saving pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saving pictures

For a while now, whenever I try to save a useful picture, which has never been a problem, I get this message:
    'The file appears to be damaged or corrupted', and it will not open.
    Why?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Hey Dean,

Can you be a little more specific in what you're doing?? You say trying to save a picture, from where?? From our site, from posts in threads, or just from a website??

A lot of websites have gone to using FLASH to display changing images, and so it's more difficult to capture a single photo this way.

What is the suffix of the "saved" photo, the common formats are JPG, JPEG, GIF, BMP.
    What program are you trying to open it with? Are you just doubleclicking on the saved file and that's when you get the error message??

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I see this once in a while when the "default program" gets reset by an add-on or an update.

One way to check is to go to Control Panel, Programs, Default Programs, then Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Scroll down to the extension your photos are in, for example, .jpg. Look to the right to see which program is associated with this extension. To change, click on the .jpg and then the "Change Program" button in the upper right of the screen. A list of programs will drop down and you can pick the one you want. The default for .jpg is Windows Photo Viewer.

This gives you one thing to check.

You can get to the same place through Internet Explorer by going to Tools, Internet Options, Programs, Set Programs, Associate a File Type...
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey Dean,

Can you be a little more specific in what you're doing??
        When I see a picture of interest that someone has posted in a thread, either here or on the ST site, I'll right click, choose 'save image as', it defaults to jpg and I hit save. Done.
        But for some time, on xs11, I get the message. 'The file appears to be damaged or corrupted'
        None of the 5 or 6 photo programs will open it.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Dean,

Jerry provided some good info regarding default program settings. But saving the file, if you have a bad/poor internet connection, it's possible that the file is getting corrupted when it's being saved. But like Jerry said, if the wrong program is trying to open a file that it's not designed to open, it will often give that standard message about the file being corrupted, or the wrong file type, when nothing is really wrong with the file, it's just that the wrong program has been set to open the file....ie. wordpad instead of paint for a *.jpg.

Hopefully, you can remember where you saved the *.jpg file, then open windows PAINT program first, and then use the OPEN function, browse to the *.jpg file,and see if it will open the file and let you see it. IF it does, then your default program for jpg's has been changed.

Instead of doing what Jerry said, you can just use File explorer, once you find the file, HOLD DOWN the shift key and then right click the file, you will then get the drop down menu , but aside from Open, you will also get OPEN WITH, and then you can select the program you want to be the default....whether you want it to be PAINT, or WIndows Picture Viewer, there will be a check box that you can check that will make the change permanent....says make the program you select the default one for that file type!

Let us know what you find! T.C.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

As I said.....None of the 5 or 6 photo programs will open a photo from XS11.com. Regardless of the way it is accessed. Never used to be a problem.

It's only happening with XS11.com
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

Hey again,

Okay, post a link to a thread where you are able to see/view photos on XS11.com that give you the error, and let me see what happens. But it sounds more like you may have some computer problems?? Wondering if you might have some virus or something that has corrupted your system?? What type of antivirus software are you running? Do you have any Spyware/Spamware type protection program also??

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hey again Dean,

Okay, I'm running Vista SP2 on my old laptop, Mozilla FireFox browser since MS didn't provide any updates for IE past ver. 8.0. I went to the new thread that Darryl/NewC4 posted about his new MNS he acquired. I rightclicked on it, selected to save image as, and it saved as a *.JPG just fine. I was able to then find it with my file explorer, right click on it, and PREVIEW it with Windows Photo Viewer just fine, properties displayed as a JPG with specs of pixel size, etc.!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

No computer problems TC. XS11 is the only place that will not properly grab a picture.
                  Vista SP2 and Firefox by the way.
                  Guess I just can't save XS maintainence or people/places picture for a while.
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

pics

That is a mystery.......for what it's worth, I am able to right click on photos in this site and save them to my desktop and then successfully open them with a few different photo programs. Sorry I don't have a solution to offer you, but It seems that there isn't a problem with the site. Good Luck,
                    Bob's Bikes:
                    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                    "
                    Project XS11"
                    "Rucksack Grunt"
                    "Small Unit Leadership"
                    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                    For Sale Here.

Comment

hey Dean....I dont think it is a site issue either...as i have never had any troubles here or elsewhere...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                        hey Dean....I dont think it is a site issue either...as i have never had any troubles here or elsewhere...
                        Yea, it doesn't sound like a site issue guys, does it. hmmmm.
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

Confusion continues..

I just now grabbed a picture of 4 southeast hooligans from JeffH's post of today.
                          Worked fine. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...756#post482756

I go back, find a picture of BA80 Greg at Muley Point, and no luck. The difference would be what??
                          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44974&page=9
                          80 SG
                          81 SH in parts
                          99 ST1100
                          91 ST1100

Comment

well thats a real headbanger Dean...I see both pics from both links fine...
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Got me!!!.
                              I right clicked and saved both, and opened both with no problem....
                              The mystery continues.
                              Bob's Bikes:
                              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                              https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                              https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                              "
                              Project XS11"
                              "Rucksack Grunt"
                              "Small Unit Leadership"
                              "Beatrice B. Goode"