Low profile half helmet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low profile half helmet.

I have been riding with the same helmet I got off of leatherup (hawk or something) for a while and the end of my strap is starting to fray to all heck!
    I purchased an HCI 100 last week after reading it was comfortable and low profile. For me, woah that thing was a giant mushroom! I have an oval head shape, 180 lbs 5-9. It is tough to get even glasses to look good yet alone a helmet on my skinny head.
    I work with a guy who told me about an SOA ispired helmet. First thought was, "really, SOA?" Then I looked into it and it claimed to be the smallest shell ever made. I went for it and it came in today....
    GLORIOUS! It feels great, looks better than my half shell and the HCI 100 I went for last week. The HCI will be shipped back this weekend.
    The chin strap is even better! Ratcheting instead of the d rings. That will be awesome for when I stop for gas and don't have to spend what feels like 2 minutes to take off my gloves and helmet to let my head breathe a little.
    79 SF
    79 GL1000

Not for me. I will take not looking cool so I don't have to drink my dinner for the rest of my life after face planting in my next fall.

I'm not that brave. Older I get the more gear I wear.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
      Not for me. I will take not looking cool so I don't have to drink my dinner for the rest of my life after face planting in my next fall.

I'm not that brave. Older I get the more gear I wear.

John
      Yup, most head injuries in a crash are to the chin/jaw.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I got pretty lucky. It's certainly better than no helmet. I did hit my head hard enough to receive a concussion. Memory blanked and a bad headache.

Last edited by jetmechmarty; 07-29-2016, 02:53 PM.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Just yesterday I was trying to talk my buddy out of moving from a full helmet to a half helmet. If he insists on getting something other than the full, I hope he at least compromises and gets a full with a removable chin like my Speed & Strength. I told him I'm looking at moving to a true full helmet with Snell or ECE rating. I'm also going to be switching out all of my foam padding for D3O armor and I've started wearing kevlar reinforced riding jeans for longer rides.

I'm in the same boat where the older I get, the more I'm willing to spend on safety equipment as I realize just how vulnerable I am.

That being said, I'm not going to give someone a hard time over the decisions they make regarding what they feel is "safe enough" for them. I don't currently wear boots or a full kangaroo leather riding suit and don't always wear gloves, but there's plenty of people who would judge me for it.
          82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
          Website/Blog

Comment

The kevlar pants are probably expensive but sound like a good idea. I know a few people who have plastic inserts for jackets but tend to only wear it all when it's not upwards of 90+ degrees.
            I'm glad you didn't have more than the concussion Jet.
            When talking about safety someone could say don't even ride a bike. Statistics say 100% of people who don't own a bike don't crash one.
            Arguments can be made that people ride without helmets and half helmets often get out of wrecks with bruises and scrapes. Also that people with full face helmets do die of head injuries.
            The only sure thing to increase the level of safety is a rider course which teaches you to avoid the accident in the first place.
            For now I will focus on my safe riding and comfort which saves a lot more people than the situationally unaware with any type of helmet made of any material. Maybe I will go full face again one day but probably only on cold days. I have 4 helmets right now 2 of them being full face and comfortable but just too hot and restrictive for my liking. The new helmet also covers low enough to protect the occipital bone in the back of the head.
            I'll take the safety of my riding class experience, half helmet with full spectrum view, and ease of turning my head in full rotation versus a full helmet any day of the week!
            79 SF
            79 GL1000

Comment

I didn't see a speed and strength helmet with a removable chin. What model is that one Prothec?
              I know of the Bell rogue which I think is a cool concept but doesn't look good nor provide full face protection. Plus it's expensive!
              79 SF
              79 GL1000

Comment

It's the SS2200. I un-clip one side to ease putting on and removing. This lets me keep my glasses when putting it on and taking it off unlike every other full helmet I've tried which require me to take my glasses off.

The only thing I'm sad about with this helmet is it doesn't fit my Sena 10S speakers well even with modification.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-doctor-helmet
                Website/Blog

Comment

Just bought one of these a couple weeks ago for the trip out to Colorado for the rally

https://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-M.../dp/B014UTQQCM

Overall, was excellent. temps were around 100 out there and back and it wasn't too bad. On occasion i did crack the visor open for a little extra air. The flip down sun visor is a really nice feature, as well as being able to raise the chin bar for putting the helmet on/off or slower speeds to cool off a bit.

I have used a modular for quite a few years now. I don't kid myself into believing it is as protective as a full face but it is much better than no helmet or a half helmet. I have never had a problem with visibility or moving my head.

I'll take the safety of my riding class experience, half helmet with full spectrum view, and ease of turning my head in full rotation versus a full helmet any day of the week!
                  if they actually taught you in a safety riding class that a half helmet is safer .... you deserve your money back.
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Tarzan31 View Post
                    The kevlar pants are probably expensive but sound like a good idea. I know a few people who have plastic inserts for jackets but tend to only wear it all when it's not upwards of 90+ degrees.
                    I'm glad you didn't have more than the concussion Jet.
                    When talking about safety someone could say don't even ride a bike. Statistics say 100% of people who don't own a bike don't crash one.
                    Arguments can be made that people ride without helmets and half helmets often get out of wrecks with bruises and scrapes. Also that people with full face helmets do die of head injuries.
                    The only sure thing to increase the level of safety is a rider course which teaches you to avoid the accident in the first place.
                    For now I will focus on my safe riding and comfort which saves a lot more people than the situationally unaware with any type of helmet made of any material. Maybe I will go full face again one day but probably only on cold days. I have 4 helmets right now 2 of them being full face and comfortable but just too hot and restrictive for my liking. The new helmet also covers low enough to protect the occipital bone in the back of the head.
                    Have read ALL the previous input, so not just singling you out Tarzan 31.
                    Having experienced a 35mph T-bone, when offender coming from opposite direction made a left turn directly in front of me.
                    I have absolutely no recollection of accident nor vehicle involved....just the permanent titanium plates holding parts together(pelvis, forearm and femmer).
                    This all took place last June with a two month hospital stay. Doctors/surgeons stated couldn't be fixed a second time, and even a trip and fall scenario has a 98% chance of leaving me permanently wheelchair bound........not good odds! Could still ride my Venturer, as accident took place on my Honda ST......totaling bike.
                    At the time , I was wearing full armoured gear and a nice quality 3/4 helmet. As for the helmet, it is just a remeberance to look at with majority of riders signatures and screen names all over it.
                    I also had at the time a brand new full coverage HJC helmet, stowed in the rear trunk. It should of been on my head instead, as I received broken nose, side of jaw area scunned up and damaged eye socket. Those injuries last mentioned healed fine, but likely could have been avoided had I worn the full coverage HJC.
                    All I can say, having also been a 3/4 helmet fanatic for 50+yrs.(cept for some 25yrs. of moto-x), if I were to elect to throw a leg over another scoot or my Venturer again, the full coverage or at the least a modular helmet would be on my noggin'.......period.

Not something to try and justify with lame excuses........and that's all they are....lame........not woth it folks. I am reminded with my permanent injuries the whole time while awake. not something I particularly care for, but am most thankful that I am still vertical and can walk.....trotting or running definitely out of the question though, not happening anymore.

So, firsthand experience with that...........ATGATT!..........period, no excuses allowed!
                    Last edited by motoman; 07-30-2016, 08:50 PM.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      I also had at the time a brand new full coverage HJC helmet, stowed in the rear trunk. It should of been on my head instead, as I received broken nose, side of jaw area scunned up and damaged eye socket. Those injuries last mentioned healed fine, but likely could have been avoided had I worn the full coverage HJC.
                      All I can say, having also been a 3/4 helmet fanatic for 50+yrs.(cept for some 25yrs. of moto-x), if I were to elect to throw a leg over another scoot or my Venturer again, the full coverage or at the least a modular helmet would be on my noggin'.......period.

So, firsthand experience with that...........ATGATT!..........period, no excuses allowed!
                      Absolutely correct Brant. ( I was there folks). Get a real helmet or don't get on the bike..
                      and I'm not gonna apologize for saying that.
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                        Absolutely correct Brant. ( I was there folks). Get a real helmet or don't get on the bike..
                        and I'm not gonna apologize for saying that.
                        That he was....... behind me with one vehicle between him and I!
                        Have abosolutely no memory of incident, but again, many thanks goes to Dean and his medical backround till EMTs arrived on scene!
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          That he was....... behind me with one vehicle between him and I!
                          Have abosolutely no memory of incident, but again, many thanks goes to Dean and his medical backround till EMTs arrived on scene!
                          That would be no vehicles between us Brant. About 4 car lengths it was. I got my hands on the video from the trial, but I know you don't want to see it.

To the original poster. You said you already have two full face helmets. Wear one of em!
                          And I don't give a crap about helmet laws. It's our own decision. Don't be stupid.
                          80 SG
                          81 SH in parts
                          99 ST1100
                          91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                            Just bought one of these a couple weeks ago for the trip out to Colorado for the rally

https://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-M.../dp/B014UTQQCM
                            How was the wind noise? Thinking about it, the other cons of my SS2200 is that it does have a lot of wind noise and has nothing to block any wind from coming in under the chin in cold weather besides wearing a neck gaiter.

All this talk of new helmets... I'm going to have to go out this week and try some on at my local motorcycle superstore (Iron Pony).
                            Website/Blog

Comment

Wind noise wasn't too bad, but I wear earbuds and listen to music all the time. It comes with a little insert to block the wind from coming up under the chin. Might be nice in colder weather, I took it out since it was 100 degrees out, so can't tell you how well it would work.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X