X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random responses to post:

JeffH-

"Seems all the other stuff is now under control? Hope so. "
    Thank you for asking. I have pretty much given up on the "other stuff" and have reconciled myself to living the rest of my life with a "poop bag" and a "piss bag" hanging off of my abdomen. A "colon bypass reversal" operation would entail being "put under," (risky in its own right at 70,) and may result in unforeseen complications: better to dance with the Devil you know than the Devil you don't know.
    I appreciate your concern and input!
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Yes, the XS11 is a bit of a beast to push around and keep upright, but there are options. For a bit of inspiration, here's a shot of TKat at our meet in Bozeman in 2004:

He had been severely banged-up earlier that year and was still wearing a cast! He won the "Harley" award that year for trailering the longest distance to the rally, but he was there. His squeeze, Myra if I remember correctly, rode along in the sidecar with her oxygen bottle in the trunk. SWMBO and I were riding behind him on our respective rides during one of our day rides, and had a heck of a time keeping up.

Where there's a will, there's a way...
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Hi Ed...from what i have read here...it seems to me you might be ready to go to a lighter machine but you are far from hanging it up...so by all means find a way to stay"vertically challenged"...its not the years in the life...its the life in the years...I hope to continue riding myself for as long as is possible...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Think about it real hard before turning in your helmet. I was somewhat forced to dump all my dirt bikes after I had a hip replaced. The thought of dislocating it 20 miles from anywhere was the primary motivation. Was suppose to get rid of ALL the motorcycles. Didn't happen. The trusty XS is still in the garage. IF you hafta go smaller, the smaller XJ's would be a really good choice ( and there Yamahas) . I was pleasantly surprised that how quick my recent find of a XJ550 Maxium was. Seems to hold 70-80mph with not much problem. Just hafta be choosier about passing distances. Low seat height, much lighter than the 11. I can only imagine what the 650 and 750's would do.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            It ain't over till it's over................
            +1.........even after my herendous t-bone and two months in hospital. With the ST gone now, the Venturer is looking more enticing every day.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I am gonna suggest the Can-Am Spyder, never worry about balancing it and they are a hoot to ride. Spent some time on them years ago and that Rotax 1000 cc V-Twin gives good performance, they geared it short to offset the weight. Just like the XS1100... Weight doesn't matter either because they stand on their own. There are used early examples showing up now days if that is of interest.

If you really want two wheels and to keep the 80's UJM look, go with a KZ/XJ/CB (Nighthawk)/GS in the 550-650cc range.

I had a Nighthawk 550 for a year and it is a seriously quick bike with a wet weight around 440 lbs. 6 speed tranny (1-5 regularly spaced, 6th overdrive), shaft drive and hydraulic valve adjusters. It's large for a 550 in terms of displacement (572cc) but a ton of fun and handles so easily. Smooth engine as well, very much like the XS.

http://paulsnighthawkpages.blogspot.com/p/nh-550.html
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

? or WHAT!!

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                Yes, the XS11 is a bit of a beast to push around and keep upright, but there are options. For a bit of inspiration, here's a shot of TKat at our meet in Bozeman in 2004:

He had been severely banged-up earlier that year and was still wearing a cast! He won the "Harley" award that year for trailering the longest distance to the rally, but he was there. His squeeze, Myra if I remember correctly, rode along in the sidecar with her oxygen bottle in the trunk. SWMBO and I were riding behind him on our respective rides during one of our day rides, and had a heck of a time keeping up.

Where there's a will, there's a way...
                Hi Special Ed,

It is not what you own/ride, it is IF you ride. XS11 alternatives I have used:

An XS400 (borrowed from a friend while out of town) - Yes it is slower & less powerful than an 11, but I ENJOYED riding it.

A gold wing with california friendship sidecar. After surgery when I could just crawl up onto a steady bike. Steering, (driving) takes more arm strength.

Honda CM450 - While on light duty, Doctor cleared for office work, no heavy lifting...I rode a light bike.

XS11 with california friendship side car. Talk about asphault dancing - That thing can waltz. Pirouet or bootleg turnaround? Not the fastest rig, but PLENTY of excitement

HD road king - The heavy cruiser with a low center of gravity and low seat height handles well at slow speeds, easy to flat foot at stops and the large engine protector (crash bar) allows for rolling the bike 1/2 way up if lifting up after tip over.

Ideas i have seen Or heard about:
                lightweight sport or naked bikes. Burgman scooter with lightweight side car. (I knew a man who drove one of these until after about 100 years of riding).hhh
                Trikes. Training wheels that automatically fold up into saddlebags and come down when speed slows. Polaris slingshot. Sports cars, Hot rods.
                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                Brent in GA
                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Jack fell off the back of his pick-up truck while loading up his motorcycle for the rally. He didn't come out of it completely unscathed as he's no spring chicken as motorcyclists go. The Miata served him well.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Eds B-Day!

Happy Birthday Ed! Keep riding.!!!
                    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
                    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Happy birthday ed

hope you are having a wonderful day. I know the past year has been tough on you...but you made it. Keep riding what ever works for you.
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

[QUOTE=Special Ed;477207]Hi gang!
                        I haven't been on here in a while, due largely to medical and computer problems.
                        I've always said that if I got too old to hold the bike up that I would go sidecar, but they aren't cheap, even used.

Another option is to sell the old girl or trade for a smaller bike: there are plenty of 250 to 650c.c. bikes that I could see myself riding. - - -

I have recently become intrigued by real MOTOR cycles; i.e. electric bicycles! They are a very efficient and thrifty way to get around town!

I hate to admit that I have devolved into a frail "little old man," but at 5'4" inches and 115 lbs.and 2 weeks away from 70, I guess I am.
                        If I wanted your 2 cents I would ask for it! And I am!
                        Special Ed

Hi Ed,
                        sorry to hear of your health problems and that you got busted up on top of that.
                        Being an older fart than you, I can only say that I ain't quit yet.
                        Although when I got an XS11 I was too scared of it to ever run it solo.
                        You can see my sidecar conversion in this list if you look for " why I ride a sidecar outfit"
                        My cost to get the 3rd wheel ~ $2,000.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

[QUOTE=fredintoon;477769]
                          Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
                          Hi gang!
                          I haven't been on here in a while, due largely to medical and computer problems.
                          I've always said that if I got too old to hold the bike up that I would go sidecar, but they aren't cheap, even used.

Another option is to sell the old girl or trade for a smaller bike: there are plenty of 250 to 650c.c. bikes that I could see myself riding. - - -

I have recently become intrigued by real MOTOR cycles; i.e. electric bicycles! They are a very efficient and thrifty way to get around town!

I hate to admit that I have devolved into a frail "little old man," but at 5'4" inches and 115 lbs.and 2 weeks away from 70, I guess I am.
                          If I wanted your 2 cents I would ask for it! And I am!
                          Special Ed

Hi Ed,
                          sorry to hear of your health problems and that you got busted up on top of that.
                          Being an older fart than you, I can only say that I ain't quit yet.
                          Although when I got an XS11 I was too scared of it to ever run it solo.
                          You can see my sidecar conversion in this list if you look for " why I ride a sidecar outfit"
                          My cost to get the 3rd wheel ~ $2,000.
                          You still have the Orange sidecar Pumkin don't you Fred?
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

[QUOTE=motoman;477774]
                            Originally posted by fredintoon View Post

You still have the Orange sidecar Pumkin don't you Fred?
                            Hi Moto,
                            yes, the Flying Pumpkin is still in the garage but it was sidelined this year because it's sidecar brake is locked on and it's leftside front disk is soaked if oil from the leaking fork seal.
                            My alter ego Mr Beau Nidle got as far as purchasing new fork seals and brake pads but that's as far as it's gotten.
                            I've been riding my XS650/Velorex562 rig the Silver Bullet instead.
                            This winter I must extract my digit so the Pumpkin can fly again.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

[QUOTE=fredintoon;477776]
                              Originally posted by motoman View Post

Hi Moto,
                              yes, the Flying Pumpkin is still in the garage but it was sidelined this year because it's sidecar brake is locked on and it's leftside front disk is soaked if oil from the leaking fork seal.
                              My alter ego Mr Beau Nidle got as far as purchasing new fork seals and brake pads but that's as far as it's gotten.
                              I've been riding my XS650/Velorex562 rig the Silver Bullet instead.
                              This winter I must extract my digit so the Pumpkin can fly again.
                              Even MYSELF is looking forward hearing bout you throwin' a leg over the Pumpkin and actually riding it again!

Comment

Working...
                              X