Helmet Fogs in the Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
    Yes, Marty- I really want to keep using the Torc, but I am prepared to change into something else temporarily if it is what it takes to be safe in the rain. Wish my SG Bagger had a helmet lock to carry the back-up helmet....for some reason there is no helmet lock. Maybe it interferes with the bags.

Phil mentioned a visor, and I surmised that would be to keep the water from running down on your face and inside the helmet, but it seems the wind would blow the water inside the helmet and make it very wet inside if there was no (foggy) face shield.

Still gathering useful input.
    Hi Mike,
    The HJC IS33 has stayed dry inside when the rain was moderate and short lived. On my ride home from XSSE 8 hours in heavy to torrential rain the front edge got wet but not uncomfortable.
    Water found a way past my waterproof jacket too and that was uncomfortable
    I would not ride with a helmet on the helmet lock as that is not it's purpose.
    A top box or the elastic net that secures helmet to saddle are options for carrying alternate helmet.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
      I am surprised no one has mentioned if the rain goes inside the helmet if you don't have a face shield (i.e. goggles). Phil mentioned a visor, and I surmised that would be to keep the water from running down on your face and inside the helmet, but it seems the wind would blow the water inside the helmet and make it very wet inside if there was no (foggy) face shield.

Still gathering useful input.
      For riding in the rain, a full face helmet is the best option. Some of them work better than others.

I think many reading this understand your helmet is old. I understand it to be a new Torc like you had last year at XSSE. Behind a windshield, if most of the breeze is going over your head, your helmet will be fine with goggles. I have one just like it. It won't fill with water if it fits properly. A visor won't help at all. Your hot breath behind the face shield is going to be a problem. The shield has to go under those conditions. Isn't the advantage of a 3/4 helmet to have your face in the wind? Ditch the shield.

Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

FWIW I ride with a windscreen and always have the helmet visor up..if its raining I lower it to partially open...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Sorry I skipped that part and to answer if its a medium to hard rain and you have no shield on the helmet and you are not flying like a bat outa hell with your head buried in a windshield rain will blow onto your face into your helmet and funnel down your neck. Rain will soak your chest go over your shoulder down your back. Ride long enough you will be soaked. A good full face with a rain coat with a good high collar will deflect the rain around even if there is no windshield and the biggest thing you will fight is sweating. So make sure the rain coat is temp appropriate, and breathable is your best friend. If you just wear goggles make sure the rain has a path to flow around and not down the collar. In the rain you need focus on the road and cars not fighting to see or breath.

One more thing my wind shield is not for rain or wind. My full face is not for wind or rain. In the years I have ridden I do not have enough fingers to count the rocks and other debris that have not hit me because of them.
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Finally Taking Action

After all the advice, I started looking for a full face helmet, one with a shield I could open a notch or to when it began to fog. I didn't really like any of the options and the prices were high.

I went to back to looking for a solution with the helmet I have. Yes, Marty, I do like my Torc T-50 you saw last year, and it is like the one in that picture. I agree it will never work in the rain with the bubble shield like I have it now.

So, after gathering all the suggestions, I ended up buying 4 different solutions for less than $15/each:

A bubble shield that can be raised to let out the steam:

The equivalent flip up feature in a flat face shield:

A half face shield:

And some goggles with good ventilation:

Eventually, I'll report what works the best for me.

Meanwhile, I hope I don't need to try them out at XSSE!
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Those goggles are identical to the ones I used to jump with. Good goggles - you'll like 'em.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
              X