No announcement yet.

ATGATT ~ Time to GEAR UP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have an HJC full face. Gave around $200 for it... solid black.
    It's a good helmet, but...

Nowhere near the features, quality, or comfort of this Scorpion.
    For the money... can't beat it.

I will also add... I have a friend that also has a huge head. He uses a 2XL Shoei full face. There IS a sizing difference between Shoei's 2XL and Scorpion's 2XL!
    He can't get mine on. His is WAY too big for me. Shoei's more round and Scorpion's more long shaped. My advice, try each on BEFORE you order one online.
    Bob
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
      +1 about the Shoei Neotec. If you want a modular, they're great.
      Lots of Connie riders swear by them as their #1 choice.

But... they are pricey!

Get ready to spend $6-700, depending if you want a solid or graphic...

Not sure if you can get a Neotec in yellow, but can get one in white.
      You can get it in Yellow...just not HI-Viz yellow...solid colors are in the $5-600 range from what i saw... My HJC SYMAX2 in White was about $300 bought 7 yrs ago...I like being able to get more air to my face and head if i need it...HJC fits very well and seems quiet enough...but then again i am mostly deaf when i ride...That Scorpin looks real nice Bob...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FYIfhgodWLEKJA
      Last edited by madmax-im; 07-09-2016, 03:56 PM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        You can get it in Yellow...just not HI-Viz yellow...solid colors are in the $5-600 range from what i saw... My HJC SYMAX2 in White was about $300 bought 7 yrs ago...I like being able to get more air to my face and head if i need it...HJC fits very well and seems quiet enough...but then again i am mostly deaf when i ride...That Scorpin looks real nice Bob...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FYIfhgodWLEKJA
        Thanks Ben!
        I love it! This is my 3rd Scorpion, and I like this one best
        First one was a black EXO700. It was great, but didn't have the features.
        Second, was the EXO500 Corsica. It had the features, but was rounder shaped, and didn't have as much ventilation as this 1200 JAG has.
        Best bang for the buck I've found so far.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

The issue with helmets is the shape. I know some of the helmets you are listing don't fit me. For example, in HJC it takes a 2X to get on my noggin, but it's sloppy on the sides. Many of them are like that.

Here is a helpful link for those who know the shape of their head:
          http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            For example, in HJC it takes a 2X to get on my noggin, but it's sloppy on the sides. Many of them are like that.
            I definitely want a Hi-Viz helmet. Probably get one for Nancy as well. The big problem is trying it on! I'm not about to send a TON of money to an on-line seller for one of these.

Sure, it might be cheaper online, but I don't want the hassle of mailing it back, waiting on refunds, etc. etc.

I'm going to ask if Cycle Gear can get one in for me in 2X..... Otherwise, I need to find a place that STOCKS these helmets.
            Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
            1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
            1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
            1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
            1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
            1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
            1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
            1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
            2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
              I definitely want a Hi-Viz helmet. Probably get one for Nancy as well. The big problem is trying it on! I'm not about to send a TON of money to an on-line seller for one of these.

Sure, it might be cheaper online, but I don't want the hassle of mailing it back, waiting on refunds, etc. etc.

I'm going to ask if Cycle Gear can get one in for me in 2X..... Otherwise, I need to find a place that STOCKS these helmets.
              lots of local bike shops in your area...........can even ask Jeff of the better locations there.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

100 degrees in GA.... ATGATT sure is HOT!

Took a nice 120 ride today with all the gear (that I currently own).

It's a 100 degrees today here in GA. Darn that ATGATT is hot. Poor Nancy had the new jacket on... I got to get her one of mesh too like mine... Poor ole' gal!

I passed at minimum of 50 other bikers. Not one (that I noticed) had long sleeves on. Not sure I noticed anyone with gloves either.

https://youtu.be/mTHQBeXlT5M
                You can see all the gear on in my mirror.

Kurt
                Last edited by kboehringer; 07-10-2016, 04:05 PM.
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                  Darn that ATGATT is hot. Poor Nancy had the new jacket on... I got to get her one of mesh too like mine... Poor ole' gal!

Right on! I wear my full leathers even out in Aridzona and people ask me if it's hot. I just smile and tell 'em you get used to it and drink lots of water, then ask how 'hot' they think it would get and how long it would stay that way if something went wrong and they had to regrow most of their skin. Most of 'em get it.

-- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I dress for the crash...not for the rash....As I age i find i need more discretion about time of day..If i am home and its just recreational riding...most of it is...then i would tend to ride early mornings or later in the evenings and avoid the heat of day,,,but truly crossing the continent then one is more likely to be riding all day long...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Now here is a huge misconception about heavy non mesh gear or has a little mesh but isnt truly a summer jacket.......There have been scientific studies done that riding with mesh gear is only good up to about 95*...after that its oo hot to benefit from mesh fabrics because at that point you are just staring to cook yourself...It has been found that someone riding in extreme heat is better off and cooler by restricting airflow when its 95+ degrees out...Much in the same way wrapping up in the winter insulates you from the cold...You can insulate against the heat as well...consequently you do not dehydrate as quickly,,,at some point too hot is too effinn hot...LOL Yes hydration is a key factor as well. I jnoew many folks carry their own water bladder likie a camelback and hydrate as they ride...best of all worlds...as you dont need to stop just for that reason alone...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hard to believe but TRUE!

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                        SNIP.....You can insulate against the heat as well...consequently you do not dehydrate as quickly...SNIP......
                        Ben,
                        I recently had a similar discussion on this topic with one of my co-workers. There is a big construction project on a neighboring property. ALL of the laborers are wearing LONG sleeve shirts and PANTS. Sure would look like the time for a short-sleeve shirt and shorts. Only the "Rookies" dress that way in the HOT-Atlanta sun! The guys with experience will tell ya' they are much more comfortable with the long sleeves to RETAIN some of the moisture on their skin and keep the sun OFF.
                        KURT
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by andreashweiss View Post
                          I admire the guys that can ride almost naked (shorts,t shirt etc)
                          What's to admire? Stupidity?

Agree with all your gear though, Andreas!

Regarding helmets...Any good fitting full face in WHITE.
                          80 SG
                          81 SH in parts
                          99 ST1100
                          91 ST1100

Comment

I rode some yesterday.
                            Pulled up to a stoplight at Riverside and Deleware in Jenks.
                            A girl pulled up next to me on a new Harley Sportster.
                            She looked to be 18-21 yrs. old.
                            She had on a tee shirt, shorts, tennis shoes, and a pink backpack...
                            (Did have a half helmet on.)

Immediately, I had a flash back to me "younger days"...

She was looking at me in all my hi-viz gear and full faced helmet.
                            I figure she and I were both thinking the same thing, since it was about 96 w/ a heat index of 101...

Something along the lines of, "Crazy!!"

But, being older, (and experienced...) I knew the heat I was experiencing was just temporary... Lol!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Saw my first Immortal of the season yesterday on a Harley knock-off: full helmet, no shirt, no gloves, biking shorts, and canvas deck shoes.

It won't do squat if he goes down but in a twisted sort of way I guess it was better than florescent gear because everyone noticed him and gave him space.

-- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

sounds like one of my deafie friends...Freedom ya know...have to have the right to full pain and suffering...
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X