40 years of riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    1976 marked the first time i rode street bikes legally...started on a XS650 "Heritage" turned into a chopper with a trigger clutch(no friction point) learned to ride that on the grounds of the Univ.of Ariz in parking lots...taking it year by year now...thinking I may just hang it up after this year...go out on top so to say...no major accidents or getoffs in all these years..came close a few times though...Y'all ride safe out there...
    Never hang it up, life is to short .,and this is what you love.! Unless physically unable.
    Peace.It's always nice to have a motorcycle in the garage when you get that feeling.Have a nice day.!!!
    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

1976 marked the first time i rode street bikes legally...started on a XS650 "Heritage" turned into a chopper with a trigger clutch(no friction point) learned to ride that on the grounds of the Univ.of Ariz in parking lots...taking it year by year now...thinking I may just hang it up after this year...go out on top so to say...no major accidents or getoffs in all these years..came close a few times though...Y'all ride safe out there...
      I will be 58 in May of this year. My goal is to spend some quality time riding when I retire and to ride as much as I can until then. I can't think that I could retire much before age 67, so I hope to be riding into my 70s. It is all just speculation now for me.

If I thought that I could not handle a particular bike, I would not ride it. Losing some coordination with age is to be expected. What you gain in its place is wisdom. I believe that I am a much more well rounded driver than when I was younger and also compared to much younger drivers in today's world.

This is a great topic! It definitely makes you take stock of yourself.

As a recommendation, the Honda Magna 750 is quite a nimble bike. I bought it for my 5'2" girlfriend. I ride it enough to keep the carbs in good condition. I like my XJ1100 much more but if I could only ride the Magna, it would be a good ride.
      82 XJ1100 - sold
      96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
      2000 ZRX1100 - sold
      2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Hey HalfCentury,

I'm just a few months ahead of you turning 58 on Tuesday. I've been riding since I was 17 so some 40 years so far. I'm lucky to still be in decent physical shape...no serious major health conditions ie. blood pressure, diabetes, or arthritis. I recently confirmed a Low T condition that has been noted for my last 2 physicals...and so am looking at getting into replacement therapy. Mostly because it's been shown that Low T for men causes things like slower brain function/memory, as well as reduced muscle mass and inability to increase it with exercise due to the reduced growth hormone that is linked with "T". The lower growth hormones also can cause slower healing from injuries as well...ie. muscle strains and such.

SO...I hope to get my hormones back to younger normal levels so that I can then get better responses to exercising to help maintain and even increase my muscle mass a bit as well as get back into better tone/condition and strength....which is what I hope/expect will allow me to continue and enjoy my leisure activities to the utmost.

Along these lines...when I first started riding...I got a street bike because that was the most important activity for me at the time, riding to work and such. BUT my best friend had a Honda Enduro type bike, and I always wanted to ride/play in the dirt. So now some 40 years later, where I can now have some spare $$ to acquire a dirt bike, I am also a little hesitant to do so...because I know that I "will" fall down while learning/playing on it, and knowing that I don't bounce like I used to! I know that they have all sorts of riding armor and such, and I wouldn't necessarily be doing really crazy maneuvers, but would like to learn more about doing power slides/turns as well as some little jumps, and of course WHEELIES! Will also have to wait a few more months for the weather to warm up a bit more as well.

So...BNE, do what feels right for you.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC...appreciate your point of view...there are lots of dirt roads to ride without the need to truly go "enduro"...an adventure type bike that can be ridden on or off the paved roads and on dirt but not necessarily true off road...like you are saying you'd like to do...I would be careful for sure on that regard...
          I think having another bike with a different mission might just be what i need...since owning ST1100s..I have used them as my long tour bikes and the Maxim was relegated to XS rallies and rides and Sundays going up the Delaware R. Right now with just one bike i dont feel that i want to be riding it as my only ride...so something a bit lighter for around local areas...something like a Suzuki Weestrom 650... a great on and off road bike...off road being packed dirt...gravel...or rocks and some sand too...not true gnarly stuff as that will hurt...but theres plenty of dirt roads in these parts...love to explore them
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

My first bike was a 305 honda dream at age 17. I didn't have it very long before I went into the Army. After the service I bought a honda 750.
            What a great bike that was...really fast in it's day! I was now 20 years old and wild and crazy and DUMB! After several traffic citations for speeding and wreckless driving and after dropping the bike a couple of times I thought to myself "you survived the jungles of vietnam and you're gonna die on the streets of home!" I sold it and got married and had kids...

fast forward to age 58...The kids are grown and married and I decided to get back into it! After several bikes and 6 years later at the age of 64, I have now settled on the great XS1100.

I'm not as strong and not as agile now and find myself riding my custom LG a lot more often than the stock LG because the solo seat sits lower and it's easier for me to handle. The older I get the shorter the rides and they are quite a bit slower too! But if I didn't have a bike in the garage to hop on when I get that addictive urge to ride, I would feel like a part of me was missing. And yes I'll admit to giving in to the WOT urge on a straight stretch when the traffic is light. It brings the 20 year old back in me!!!

Be safe out there!
            Bob
            Bob's Bikes:
            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
            https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
            https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
            "
            Project XS11"
            "Rucksack Grunt"
            "Small Unit Leadership"
            "Jean's Heroic Journey"

Bob's Parts:
            For Sale Here.

Comment

I'm only 2 years behind you at 38. Started riding dirt bikes at 10, and put my first street bike on the road in 78. A brand new 78 KZ650 SR. I just turned 56 and I enjoy it as much now, as I did then. I will be the first to admit I'm not as confident as I was then, but I am a lot more alert now and don't ride with the speed and bravado I did then. My bikes are a rather eclectic collection of ponies, but as all of you know, their personalities and behaviors are all unique. I have reserved myself for one day having to give up 2 wheels for 3, but if that's my only choice, so be it. I spend most of my evenings in my shop with whatever I happen to be working on up on the rack, and listening to tunes. I haven't given up on loud music though. Just ask my better half!

Comment

....so something a bit lighter for around local areas...something like a Suzuki Weestrom 650... a great on and off road bike...off road being packed dirt...gravel...or rocks and some sand too...not true gnarly stuff as that will hurt...but theres plenty of dirt roads in these parts...love to explore them
                While I don't mind taking my XJ on packed dirt and light offroad stuff, many times, cruising around the country, I'll see some dirt road going off into the hills and be curious about where it goes. Especially in Colorado. There are other dual sports to consider, but my DR650 is a fun little bike. If I had it to do over again, and after riding with others, I think the air cooled Honda XR650's are a better bike, but they cost on avg about a thousand bucks more comparing same year to year. My DR is made more for offroad than on, but it is street legal, light and fun to zip around town.. maybe cutting across that open lot, parking curb, ditch, etc... and Dunlop makes a D606 rear tire that is full offroad knobbies, but lasts over 5k miles on the street. Plus, riding around in the dirt is great exercise that is actually FUN! lol.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod...yeah and no stupid cagers to turn left in front of you... DR 650 is more off road oriented than the DL650 Veestrom which offers a good balance of on road and off road ride ability...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I too started riding full-time in late 70's, 1977.
                    Started with Honda CL175 then CB200, CB400 (1979 now) and started road racing. Next was a highly modified Suzuki TS185.
                    Took a hiatus from motorcycles for a good part of the 1990's, road raced bicycles at that time.
                    Around 2000 decided to get another bike. Too old and married to start racing again, looked at dual sports. Then someone at work told me they had a motorcycle for sale, cheap. The $60 Gem came home. A couple years later the Midnight Special moved in.
                    A lot of miles over the years. no major accidents, just a few "bumps in the road".
                    I feel the odds are stacking up against me. The old saying "those that have or those going to" might be feeling neglected by me.
                    I still find joy in riding and don't plan on giving it up just yet but the seed of inevetablity had planted itself.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

It's good to find I'm not the only ancient derelict still riding.
                      I'm among the front runners, age 78, first ride in 1954 on a 32cc cyclemaster powered rear wheel in a Hercules bicycle.
                      Major regret; passing up buying a Series C Vincent Black Shadow back in 1957 because 80 pounds was too much to pay.
                      Although would I have had the good sense to crate & store it until it's price escalated into a young fortune?
                      Seeing as how I discarded my KSS Velocette for a Plunger frame James 197, probably not.
                      These days I ride sidecar, both because I'm too chicken to ride an XS11 solo and my wife don't like riding pillion.
                      And only in daylight, my night vision mostly isn't.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

ride when you can

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        It's good to find I'm not the only ancient derelict still riding.
                        I'm among the front runners, age 78, first ride in 1954 on a 32cc cyclemaster powered rear wheel in a Hercules bicycle.
                        Major regret; passing up buying a Series C Vincent Black Shadow back in 1957 because 80 pounds was too much to pay.
                        Although would I have had the good sense to crate & store it until it's price escalated into a young fortune?
                        Seeing as how I discarded my KSS Velocette for a Plunger frame James 197, probably not.
                        These days I ride sidecar, both because I'm too chicken to ride an XS11 solo and my wife don't like riding pillion.
                        And only in daylight, my night vision mostly isn't.

Riding can help to keep you young. See Motorcycle consumer news medical mortorcycling. There are exercises games etc which may bring some of the same benefits, but I do not know or practice them much. Standing on one foot will improve balance. As capability, reactions etc. decrease slightly, Sharpen skills. Practice, Ride more, year round if possible. A sidecar is more work, and tougher to drive and handle than a two wheeler, requiring more strength & skill (except for staying up while stopped or very slow).

To improve night vision, take bilberry. It is a european blueberry, available as extract in capsule form. It increases perpherial circulation. I took it for almost a month without noting improvement. Then one night Wow! I could see far beyond the reach of my headlights. Significant improvement in night vision. But cigar smoking decreased my night vision some, so I put really good headlights and or Aux lights on all my bikes. I do get a kick out of hearing about and seeing riders of advanced age, still having fun,,
                        Happy Motoring,
                        It is a great big beautiful world out there
                        Brent in GA
                        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                        X