First solo ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First solo ride

First solo ride coming up. Just finished MSF course last weekend and got license yesterday. A little nervous but I'm sure once on road that will fade.
    79 XS11SF

Good luck on your ride
    Just remember drive like they don't see you. I'm sure you will have a blast.
    81 LH in process
    09 vstar 1300
    only allowed 2

Comment

WooHoo! Have a great time!

Originally posted by aquamantx View Post
      Just remember drive like they don't see you.
      +1 on that!
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Shoot I do that in my car.
        79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by dbmb0416 View Post
          First solo ride coming up. Just finished MSF course last weekend and got license yesterday. A little nervous but I'm sure once on road that will fade.
          Be careful don't drive fast.!Watch out for every car that is waiting to pull out,or left turn in front of you.!Now go and have fun .!Be Safe..!The more time you spend in the saddle the more confident you will Get.!!
          1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
          2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

I do. I have to get used to it again. Riding 250 all weekend makes for a Huge bike again
            79 XS11SF

Comment

If you have not been told XS1100's like to take off they do not like to stop. Until you get familiar with how you bike handles stopping give yourself lots of room
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I drove it all last year. The 250's were MSF course bikes.
                79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by dbmb0416 View Post
                  STAY a little nervous........it'll keep you alive while up on two wheels!
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Have fun and stay safe

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    STAY a little nervous........it'll keep you alive while up on two wheels!
                    +1 on staying a little nervous. Personally, I tend to ride like everyone's out to kill me.
                    80 XS1100SG (the Lazarus Effect)
                    81 XJ550 bobber (sold)
                    81 XS850 (sold)

Comment

My first solo long ride... I'll never forget it.

It was the return trip from the Talihina/Talimena Drive rally.
                      Many folks here will never forget that rally. We lost a good friend a fellow member Lee Ridge that rally. (RIP, Lee.)

I had been back into riding at that time for a couple of years, and was still trying to work out some of the bugs outta my XJ.
                      I had many miles under my belt by that trip, but always with other XSives that knew how to help me work on the bike if it broke down.
                      Following the tragic events of that rally, I ended up riding back to Skiatook, Ok by myself, and I was pretty nervous about it.

My good friend Bohn Fraser noticed how nervous I was, and shared a bit of his wisdom that really helped me.
                      I will pass what he told me that day on to you, now;

"If you go on a ride, and nothing eventful ever happens, later in life when you look back to remember that ride, do you remember it?
                      When you look back on THIS ride, do you think you'll remember this one?"
                      I replied, "You bet!"
                      "Bob, it's what happens on that ride that makes it an ADVENTURE."
                      "That's what counts!"

So, I say, try not to worry about it. Embrace the adventure.
                      It's the memories of the adventure that makes it all worth the ride.

Good luck, and ride safe!
                      Bob
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Something I heard a long time ago and serves me well on a cycle... Watch the wheels of cars stopped at intersections. If they start to turn or move, they probably are pulling out and you can react accordingly. Maybe they see you and stop, which is a good thing but you are already making your move to slow down and are ahead of the game. It's very easy and very quick to pick up the movement of the wheels, unmistakeable.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

My first street ride..had to ride 24 miles to get to the test area so I could get my license.Had to go to hardware store to get a license to drive there..nutz.
                          Learning to ride in the rain,stay loose and don't tense up,it is not that bad,stay out of the oil drip line and watch out for tar snakes they will give a little OH Chit once in awhile.
                          Just beware of what is around you,front back and sides...enjoy.
                          Oh yeah watch out for the painted lines in the road especially when wet,they musta changed the paint formula around here,have a stop bar about two feet wide on a bit of a hill and I just barely make it across without sliding when I first start out.
                          '80 XS1100 SG
                          Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Bonz..I watch the wheels also and if the driver is even looking.
                            I was sitting at a light,left of the oil line and a driver pulled up in my lane and did not even tho I was there.
                            If you are a truck driver it is even worse.I was broke down in the right lane ,had my triangles set up and a car runs them over and blowing the horn for me to get moving.
                            Pay attention,trust nobody.
                            '80 XS1100 SG
                            Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Thanks for all the tips
                              79 XS11SF

Comment

Working...
                              X