My first XS (Help The New Guy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first XS (Help The New Guy)

Hey everybody, I recently decided to take a break from crotch rockets & buy my first cruiser... Now, I really like the bobber look of the 80's Jap cruisers, so I just recently bought a 1980 XS Eleven Special. Now it doesn't HAVE to be an actual "bobber" with the hardtail & what not (I want to keep my shocks), but I DO want to shorten/closen the rear fender (NOT take it completely off). I guess what I'm really looking for is just a custom XS. Is there a way to do this without using a totally different fender? I pretty much have everything else planned that I want to do with this bike like bars, paint, seat, etc. I just have no idea where to start with this rear fender... Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    >>Insert clever statement here<<

Do you mind posting pics of the bike so we can see the condition prior to it's modifications? A little tip for you: if the bike rides how it is, leave it alone. Far too many on here attempt to modify exactly as you, get the bike broke down, and it ends-up on CL as a parts bike, with the same price as a running bike. Enjoy the bike for what it is. Easy maintenance, plenty of power, etc. Don't believe me? Enjoy searching the threads. Any bike you see modified that still runs, the owner did not need our advice, as he was capable enough to perform the mods himself. Good luck.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

You can do a few things that will completely change the look of your machine without cutting it up. For instance, take the buckhorn bars off and replace with something lower and more ride able. Change out the handlebar controls for some chrome ones from Mikes XS and put on some billet grips. Add a small shield, etch and paint the chrome fenders to match your tank and side plates. These are a few of the cosmetic things I did to mine and you can see it looks like it is doing 100 just sitting in front of my house. There are a lot of things you can do to change the look and most are fairly inexpensive....besides, these bikes are already fairly short in length.

Best of luck to you.

Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        Do you mind posting pics of the bike so we can see the condition prior to it's modifications? A little tip for you: if the bike rides how it is, leave it alone. Far too many on here attempt to modify exactly as you, get the bike broke down, and it ends-up on CL as a parts bike, with the same price as a running bike. Enjoy the bike for what it is. Easy maintenance, plenty of power, etc. Don't believe me? Enjoy searching the threads. Any bike you see modified that still runs, the owner did not need our advice, as he was capable enough to perform the mods himself. Good luck.
        I'll take some pix and post them later. As far as the mods, yes they are decent looking bikes as is, BUT I bought this bike for the specific purpose in customizing it myself to something I can take credit for doing & looking awesome. So leaving it stock isn't an option. (Especially since it has this big ugly Purple Rain fairing on the front) Not knocking anyone who likes it that way, just not MY thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
          You can do a few things that will completely change the look of your machine without cutting it up. For instance, take the buckhorn bars off and replace with something lower and more ride able. Change out the handlebar controls for some chrome ones from Mikes XS and put on some billet grips. Add a small shield, etch and paint the chrome fenders to match your tank and side plates. These are a few of the cosmetic things I did to mine and you can see it looks like it is doing 100 just sitting in front of my house. There are a lot of things you can do to change the look and most are fairly inexpensive....besides, these bikes are already fairly short in length.

Best of luck to you.

I like how you put the new gold Yamaha symbols on the tank, I thought about doing the same thing after I paint, and I was also painting the fenders to match like you did. It also looks like those controls look pretty dope on there, I'ma have to check out Mikes, I've done a little scrolling already. I'm probably going with a set of drag bars with a slight pull back tho (maybe).

Comment

You can do plenty to the bike to make it fun and unique without chopping it up . . .

However, drag bars will not be fun on this bike. The ergonomics are wrong, unless you plan-on customizing the pegs. A more ergonomic setup is the Euro 2H9 setup.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

You can do plenty to the bike to make it fun and unique without chopping it up . . .

However, drag bars will not be fun on this bike. The ergonomics are wrong, unless you plan-on customizing the pegs. A more ergonomic setup is the Euro 2H9 setup.
              How did you get the rear fender so low & close? From what I see, they're usually up high & far back... (The reason I wanna chop it up)

Comment

My bike is a "standard", and I believe the fenders are designed lower. However, the aftermarket shocks are an inch shorter in height.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

GO SLOW... Small Steps

Far too many on here attempt to modify exactly as you, get the bike broke down, and it ends-up on CL as a parts bike....SNIP
                  JRealHEMC,
                  WELCOME! I hope you are able to create the bike your are looking to own and enjoy the bike once it is done. However, I have also seen too many of these bikes destroyed by an over zealous guy without any sort of a game plan.

I would like to suggest the following:
                  • MAKE A PLAN for all the key features YOU want YOUR bike to have. Sketch it out!, check parts prices!, and LEARN about the bike you have.
                  • You'll be building from a very strong power plant that probably needs attention NOW. Many of these bikes have not had a proper valve adjustment in years and the cables are junk the brakes are shot, etc. Get those things right first. You can be driving it while you modifying it here & there!!
                  • Perform your mods in smaller steps. The bikes I have seen turned to junk, and I think that IAN is referring to the guys started rippin', tearin' , and cuttin' and ended up with a total pile of crap. They cut the frame too far, tossed parts they still needed, or couldn't afford to replace, etc.
                  • Work TOWARD your dream bike... SLOWLY and METHODICALLY.

This is my custom "DEAD DUCK". It's not really too far from stock but it has an entirely different feel and look. In my case the bike WAS one of those "Café Gone Wrong" attempts. I've replaced a bunch of OEM parts back onto the bike and modified the seat, rear fender, etc. as many of these parts were missing anyway. It's not quite finished but it should be up & running in a couple weeks.... I have a couple more items I would like to do including: HD Mufflers, move the pegs rearward, and maybe add some LED "bling".

Hope that helps.... Again, WELCOME! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Kurt
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                  1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                  1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                  1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                  1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                  1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                  1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                  1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                  2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                    JRealHEMC,
                    WELCOME! I hope you are able to create the bike your are looking to own and enjoy the bike once it is done. However, I have also seen too many of these bikes destroyed by an over zealous guy without any sort of a game plan.

I would like to suggest the following:
                    • MAKE A PLAN for all the key features YOU want YOUR bike to have. Sketch it out!, check parts prices!, and LEARN about the bike you have.
                    • You'll be building from a very strong power plant that probably needs attention NOW. Many of these bikes have not had a proper valve adjustment in years and the cables are junk the brakes are shot, etc. Get those things right first. You can be driving it while you modifying it here & there!!
                    • Perform your mods in smaller steps. The bikes I have seen turned to junk, and I think that IAN is referring to the guys started rippin', tearin' , and cuttin' and ended up with a total pile of crap. They cut the frame too far, tossed parts they still needed, or couldn't afford to replace, etc.
                    • Work TOWARD your dream bike... SLOWLY and METHODICALLY.

This is my custom "DEAD DUCK". It's not really too far from stock but it has an entirely different feel and look. In my case the bike WAS one of those "Café Gone Wrong" attempts. I've replaced a bunch of OEM parts back onto the bike and modified the seat, rear fender, etc. as many of these parts were missing anyway. It's not quite finished but it should be up & running in a couple weeks.... I have a couple more items I would like to do including: HD Mufflers, move the pegs rearward, and maybe add some LED "bling".

Hope that helps.... Again, WELCOME! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Kurt
                    Thanx for the advise. I just asked you a question on your thread about your rear fender...

Comment

Hi JR and welcome to XS11's world,
                      OK you've dumped the rototillers and the purple sail already.
                      So far, so good.
                      What you can do is swap in the larger tank from a Standard so you can look for something other than the next gas station when you are out for a ride.
                      It won't change the bike's look at all but you can deep six the octopus valve.
                      There's those that swear by them but what I reckon is that if it takes 9 hoses and taps with dual outlets to work right it's a problem just waiting to occur.
                      Me, I'd leave the fenders alone. They are short enough as it is and the front one also acts as a fork brace.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

fender, fork brace?

well, about that..

yes it was built that way.. but Tkat's fork brace is WAY Better.
                        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118

just my 2 cents worth..
                        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Originally posted by MindWebs View Post
                          fender, fork brace?

well, about that..

yes it was built that way.. but Tkat's fork brace is WAY Better.
                          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118

just my 2 cents worth..
                          Hi MindWebs,
                          Oh yes, Tkat's fork brace adds rigidity to the XS11's (compared to the bike's weight) scrawny front forks.
                          I have a Tkat and the stock fender on mine
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Welcome to the madness...

As you can see in my sig, I'm in Westland, too...

Not much time to work on these, but I can always throw my 2 cents in
                            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
                              Welcome to the madness...

As you can see in my sig, I'm in Westland, too...

Not much time to work on these, but I can always throw my 2 cents in
                              Thanx mikubuilder... Any spare parts? Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X