California Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trbig View Post
    lol.. A couple hundred miles north and a couple of degrees difference isn't nearly far enough to make July/August riding any less awful. At least down on I10/20, you get to go 90-100mph with speed limits of 85. A lot of I-40 is 55-65mph, and I've been pulled over twice for doing 5 over. If you aren't doing 100 down on I10/20, you better be in the slow lane!
    +1......well put, BTDT on two wheels.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

One time riding out west summer, Zion , The Best way to describe it ,it was like riding in your car in summer with heat on high widows closed. No relief from relative wind.!!!Still glad I did it though.! The good old days.!
      1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
      2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Originally posted by tomcos67 View Post
        One time riding out west summer, Zion , The Best way to describe it ,it was like riding in your car in summer with heat on high widows closed. No relief from relative wind.!!!Still glad I did it though.! The good old days.!
        That part of the country is fairly cool in May. Just have to deal with some high elevation snow and the occasional spring shower.......or storm.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          That part of the country is fairly cool in May. Just have to deal with some high elevation snow and the occasional spring shower.......or storm.
          .......a memory from a couple springs back you'll likely never forget. You and the rest of the herd are welcome here again anytime though!
          Last edited by motoman; 04-06-2016, 07:28 PM.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

And we survived The Million Dollar Highway.....
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

And we survived The Million Dollar Highway.....
              After nearly freezing to death and a sketchy tow. lol.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

After reaching Ridgeway and seeing Red MountainPass 15mi. south socked in and not visible, glad I opted to just return home to G. Junction that day instead of riding with you all as far as Durango and THEN back the 240mi. north to G. Junction. The later pics Greg posted along with the itermitent phone calls from him speaking of Tod's breakdown and y'alls location convinced me my option was the better choice!
                Last edited by motoman; 04-07-2016, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Kat,
                  Ed's not riding at the moment due to bike/health issues. I've not had the time yet to help him out, but after my daughter's wedding I should have a little more spare time. I did talk with him about a week ago, so I'm not too far out with what he is up to. I know he would like to trade his hotrod '80 Special for something in the 650-750 range. He needs a lighter, smaller bike to get around on.

And guys, I've been across 10 mid June, 118F on my '79, as Kat can attest to! 1st degree burns from the wind!
                  Early August may do for a "local" Cali-ralley....
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thank you Ray. I knew he'd been having problems and he hadn't posted on FB since February. So glad to know it's nothing more serious.
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

I think someone cursed us.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Nah... Karma
                        81 SH Something Special
                        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

Yeah, Ray, we are in the last throes of trading his Special for my XJ700. It is a bit small for me, but should be great for Ed.
                          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I think someone cursed us.
                            Actually, just pre-warned you all at Ridgeway.

Comment

I'm B-a-a-a-cK!

Hi folks! Wildcat, I am flattered that you missed my face on Facebook and expressed concern for my absence. I have been reduced to riding a peddle bike. It was actually a good move: the excersize has strengthened my legs which I need to get back into the XS saddle again. Then my peddle bike got stolen right out of my garage. Guess I DO need to lock it up even at home!
                              LOHO, check yer PM's. You must not check yours very often, either. I sent you my phone number hoping you would call me and leave your number so that we can talk. I'm still very interested in swapping bikes with you.
                              I have very fond memories of the several rallies that I have attended in years past. As much as I would like to attend another, I don't know if my health would allow it. I really miss riding: it was one of the things that kept me going.
                              Ride on, my brothers and sisters!
                              Special Ed
                              Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                              I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
                                Hi folks! Wildcat, I am flattered that you missed my face on Facebook and expressed concern for my absence. I have been reduced to riding a peddle bike. It was actually a good move: the excersize has strengthened my legs which I need to get back into the XS saddle again. Then my peddle bike got stolen right out of my garage. Guess I DO need to lock it up even at home!
                                LOHO, check yer PM's. You must not check yours very often, either. I sent you my phone number hoping you would call me and leave your number so that we can talk. I'm still very interested in swapping bikes with you.
                                I have very fond memories of the several rallies that I have attended in years past. As much as I would like to attend another, I don't know if my health would allow it. I really miss riding: it was one of the things that kept me going.
                                Ride on, my brothers and sisters!
                                Special Ed
                                Nice hearing from ya' Ed! Sorry bout the pedal bike. Sounds to me like the swap for LoHo's XJ700 being lower seating for ya' would be the ticket to occasionally get you back on motorized two wheels again.
                                Last edited by motoman; 04-11-2016, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X