No announcement yet.

Low profile half helmet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kevlar pants are probably expensive but sound like a good idea.

-I have a couple pairs, at $80 that isn't expensive.

Arguments can be made that people ride without helmets and half helmets often get out of wrecks with bruises and scrapes. Also that people with full face helmets do die of head injuries

-The people who get out of accidents with only scrapes and bruises wearing a half helmet would have had the same outcome with a full-face helmet. The ones that died with half helmets because of massive head injuries probably wouldn't have died with a full face.

I'll take the safety of my riding class experience, half helmet with full spectrum view, and ease of turning my head in full rotation versus a full helmet any day of the week!

-That doesn't sound like a very good riding class if that is the experience you came away with. The eye port on a full face helmet has more peripheral vision potential then I can use looking straight ahead. And are they kidding about the ease of turning your head with a half helmet vs. Full face helmet? That's ridiculous. What a joke if that is truly what you were taught and believe from that class.
    Last edited by Bonz; 07-31-2016, 07:57 PM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I have both full and three quarter helmets, no halves but I'm a conehead so I'm pointy on top and any of my helmets should at least theoretically get more and better penetration than any of your round, mushroom, or oval helmets before my head pops off and it's just a bucket.

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

My 02 cents

I'll have to agree with the guys here regarding a full face helmet,I would prefer to keep my jaw teeth and not so pretty face as they are ...As far as weight and peripheral vision of a full face helmet goes, motocross helmets are very light and the eye port is very large ...might look a bit strange but who cares ?Before I bought proper street riding boots I used to wear motocross boots too!
        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

The modular is the way to go I think. It can go from a full face to an open face (which is how I ride most of the time).

The full face is best for when you're carving hard, or in rain, or cold weather. I get a bit claustrophobic with the face piece down and it's hot it real warm weather.

Also, the Bluetooth is great for listening to music, turn by turn GPS, and answering the phone on the road.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I would love to have a modular, just never found one to fit my big melon head.

The Shoei Quest is the best fitting helmet I've ever had, however when I replace it I will be looking at modulars. I think there are more modular options than five years ago when I bought the Shoei.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

You might check out that Neotec, Howard.
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Will do! Going to try on some different ones at a local shop in the next couple weeks.
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                  Will do! Going to try on some different ones at a local shop in the next couple weeks.
                  .....hope that consists of full coverage or modular at the LEAST!.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yes, that has been the conversation, to see if a modular fits better than last time when I bought my Shoei Quest. No modulars fit my head correctly at that time. Still not sure a modular chin bar is as sturdy as a full face chin bar, but that was 5 years ago.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                      Yes, that has been the conversation, to see if a modular fits better than last time when I bought my Shoei Quest. No modulars fit my head correctly at that time. Still not sure a modular chin bar is as sturdy as a full face chin bar, but that was 5 years ago.
                      Yup.......but I'm sure your chin has stiffened up a bit since then.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Check out the HJC RPHA MAX helmet. It's a modular that is within 1 db of the Nolan, for half the money! I've had mine for about 6 months and love it. It's quiet, flows air when I want it to, and keeps me warm in the winter. My hearing isn't so good anymore, thanks to thousands of m16 rounds in the army. I have bad tinnitus, and this helmet has helped keep the ringing down. It is modular, and light weight for a modular. I've had a Shoei and didn't like it because of the noise.
                        Price isn't cheap, at about $450 retail, but I got mine online for about $325 as a "closeout" of last years model.
                        And yes, I STILL wear full face or modular helmets, because I trust all the drivers to see me when I'm on a bike....
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                        X