Turn in my mancard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webbcraft2150 View Post
    Keep it up and I will start another tire/oil thread. Just wait, I'll get the sucker running.
    That was all good reading,funny.! Hate weed whacker s also..But love oil threads.peace.!
    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Check the flywheel key
      Carp! Maybe installing one would help.
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

No joy.

I throw in the towel. Flywheel key was/is intact.
        New carb
        Fresh gas
        Fresh fuel filter
        New plug (tried 2)
        Fat blue spark
        Coil to flywheel gap correct.
        Kill switch ok.
        120+ on compression check.
        Dump fuel in cylinder, crank it, nuthin.
        Pulled muffler/spark arrestor off, nuthin. No sign of piston scoreing. Not plugged.
        Wont even "pop" using starter fluid.
        Pulled carb off "known running unit" and installed, nuthin.
        Sacrificed my last Bultaco t-shirt in a Torco oil fueled blaze.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I throw in the towel. Flywheel key was/is intact.
          New carb
          Fresh gas
          Fresh fuel filter
          New plug (tried 2)
          Fat blue spark
          Coil to flywheel gap correct.
          Kill switch ok.
          120+ on compression check.
          Dump fuel in cylinder, crank it, nuthin.
          Pulled muffler/spark arrestor off, nuthin. No sign of piston scoreing. Not plugged.
          Wont even "pop" using starter fluid.
          Pulled carb off "known running unit" and installed, nuthin.
          Sacrificed my last Bultaco t-shirt in a Torco oil fueled blaze.
          With that last statement, sounds like it just went from bad to worse.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I had a similar situation once. Tracked it down to oil buildup on the coil connections. With plug in place, no fire. Remove plug had spark. Cure was to use brake cleaner around plug, coil assembly, generally clean around anything electrical. After that the eater fired up and I was able to give it back, in running condition, to the owner.

Clean the outside of the plug as well and make sure there are no carbon tracks on it. Carbon will short out the plug when it is installed but will let it spark if just help next to the head.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
              I had a similar situation once. Tracked it down to oil buildup on the coil connections. With plug in place, no fire. Remove plug had spark. Cure was to use brake cleaner around plug, coil assembly, generally clean around anything electrical. After that the eater fired up and I was able to give it back, in running condition, to the owner.

Clean the outside of the plug as well and make sure there are no carbon tracks on it. Carbon will short out the plug when it is installed but will let it spark if just help next to the head.
              Its worth a shot. Kinda like bad pickup coil wires. Dam thing is only a year old and still pretty clean. I will do the old "clean every connection trick" and see what happens.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I just have to ask if you have ever read the manufacturers instructions for starting it? I know it sounds stupid but I fought with a Stihl for a long time before doing the google thing and reading the starting instructions.
                Believe it or not that damn thing started the way they told me to do it and would never run unless I did it the way the instructions said.
                It was something like pull with full choke till it fires once then do three laps around the block on a wheelchair while drunk and while clipping your toenails!!! But it worked!
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I never read the instructions..pick up unit,choke on,pull,one fire and turn off choke.If it doesn't start after 15 or 20 pulls.pull plug,dry and just start with no choke.That goes for the 4 stroke 2 cycles now.
                  '80 XS1100 SG
                  Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

one thing to check on all newer 2 stroke machines.

THE SPARK ARRESTER

it looks like a bolt running into the muffler, turn it out and you should have a screen attached to it, 2T motors will eventually clog the screen and then you will have little to no exhaust coming out of the muffler.

carb cleaner and a wire brush to scrub off the soot and away you go.

my wife just fixed my neighbors 5 year old stihl leaf blower that way.

good luck.
                    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
                    1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

If the spark arrester got plugged I would get rid of the screen.
                      Now days Stihl units are four stokes that run on two cycle gas and oil mix .You do not wanna run regular gas,run the high octane..you will thank me later. I only had the commercial units and not the home owners.
                      '80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                        Now days Stihl units are four stokes that run on two cycle gas and oil mix .You do not wanna run regular gas,run the high octane..you will thank me later. I only had the commercial units and not the home owners.
                        I have a new Stihl unit I bought last year. It's a two stroke engine. Its diet is strictly ethanol free 90+ octane fuel mixed with Stihl synthetic oil. I was promised double warrantee if I treat it this way. I'm not aware of any four stroke weed whackers yet. My Stihl starts on the first pull if I follow the instructions. Nice tool!
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                          I have a new Stihl unit I bought last year. It's a two stroke engine. Its diet is strictly ethanol free 90+ octane fuel mixed with Stihl synthetic oil. I was promised double warrantee if I treat it this way. I'm not aware of any four stroke weed whackers yet. My Stihl starts on the first pull if I follow the instructions. Nice tool!
                          Also have a new Stihl 2-stroke weed wacker. Fuel usage is so little I just by the already pre-mixed regular fuel in a quart can that's been suggested by dealer. Using the regular fuel, it can set over winter full of fuel without creating a running issue come spring.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Weed Wacker, chain saw, leaf blower etc. some years back you could leave gas in them no issues as long as it was a good mix with the oil no issues. Today they have changed everything the oils have changed as they want to make them smokeless and some brands of oil will somewhat separate from the gas so good oil mix is a must. Second is a major issue and its ethanol gas. I have had several failures mainly from the units my cousins and formerly my dad where gas was left in the unit and not run dry. The ethanol gas will dissolve the flap valves the pump and many other things in the carbs as well the hose the primer bulb the check valve. You can get kits to rebuild them but its not always that easy. You can get a new carb on eBay, bolt it on and typically it will start right up. You can use ethanol will run fine but dump the crap when done and run the thing dry and don't use that no name oil mix as some is crap. The premix is great but expensive.

So mix a little good clean gas with oil dump a little into the carb and if it then fires up running just a second or two it may be the carb. If it will not fire then its the probably out of time. I have one fix that really makes me feel better. sit it on a bucket fill it with that ethanol 300 yards away and shoot it with my 300 win mag it's fixed then.
                            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                            1980 G Silverbird
                            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                            1198 Overbore kit
                            Grizzly 660 ACCT
                            Barnett Clutch Springs
                            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                            122.5 Main Jets
                            ACCT Mod
                            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                            Antivibe Bar ends
                            Rear trunk add-on
                            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                              Weed Wacker, chain saw, leaf blower etc. some years back you could leave gas in them no issues as long as it was a good mix with the oil no issues. Today they have changed everything the oils have changed as they want to make them smokeless and some brands of oil will somewhat separate from the gas so good oil mix is a must. Second is a major issue and its ethanol gas. I have had several failures mainly from the units my cousins and formerly my dad where gas was left in the unit and not run dry. The ethanol gas will dissolve the flap valves the pump and many other things in the carbs as well the hose the primer bulb the check valve. You can get kits to rebuild them but its not always that easy. You can get a new carb on eBay, bolt it on and typically it will start right up. You can use ethanol will run fine but dump the crap when done and run the thing dry and don't use that no name oil mix as some is crap. The premix is great but expensive.

So mix a little good clean gas with oil dump a little into the carb and if it then fires up running just a second or two it may be the carb. If it will not fire then its the probably out of time. I have one fix that really makes me feel better. sit it on a bucket fill it with that ethanol 300 yards away and shoot it with my 300 win mag it's fixed then.
                              Nice ViperRon!.......another good use for my 300WinMag since I quit elk hunting a couple decades ago....also a good reason to reload some more.

Comment

Working...
                              X