Helmet Fogs in the Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Fogs in the Rain

I don't have much experience riding in the rain, but I want to be prepared.

In my previous experience in the rain with NO windscreen or fairing on the bike, the face shield on my helmet fogged so badly I could not see where I was going at all.

Now my SF has a windscreen, and of course the SG Bagger has a big honking Pacifico fairing.

Do I need a face shield on my helmet behind a windscreen? Behind a fairing? If no, will the inside of my helmet get wet?

If a helmet face shield is normally used, will it still fog behind the windscreen or fairing?

I recognize my Torc T-50 helmet with a bubble face shield is not the most modern technology. I liked the style because it is like the original Arthur Fulmer I have used for over 30 years. Do I need to abandon it if it rains, and use something designed for better ventilation?

I appreciate knowing how others ride in the rain without being blinded by a fogging face shield.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

I have the windshield on my XS at the moment, and got caught in the rain. Don't remember fog or not. But, my recommendation would be Rain-X for plastics.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Your 30 year old helmet will NOT be good if you need it. The material used in the foam liner for compression when hit breaks down after a while. The "newer" helmets for the most part have a LOT better airflow, so they don't fog up as much.
      I wear modular or full face ONLY, and have for many years. On some of my helmets I do need to crack the shield just a little to keep the fogging down. My latest HJC Modular does not need it cracked, as it has a pinlock shield, and almost never fogs.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
        In my previous experience in the rain with NO windscreen or fairing on the bike, the face shield on my helmet fogged so badly I could not see where I was going at all.
        Mike,
        I remember that ride at XSSE '15! I was surprised you didn't have a BIG problem.

My personal driving experience in the rain is somewhat limited as well but I have been caught in a couple rain storms with and without a windscreen. Most recently on a ride to NC with Marty I got TOTALLY DRENCHED.

I wear a full face modular with good venting. I did not have ANY issue at all with fogging.

Kurt
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Given the right certain circumstances (humidity/temp-wise) most visors fog up.
          I've bought full faced helmets that brag about not fogging because of special coatings, eye glasses that lensmakers brag won't fog...
          Don't believe any of it.

I've even used antifog spray stuff on my visors and glasses... still fogged.

Here's the best advice...
          Get a full-faced helmet.
          Get a brand, (like mine is a Scorpion), and has a small lever on the side of the helmet that opens the visor about 1/4". That, coupled with antifog coating on the visor, combined with the nose piece inside the helmet do a great job preventing fog.

Worst fog up situation I've ever experienced was leaving Silverton, Co. at 10 pm, at 30 degrees, and heavy snow. No matter what I tried, the only way to be able to see w/o fog up was with my visor OPEN. That was 14 kinds of suck!
          Barely able to see the tail lights of the wrecker that was carrying Trbig's bike to Durango after it broke down.

There three of us were following the wrecker on our bikes, and where was Trbig?
          In the nice warm cab of the wrecker, complaining about how high the driver had the heat up too...

So, sometimes, no matter what... it's gonna fog up.

I do like my Scorpions visor feature, though. Usually works well, just by cracking it open slightly.
          Bob
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Mike,

If you're committed to that helmet, you should get some goggles. They need to be vented. My last ones were Bobster, over glasses.

They were fine for me in the rain behind a windscreen. There is no hope for the bubble shield. It will fog up every time.

Not all goggles are created equal.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Hi Mike,
              You will need a visor or goggles behind a windshield/ fairing in the rain.
              Which I think was your original question. I use an HJC IS33 helmet and have had no fogging problems. It is a compromise that may suit you.
              3/4 with full visor.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Helpful Input So Far

I appreciate everyone's comments so far.

The recurring thoughts are:
                • Need something
                • Ventilation is important
                • Goggles and/or visor are options
                • HJC and Scorpion are recommended

Let's see if any other input comes along.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

I thought the idea was to usr thr Torc. If not, lots of options.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Several things create the fog and not sure about your helmet or shield but for me RainX is a must as even the windshield can fog. I have a mouth vent but I often need to lift my visor up about 2 clicks 1/4 inch. And when stopped often have to either lift visor or control my breath and direct it down. I have driven hours in fog, heavy rain, and light rain. Unless you are in a light summer rain and consistently moving at a good rate of speed you will need something else as eye cover and it will need to be vented. Just glasses will not work the rain will run underneath and into eyes so goggles as previously suggested would work but other than some of these specialized helmet shield systems rain, fog, and severe cold just sucks.
                    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                    1980 G Silverbird
                    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                    1198 Overbore kit
                    Grizzly 660 ACCT
                    Barnett Clutch Springs
                    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                    122.5 Main Jets
                    ACCT Mod
                    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                    Antivibe Bar ends
                    Rear trunk add-on
                    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      Mike,

If you're committed to that helmet, you should get some goggles. They need to be vented. My last ones were Bobster, over glasses.

They were fine for me in the rain behind a windscreen. There is no hope for the bubble shield. It will fog up every time.

Not all goggles are created equal.
                      Reminds me of the goggles I used to use for skydiving. I got mine at Sport RX, and the thing I really liked about them was that I could get them with my eyeglass prescription. So if you want goggles, but wear prescription glasses...
                      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

More

Yes, Marty- I really want to keep using the Torc, but I am prepared to change into something else temporarily if it is what it takes to be safe in the rain. Wish my SG Bagger had a helmet lock to carry the back-up helmet....for some reason there is no helmet lock. Maybe it interferes with the bags.

ViperRon- I think to source of my fog is breath condensing on the rain cooled face-shield.

I am surprised no one has mentioned if the rain goes inside the helmet if you don't have a face shield (i.e. goggles). Phil mentioned a visor, and I surmised that would be to keep the water from running down on your face and inside the helmet, but it seems the wind would blow the water inside the helmet and make it very wet inside if there was no (foggy) face shield.

Still gathering useful input.
                        -Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Here's something you might try in a pinch - spit on your visor and rub it around with your fingers. Scuba divers spit in their masks to keep them from fogging, and I spit on the mirror I use to shave in the shower, and it gets rid of the fog. Near as I can figure it works because you're applying a film of saliva, and saliva doesn't fog. Might sound a little gross, but it works. Might work on a helmet visor too if you get caught out in the rain. JAT
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

My GMAX helmet has an optional snowmachine visor, with 2 layers on it. Basically, the same idea as the newer Pinlock ones. Mine WILL NOT fog. I too, tried the sprays and even cracking the shield open a bit in the rain, but I just ended up with half fog, half wet. The single-layer shields that claim they won't fog are just lying to you. I am in the market for a new helmet now, and I will definitely be getting a helmet with a pinlock shield. My eyes are set on the HJC RPHA ST with the internal drop-down sunshield.

Remember, the foam inside your helmet deteriorates with time, and the heat, sweat and pressure of your head increases the rate of the decay. Once a helmet is 5 years old, you really should start to look for a replacement, regardless of how pretty it might look on the outside.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

whenever I ride in rain i keep the visor on my full face helmets cracked about 2 detents...pretty much also what Ron said +1 to that...
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X