Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATGATT ~ Time to GEAR UP!

XS11 Friends,
    I really stinks that a good friend has to have a crash to wake me up enough to look at my gear but that was the impetuous. When JetMechMarty went down last week he got some bumps and bruises but no significant injury thanks to the proper gear that he ALWAYS uses.

I know there are others on this site who have taken a fall (or two) but I know Marty personally and he's a heck of a lot more experienced in street driving than me. If he can take a fall, it's only a matter of time before it happens to me... IT'S TIME FOR ME TO GET PREPARED.

I've had a nice quality Pilot armored summer riding jacket for several months and I always were it, my full face modular helmet, and leather gloves. I've had guys as work ask me how the heck I wear that stuff in HOT-LANTA and I explain it's insurance. BUT, I also typically wear Levis and leather sneakers. I also carry Nancy along most every time a bike goes anywhere (except to work). Nancy has no bonafide "riding gear".

Today we ran over to "Cycle Gear" and spend over $300. That's just a START on what we're going to need to do it right. We each got a pair of KEVLAR riding jeans (sliders?) with knee pads and extra BUTT padding. Nancy also got a nice BILT riding jacket with armored pads and a removable winter liner....

This is probably our first of MANY purchases to get ourselves to a level of safety that is required by this sport. I'm open to suggestions and the checkbook is ready!

What are you wearing? Are you ready for a fall? What other things do you guys with thousands of highway miles under your belts suggest?

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Interesting that u referred to riding as a "sport", which puts it in perspective regarding the "equipment" needed for it.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I have been riding legally for 40 yrs now...but only since 2007 or 08 have i been ATGATT...prior to that all those years it was a half helmet...leather work boots leather jacket without armor...no gloves and blue jeans... Since then I have seen the wrriting on the wall and its only a matter of when not if ....However, dont be under a misconception that being ATGATT will always save your life...depending upon the circumstances it may not...there are no guarantees here and you should not be under any illusion of thoughts that now you are impervious to death and injury...Such is not the case...yes ATGATT will save you from more serious injuries and by all means take the proper precautios to minimize the pain and suffering in the event you do "go down"
      I saw Mart's helmet and i'm shakin my head because he was extremely lucky. Had his face and jaw come down on there ..welll with that helmet...suffice to say it would have been much worse....
      I know alot of xs riders who think because their bikes are 30 yrs old that the gear they wear can be of similar vintage...SMH
      My gear includes summer and winter jackets and pants...mesh in the warmer months ofc...3 full face helmets of which only one is modular...the only gear which is not MC safe are my boots...but I have tried to find good MC boots that i like and have yet to find any...so its a pair of Danner police/duty boots...
      Last edited by madmax-im; 07-04-2016, 04:04 PM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

My gear consists of the following....
        Olympia Motorsports...
        AST Jacket: 3 season 3/4 length Jacket in HI Viz Lime/Yellow
        Ranger 2 Pants...water resistant and heavier material for cooler weather or rainy weather
        Airglide mesh Jacket..in Hi Viz Lime/Yellow
        Airglide mesh summer pants
        3 helmets;
        Shoei TZ-R Full face..very comfortable and has wonderful ventilation in Black
        Shoei Qwest full face..a;most as good as the TZR in Black
        HJC Symax2 Modular helmet..in White...this is usually the warmer weather helmet
        I also have a Police style white half helmet made by Scorpion...becaus despite it all I still like the openness of it..
        Gloves are any brand that has aarmored knuckles and padding in the plams plus has mesh for breathability
        Firstgear;
        1 3 season jacket i bought used from someone on ADVrider forums...its blue...it isnt worn much but it has all the armor one would expect to find ...
        this is most of it....
        Last edited by madmax-im; 07-04-2016, 04:17 PM.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I have been down on the bike twice. The first ended up with a broken windshield, ego and a few bruises. I still remember the loud crack of my helmet hitting the pavement. That has always stuck with me and I generally wear a helmet whether required to or not (though I do support your rights not to, if you choose). The second time I was not as lucky and shattered my knee and tibia. Nothing any gear could have changed about that. Just bad luck and the way my leg hit the ground.

I do have riding pants that I am working on fitting my too large arse back into, but generally just wear jeans. I always wear an armored jacket and have one in mesh for warm weather and a cold weather armored coat. And don't forget the gloves. I was a moron and the ONE time i was too lazy to go back in and get my gloves (it was just gonna be a short ride) is when I had my wreck. Paid for that with months of skin growing back on the back of my hand. Its the only road rash I had at all.

I wear steel toe riding boots. Still managed to break a toe in my wreck, but I am sure it would have been worse without them.

One note about armored jackets. They can break your ribs. I saw it happen to Greg (BA80) and it happened to me. Go down on your side and land on that hard elbow pad and it will happen. Mine broke 3 but was mostly just uncomfortable for a month or so, saved my elbow though so I will take that trade-off. Greg on the other hand, ended up with a punctured lung and spleen. Damn lucky they were on it and airlifted him to the ER. Was a close thing.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Kurt,
            I hear and agree with you about gear.
            I, too, shop a lot at CycleGear.
            They sell a good quality pair of armoured riding shorts that I own 2 pr. of.
            Below 80 degrees, I wear those under those same Bilt jeans you bought.
            Above 80, I wear them under mesh armoured riding pants.

I also wear an EVS ribcage protector under my hi-viz yellow mesh Bilt armoured jacket in hot weather, or under my Firstgear hi-viz yellow waterproof textile armoured jacket if it's 80 or cooler/rainy.

I wear Alpinestars SMX-2 carbon fiber vented gloves.
            I usually wear ventilated tall Bilt "Racer" boots in hot dry weather, or my Puma's for wet weather. Problem is, when the rain stops and it gets hot, my feet are hot, too! Just ordered a new pair of TourMaster Solution WP's. They're supposed to solve both situations... ventilated, yet waterproof. Bohn's worn them for years and swears by them.

Been down only once in my time riding. That was enough to make me NEVER get back on one w/o wearing the gear. Coulda saved myself a LOT of pain if I had been using gear that day, instead of shorts/tee shirt/tennis shoes! Instead, I said "Screw that! It's 100 degrees out! Too hot, no fun if ya gotta wear all that!" I had no idea what real "HOT" really was until that happened. Roadrash sux!

Interesting observation, Harry! I never imagined that an armoured jackets elbow pads could break ribs! But I now can imagine that happening...

To each his own. I've seen guys ride in half-helmets or w/o one. Their choice.
            I'd love the convenience of a modular like a Shoei Neotec, but have seen how poorly they fare if you happen to do a faceplant. Not good... and I kinda like my teeth, face, and jaws the way they are. So I'll stick to a full faced helmet.

I've actually been ridiculed by some for the gear I use...
            and... who knows? They may be right. Nothing, given the wrong set of circumstances, may save me in a crash. But, I feel it may just work like Marty's gear did... saved him from lots more pain and injuries. To me, I've made the personal choice that it's worth it.

I remember a conversation I had with a close friend about half helmets once.
            He liked their convenience, and wide range of view. I warned him about the lack of protection. Not long after, he crashed. Hurt him bad. Facial injuries, brain injuries... would a full faced helmet prevented some of those injuries? Maybe... maybe not. Who knows?

Every time we throw a leg across a bike, we assume the risk, and take the personal responsibility and roll the dice... regardless how we choose to suit up, for the outcome of the ride.

I say, I'm not preparing for the ride... I'm preparing for the crash. Each time I arrive safely home... I thank God, I know my mother's prayers (and mine) are still heard, it wasn't my time yet, and I've done my part, as best as I can, to limit the damage to my body if it should be my time. What else can you do... ?
            Except enjoy the ride!
            (Which is why I ride, anyway!)
            Bob
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

riding gear

good morning, riding since I was 15 now 39 yrs later I still need to get out in the wind. EVERYTIME I get on a bike I wear full face helmet, 3 layer modern synthetic material jacket with armour protection, pants made of the same type of material, full length long lace boots made of leather with safety toe, gloves and glasses. Only difference from when I was younger is I can afford better gear as I get older. I wish when I was younger and more foolish the gear would have been better but such is life. Try and buy the best protection you can afford. I admire the guys that can ride almost naked (shorts,t shirt etc) but I feel naked without the armour stuff from head to toe. thanx andreas

Comment

I have worked as an ER nurse on many motorcycle accidents - its not hard for me to wear protective gear.

I like a helmet that goes all the way around - I own a half helmet but have a hard time wearing it - I have fallen down even at low speeds and hit the front faceplate and thought that could have been my face. I do prefer the swing up front though.

I like different jackets but my favorite is a leather Frank Thomas - its thick and feels best at speed and the guys I tend to ride with like to go fast like Ricky Bobby.

I have an Olympia hi-vis vest I wear over whatever jacket I wear - adds extra layer and place for patches.

I like jeans at a minimum - on a long trip I wear overpants that add the high speed protection plus rain protection (everytime I ride LD it rains at some point) - best deal I found are Cabelas WORK pants - thick, reflective piping, zippers up legs to put on and off easily, and warm in cold rain.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel....mc_id=crrdtfd

They are listed as sold out but keep checking - they have other DRY PLUS pants that are not ROUGHNECK - they are thin rain gear - the Roughnecks are tough construction worker gear type - they come with pads for the knees which I do not use but it adds another layer of knee protection to the fabric to hold them. Great pants.

I have a goretex rain shell I wear over my vest and jackets if raining - I put on the hood then helmet and stay pretty dry.

Gloves - I have a ton and just like leather - I use the nylon waterproof type in cold but its all personal there - I don't like to ride without gloves.

Boots - I won't ride without ankle protection but usually just wear work boots not special MC boots. I may try some old combat boots this year who knows.

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

[QUOTE"The guys I tend to ride with like to go fast like Ricky Bobby."[/QUOTE]

You didn't know my first name was Ricky?

"I wanna go fast! I wanna go fast! I wanna go fast!!"
                  Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 07-06-2016, 12:06 PM.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by andreashweiss View Post
                    good morning, riding since I was 15 now 39 yrs later I still need to get out in the wind. EVERYTIME I get on a bike I wear full face helmet, 3 layer modern synthetic material jacket with armour protection, pants made of the same type of material, full length long lace boots made of leather with safety toe, gloves and glasses. Only difference from when I was younger is I can afford better gear as I get older. I wish when I was younger and more foolish the gear would have been better but such is life. Try and buy the best protection you can afford. I admire the guys that can ride almost naked (shorts,t shirt etc) but I feel naked without the armour stuff from head to toe. thanx andreas
                    Very well said Andreas...I concur 100%...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                      [QUOTE"The guys I tend to ride with like to go fast like Ricky Bobby."

"I wanna go fast! I wanna go fast! I wanna go fast!!"[/QUOTE]

Y'all should come back to NC...we got the Jeff Gordon Expressway and the Jimmie Johnson Freeway...signs posted " Left lane for lead footers only"...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post

"I wanna go fast! I wanna go fast! I wanna go fast!!"

Y'all should come back to NC...we got the Jeff Gordon Expressway and the Jimmie Johnson Freeway...signs posted " Left lane for lead footers only"...[/QUOTE]

Awesome!!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

I am guilty of not wearing the proper gear on the street. Ironically I do when I ride in the dirt. I need to start to do both.
                          Tim
                          1979 xs1100sf black.
                          1973 Harley fx.
                          2005 Honda 450x.

Comment

Atgatt

We all like to ride with as little clothing as needed on a hot summer day. We have all done it. I have done it many times. Is it smart? Likely not.

The reality of it is that if you go down, you are MOST likely going to get hurt even if you are wearing all of the essentials. Not wearing the proper attire usually equates to more blood, stiches, and/or broken body parts. This applies to the bike as well. If you have crash bars, you tend to do less damage to the bike.

It seems that the older we get, the more safety equipment we wear. Getting the younger guys to do the same is something we old guys should strive for.

If you are uncertain as to what you should wear, the question is: "Do you feel lucky"?
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer
                            K&N Air Filter
                            ACCT
                            Custom Paint by Deitz
                            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            EBC Front Rotors
                            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Atgatt

Here are two articles describing what riders should consider wearing while traveling on their scooters:

http://wanderlustandlipstick.com/wan...-a-motorcycle/

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-r...g-a-motorcycle
                              Last edited by MPittma100; 07-07-2016, 03:52 PM.
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment