No announcement yet.

My first XS (Help The New Guy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, I have another F for parts, or resto... depends what you need. Parts seam to collect overtime
    Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
      yeah, I have another F for parts, or resto... depends what you need. Parts seam to collect overtime
      I'm looking for anything NON factory... Mainly things like floorboards & forward controls. Things that didn't come standard on them. (And a right side cover that doesn't cost an arm & two legs)
      >>Insert clever statement here<<

Comment

I guess I'm more into preserving it's original look and design...but to each its own....I might have a spare left side cover(these are harder to find), but if you gonna cafe that bike, you can fab up your own covers....
        Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Sorry it took so long, but here's a pic of what I'm starting with...

We're finally getting some decent weather here so I'll be starting on it this weekend.

Comment

Get to work on it!!!

Originally posted by JRealHEMC View Post
            Sorry it took so long, but here's a pic of what I'm starting with...
            JRealHEMC,
            That doesn't look too bad off. Honestly, looks better than all three of mine did when I got 'em. The exhaust looks pretty good from this photo and that's one of the hardest items to find in decent shape. It could serve you well for a while. Is the rear brake rotor missing?

To repeat an earlier statement, in my opinion, I would make it run good and drive safe and THEN start making the mods that interest you working slowly and one thing at a time. Also, don't toss in the trash or sell ANYTHING until your bike is DONE!

I know there are some who will discourage you from modifying one of these. Myself, I do remember these bikes as a teenager and prefer a "STOCK-ISH" look on MY bikes. I also understand that if younger folks and those with a different vision are not ENCOURAGED to build XS11's of THEIR liking our group and our bikes will wither away.

FYI....My son (age 20) would has absolutely ZERO interest in my predominately stock-ish bikes (Duck & Mayberry). He does however really like the slightly modified look and feel of my XS11 "Dead Duck". He'll possibly attend XSSE '16 on Dead Duck but would definitely not be attending on a stocker....

Have fun getting it to where YOU want it to be... hope I can help along the way.

Sincerely,
            KURT
            Kurt Boehringer
            Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
            1978 - SR500 - Thumper
            1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
            1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
            1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
            1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
            1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
            1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
            1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
            1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
            2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Thanks a lot kboehringer I appreciate the willingness to help... I'm starting with the carbs & exhaust leak this weekend, and eventually I'll flip it upside down to attempt the "dremmel fix" to 1st & 2nd gear. And yes, the rear rotor is missing... That's another one strapped to the seat that came along with the bike. WHY it's under a bungie cord on the seat instead of connected to the wheel... I dunno, but I'll put it where it goes & hopefully there aren't too many other issues behind that.

Comment

Read TC's Write Up - Print and have it ready!

I'll flip it upside down to attempt the "dremmel fix" to 1st & 2nd gear.
                JRealHEMC,
                I recently did a gear swap on my Mayberry XS11 which had a TRASHED 2nd gear. I STRONGLY suggest you read TC's (TopCatGR58) big write up on the procedure.

I had purchased a spare motor (basically a whole XS11) and pulled the gears out of that motor. Fortunately, they were like-new and completely undamaged. Unfortunately, I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get them out and pulled out all kinds of stuff that I didn't need to pull out. Or, pulled out incorrectly. Since this was basically a parts spare motor it really didn't matter.......

When I made the swap of gears in my "Good Bike's Motor". I printed TC's instructions and followed them for removal and install very precisely highlighting what I had done all along the way. The removal and install went smooth as silk and the bike shifts perfectly.

It was much easier to follow the trail that TC had blazed than it was to experiment on my own.

Respectfully,
                KURT
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Way ahead of you...

T.C. did have what looked like a really good write up, which was actually the reason I decided to go ahead & try it... so I printed it out & stapled it together like a manual lol (which I'm using it as).

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on the build.

FYI: you gotta have thick skin here if you are modding these bikes. Nobody here wants to see them end up as an abandoned project.
                    78 E

Comment

Here goes nothing...

Started tearing down my XS yesterday... I removed the carbs so I can give them a good cleaning, and I'm getting everything ready to flip it over to open up that trans. I know we discussed mechanics before cosmetics, but I couldn't resist tampering with my rear fender... It was something I'm definitely doing anyway, and I felt like cutting some stuff... *shrugs*

Comment

Lighting issue...

I removed the fairing from the front, and disconnected the wire harness that powers the headlight & turn signals... I'm now replacing the headlight with a 7" headlight with integrated turn signals & fork bracket for mounting, and I need to know which connections to use in this medley of wires. I'm sure I can figure it out because I'm pretty good with wiring, just figured I'd ask you experts first & save myself a little trial & error.

Comment

Hi JReal,
                          there's a wiring quirk on the XS11SG, there's a red and a blue wire in the headlamp shell that are for some kinda optional accessory and so don't usually plug into anything.
                          I found out the hard way on mine because the red wire's end terminal was missing when I got the bike and every now and then the wire's bare end would ground itself and blow a fuse. An extreme WTF? moment.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                            Hi JReal,
                            there's a wiring quirk on the XS11SG, there's a red and a blue wire in the headlamp shell that are for some kinda optional accessory and so don't usually plug into anything.
                            I found out the hard way on mine because the red wire's end terminal was missing when I got the bike and every now and then the wire's bare end would ground itself and blow a fuse. An extreme WTF? moment.
                            Thanx, but do you know which wires hook up to the headlight & turn signals?

Comment

Thanx, but do you know which wires hook up to the headlight & turn signals?
                              Hi JReal,
                              yellow, green & black to the headlight via the bayonet connector that fits on the headlight bulb.
                              Left signals, two dark green wires that plug into a two at one end and two at the other connector that has the third dark green wire from the signal loom plugged into it.
                              Right signals, ditto with brown wires.
                              Dunno about the 9 pin connector in your photo, something to do with the fairing?
                              Note that all black wires are grounds and the front signals need to be grounded via their mounting stalks, just like the back signals.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ok, thanx fredintoon, I'll be trying that out this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X