40 years of riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 years of riding

1976 marked the first time i rode street bikes legally...started on a XS650 "Heritage" turned into a chopper with a trigger clutch(no friction point) learned to ride that on the grounds of the Univ.of Ariz in parking lots...taking it year by year now...thinking I may just hang it up after this year...go out on top so to say...no major accidents or getoffs in all these years..came close a few times though...Y'all ride safe out there...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

First "legal" bike for me was back in '74. Honda Trail 90, remember those? It was a great bike for knocking around backwoods lots where I was cutting trees for paper mills in Wisconsin to earn money for college. The next year I graduated up to a Honda CB450.

One accident in the ensuing stretch but not major as I had no broken bones or required any stitches. Ruined the helmet, though. Since then it has been ATGATT for me.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        .taking it year by year now...thinking I may just hang it up after this year...go out on top so to say...no major accidents or getoffs in all these years..came close a few times though...Y'all ride safe out there...
        Yup, that's the million $$$ question. When to Stop.
        Something to contemplate. Something riders must face.
        Then something to ultimately Act On before a problem arises.

Since we Ride we know the Risks. We also see how the highways have become more dangerous with distracted driving and people that just don't care.
        Like Brent says, like a lot of opera singers warming up "me me me me" makes driving more dangerous; texting, phones, booze, drugs, carelessness, reading books, etc.
        Its getting worse.

Aging brain (balance, judgement, cpu speed) not our friend. Plus after about 50, recognizing we are really not as sharp & quick as we once were.
        Maybe going off that cliff WOT sounds like an exciting way to go out, but in the last 20 seconds maybe that's not the best.

Though a lot depends on where & when we ride. For sure Speed Kills, but there are so many other factors to consider.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

40 years of riding more like 64

Year:1954 Bike: 46 Cushman scooter 4 HP 2 speed trans.
          After a month or so, drove a friend's Indian Scout. That ended the relationship with the Cushman. Bought a 38 Harley. Next year got a 38 Indian 4 cyl. 2 years with that. Enlisted in the Army. After 10 months was sent to France. Bought a French made Terrot 500 cc. Rode that around Europe. Left it there when I came home in 1960. Bought a 46 Harley 80 ci. Been riding ever since on various bikes. Didn't have any bike in 1976. In 77, bought a 350 Honda, first foreign bike. Bought a 72 Kaw 750 3 cyl 2 stroke. 3 years on that. Bought a 79 Yam XS11 SF in 1980. Still have it. In 02, bought a 79 F, still riding that. My son is 10 now, he rode with me since he was 8. I have no intention of stopping, as I am healthy, strong and alert. One accident when I was 22, broke a collar bone. I will be 78 this year, and hope to ride a few more years.
          put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
          rover has spoken

Comment

50 years so far....

As soon as I turned sixteen, I borrowed my sisters 70cc Italian scooter and passed my test and that covered me to ride any size motorcycle. It was an awful thing to ride with it's dragging clutch and three gears. The only saving grace was neutral involved twisting the left grip all the way up and was foolproof. Next came an Ariel 350. I soon traded for a 600VB Ariel, because of the bigger engine. Apart from that the bikes were similar. I still have that bike. Next came a variety of bikes including a Manx Norton, an AJS 650 twin, a Bonneville and a BSA A65. I wish I'd kept those. My first new bike was an XS2 650 Yahama. I had that a year and bought another new one and put 50,000 miles on it before trading for a new XS1100 in 1978. I kept it and it's done to date 300,000 miles, and 200,000 of those miles is with a 3 seater sidecar, and no second gear problems ever! ( There's a knack to looking after your 2nd gear, just ask). I bought another new XS1100 Martini and did 300,000 miles on that too. Other XS1100's came along and I kept them as well, so now I have 4. All in standard trim, but all have their personalities....My latest bike is, sorry about this, a Goldwing 1500 with a sidecar. I found it through a friend and it had 3,400 miles on the clock and looked and drove like brand new. The wife loves the back seat and the sidecar with it's air suspension and creature comforts.....So far I've been riding nearly 50 years. I've fallen off and been knocked off a few times but I'm still riding and don't see any reason to stop. We have a guy in our club who's 93 and loves riding to rallys. I hope I last as long...
            Keep your knees in the breeze, Martini Man.

Comment

Meh.. Just get a trike of some sort and keep harassing society, Ben. Maybe rig up a foot gas pedal so you just have to sit down and hold on! lol.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

You do in life what feels right to you and thank god you can choose. There can come a point in life or a bad decision and you loose the right to choose its just over and that is it. I have high regard for a man who loves motorcycles and yet makes a decision rather than have loved ones feel a loss. I started on a little 125 back in 1974 quickly replaced by a R5B 350 that I spent a god awful amount of money making near illegal with modifications to be like what Kenny Roberts raced. Every 2 weeks I'd be in the Agriculture shop welding a new bead on the foot pegs. I do not bend as I did when I was young so I have tempered my driving way back. And once you come to the realization that rather than sliding along to stop you more resemble a wet dish rag tumbling across the floor its easy to back off.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends
                Rear trunk add-on
                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys...64 yrs...That is awesome Rover...and Martini Man with 50+...it is a blessing that we can do what we have been doing and continue to do...I do find inspiration in those experiences so we're gonna rethink this a bit...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    Meh.. Just get a trike of some sort and keep harassing society, Ben. Maybe rig up a foot gas pedal so you just have to sit down and hold on! lol.
                    ha ha ha...i'm not a 3 wheeler type...perhaps another bike...much lighter day tripping but not LD riding might just do the trick...lord knows i have wanted something else in the stable for a while now...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

40 years of riding more like 64

OOOOOPPS-more like 62 years, sorry.
                      put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                      79 F (Blueballs)
                      79 SF (Redbutt)
                      81 LH (organ donor)
                      79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                      76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                      rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
                        OOOOOPPS-more like 62 years, sorry.
                        Still impressive and inspiring...Thanks for sharing...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Jeff...all good points you have made too...reminds me of my Grandpa...back in the 1960s in Huntington LI NY times were alot simpler and there was less people and traffic on the roads...and ofc distracted me me me's were few and far between...My Grandpa would pull out of his parallel parking spot on the street and never...ever look to see what might be coming...before pulling out back then you could get away with it...and he did...never got burned for that...Try that today? I dont think so... So the risks are that much greater today than when we began this endeavor....Though I have stated a thought about giving it up...reality is i'm not quite there yet...however the seed has been planted...so to say...I mean at our age it wouldn't be prudent not to ask these questions...
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Here's another question to ask yourself Ben. Can you think of anything else you enjoy as much as getting your knees in the breeze in some great country and sweet roads with good friends?

Yeah, me either. If you can't handle that big bad XS, get yourself another wussy, electronic, automated, rocking chair bike. LOL
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah... I already got one of both Greg...ha ha...
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X