Turn in my mancard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn in my mancard?

Always been good at breathing life back into lawn equipment, till now. Neighbors one year old Homelite weedeater wont start. He put on new carb, sparkplug, fuel filter and fuel. No start. Give it to me I say, I will make it live. Yea, right. Check spark, good, check compression, good (120 psi, no leak down). Fresh fuel mix. Fuel filter clear and no cracks in fuel lines. Pull exhaust off thinking it was plugged, no joy. Replace plug with "known good unit", no joy. Primer bulb working. This thing wont even pop with starting fluid or "direct injection" with fuel. Check piston thru exhaust port and intake, clean, no sign of running straight gas. I admit defeat and am ready to return said weedeater with my head hung low and man card in flames. Fuel, compression, spark. What more does it want from me? Suspicion but haven't gone that deep is flywheel has sheared and "timing" is off. On top of this, my freaking truck wont start
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Originally posted by webbcraft2150 View Post
    Always been good at breathing life back into lawn equipment, till now. Neighbors one year old Homelite weedeater wont start. He put on new carb, sparkplug, fuel filter and fuel. No start. Give it to me I say, I will make it live. Yea, right. Check spark, good, check compression, good (120 psi, no leak down). Fresh fuel mix. Fuel filter clear and no cracks in fuel lines. Pull exhaust off thinking it was plugged, no joy. Replace plug with "known good unit", no joy. Primer bulb working. This thing wont even pop with starting fluid or "direct injection" with fuel. Check piston thru exhaust port and intake, clean, no sign of running straight gas. I admit defeat and am ready to return said weedeater with my head hung low and man card in flames. Fuel, compression, spark. What more does it want from me? Suspicion but haven't gone that deep is flywheel has sheared and "timing" is off. On top of this, my freaking truck wont start
    Check for spark by removing spark plug, re-attaching plug wire and laying against cyl. head while cranking over. Sounds like a possibly bad coil. As for truck, what year and model make is it?
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Spark test good on weedeater. Good enough to ignite spilled gas on workbench. Onery, cold blooded Dodge fired up, time for a new ballast resistor or hei conversion. Sometimes, only sometimes, those shiny new trucks look pretty good as do those shiny new bikes. But the current payments (like none) look pretty good on my ancient '75 Dodge W200 or 80g. The weedeater is about to have a Viking funeral.

Comment

Sounds flooded out,pull plug,let sit over nite.Try to start next day full throttle and no choke.
        '80 XS1100 SG
        Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Video of the Viking Funeral Please

I was thinking the flywheel may have a sheared key also, but those diaphragms in the carbs are touchy. One little speck of dirt and they won't run.

Got a leaf blower on the blink that I completely rebuilt that I may set in the Funeral Pyre also
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I would rather work on 4, 37 year old Yamaha carbs than work on those god forsaken leaf blower, weed wacker carbs! Hate them with a passion.
            Tim
            1979 xs1100sf black.
            1973 Harley fx.
            2005 Honda 450x.

Comment

Spark test good on weedeater. Good enough to ignite spilled gas on workbench. Onery, cold blooded Dodge fired up, time for a new ballast resistor or hei conversion. Sometimes, only sometimes, those shiny new trucks look pretty good as do those shiny new bikes. But the current payments (like none) look pretty good on my ancient '75 Dodge W200 or 80g. The weedeater is about to have a Viking funeral.
              Actually, on your Dodge trk., the voltage regulator which is mounted on the firewall is a good placw to start. Those yr. Dodges were notorious for voltage regulator intermitant failures. I just suggest that since CDOT here having contracted with Chrysler for all there autos and trks. at that time had many a voltage regulator failure and a 'no start' scenario when the vehichles reached near the 100,000 mile mark, or adding an underhood steam cleaning. That's just 30yr. employed shop experience with CDOT speaking.
              Last edited by motoman; 04-10-2016, 03:02 PM.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                Video of the Viking Funeral Please

I was thinking the flywheel may have a sheared key also, but those diaphragms in the carbs are touchy. One little speck of dirt and they won't run.

Got a leaf blower on the blink that I completely rebuilt that I may set in the Funeral Pyre also
                Hi Webbcraft,
                I vote with Schming. VIDEO.
                get the owner to light the fire though
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Actually, on your Dodge trk., the voltage regulator which is mounted on the firewall is a good placw to start. Those yr. Dodges were notorious for voltage regulator intermitant failures. I just suggest that since CDOT here having contracted with Chrysler for all there autos and trks. at that time had many a voltage regulator failure and a 'no start' scenario when the vehichles reached near the 100,000 mile mark, or adding an underhood steam cleaning. That's just 30yr. employed shop experience with CDOT speaking.
                  It finally fired up, the truck that is. 40+ year old ingition switch has been suspect for a while. Alternator replaced with a one wire Delco years ago. It gets cranky (pun intended) when it sits for more than a week. Now that it's running, maybe I will see how good of a wheel chock the Homelite will make.

Comment

Homelite

My vote is flywheel key. But if not put a little gas in plug hole and try to see if it will try to putt?
                    79 SF

Comment

How do you lose a mancard when your wife keeps it under lock and key?
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm sorry, but

hahahahaaaa

81 SH Something Special
                        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          How do you lose a mancard when your wife keeps it under lock and key?
                          Keep it up and I will start another tire/oil thread. Just wait, I'll get the sucker running.

Comment

Just wait, I'll get the sucker running.
                            Yeah, I said that about the FJ too.
                            81 SH Something Special
                            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                            80 LG Black Magic
                            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                            For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
                              Yeah, I said that about the FJ too.
                              Check the flywheel key

Comment

Working...
                              X