Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I hang it up or what?

Hi gang!
    I haven't been on here in a while, due largely to medical and computer problems. Someone turned me on to a laptop with Windows 10 loaded onto it
    ; it is practically like learning computer all over again.
    A larger issue, however is my health, which has been going down hill just this past year. I had just about recovered enough from a colon operation and a 10 day stay at Stanford hospital to get on my scoot when I fell and fractured my left wrist and dislocated my left shoulder it will be quite some time before I will be able to ride again, and I have decided that the old xs11 is just to big for me; so what do you think?

I've always said that if I got too old to hold the bike up that I would go sidecar, but they aren't cheap, even used.

Another option is to sell the old girl or trade for a smaller bike: there are plenty of 250 to 650c.c. bikes that I could see myself riding.

I have recently become intrigued by real MOTOR cycles; i.e. electric bicycles! They are a very efficient and thrifty way to get around town!

I hate to admit that I have devolved into a frail "little old man," but at 5'4" inches and 115 lbs.and 2 weeks away from 70, I guess I am.
    If I wanted your 2 cents I would ask for it! And I am!
    Special Ed

h

h
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

It ain't over till it's over................
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Find the movie "The Fastest Indian" and watch it Ed.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'd seriously consider going to a Wing three wheeler before I 'hung up the spurs'.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ed,

You're the only one who can answer the question. Speaking for most of us, we don't want to see you give up because we all know our day is coming, sooner than we want it to. We also enjoy your input on this board.

I have seen some guys older than you riding this or similar.

This 500 cc Ascot was lowered 1.5" front and rear. It still has plenty of clearance for canyon carving. Certainly no motorized bicycle, but half the weight of an XS1100.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
            Hi gang!
            I haven't been on here in a while
            Special Ed
            Hi Special Ed
            We missed you

Great to have you back on. Keep that laptop with Win10 and, Keep Posting.
            btw: You sure have had a rough year when it comes to the medical department. We wish you a speedy recovery on those wrist and shoulder issues.
            Seems all the other stuff is now under control? Hope so.

+1 on what the guys are saying. Guess it first comes down to where you think you would be riding and how often. Then maybe get a machine to meet that purpose.

Trike or a smaller bike is not bad if you are planning to 'put on some miles' up and down that beautiful California coast of in the coastal mountains.
            Otherwise, if you just see doing some occasional local riding then scooter would make a fine machine. or a powered bicycle (but those skinny bicycle tires scare me since they can easily pick grooves or hit rocks that send you flying. Scooters have come a long way in performance & design and functionality (like hauling groceries) or stuff for overnight trip. You likely cant get away with 'wringing out' an XS11 on Sunset Drive or Ocean View or 17 Mile. so maybe XS11 not the right tool if you are going to just ride local.

Guess in any case there is some soul searching involved to figure out whats right. Also want to 'Be Safe' out there.
            Lots of options depending on where you think you would ride and for how many miles each time. A dilemma and some soul searching we all must face at some point.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hi Ed,
              +1 to JeffH post. The XS is certainly a heavy beast so perhaps time for some one else to enjoy it. If you want to stay old school the XJ650 is much shorter and lighted while still having plenty of get up and go. The Burgmann scooter with 650 would be worth looking at for a modern machine.
              What ever you decide please continue to join the discussion here on XS11.com
              Get well soon.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Ed:

Personally I would hate to lose your posts and discussions in this group. Whatever you do, stay on the list!

I kid my wife that when I can't hold up the bike I will get a trike or one of those Can-Am critters. Having said that, I do think a 550cc - 650cc scoot could be an option; easier to handle and still enough power to make riding fun. My '82 Yamaha XS 400 could handle freeway speeds but it was working pretty hard at 75mph. For a time I had a Honda 4-banger, a 550 SS and it was a good all-around bike.

If you want to go electric, take a look at the Zero motorcycle line; up to 197 mile range between charges. (Zero S model.)

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Hope you heal quickly!
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

As I get older I just keep adding to the list of things I that maybe I should quit.
                  Big heavy motorcycles are cars that fall over when you stop. Doubly so if you start to loose your strength. Just a few years back I was doing things that I just can't do today..

There are a gob of motorcycles out there with three wheels. I know several folks that ride one and they love them. Giving up something you love doing is tough.

Why not add another wheel in there and keep riding??

Rodger
                  RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

As Phil said the Bergman 650..I have been looking into those myself.
                    '80 XS1100 SG
                    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

They do make trike conversions for alot of bikes. They may have one for an xs.
                      81 LH in process
                      09 vstar 1300
                      only allowed 2

Comment

Ed, I have an XJ700 that I plan to sell in the Spring because it is too small for me. If you'd like a look, let me know. It is light and quick, but I feel like I borrowed a kid's StingRay when I ride it.
                        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Back atcha!

Thanks for your encouraging responses and expressions of appreciation for my contributions to this board. I want to respond to all of you individually, but I will have to do so in several post, since there seems to be a time limit on each post, so starting from the bottom up:
                          LOHO, you be de MAN! I can't think of anyone that I had rather see get my bike than you, and I have seriously considered trading for an XJ650 or 700. I also have a lot of parts salvaged from Sparky.
                          We need to discuss this further, my brother.
                          Special Ed

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

Ed, Whatever you decide, we still need to ride out to Baja Cantina once a month or so.... Remember, your bike has a HOT engine, so the new owner should be happy with it. and yeah, take up LoHo on his smaller bike. I'll probably STILL have a hard time keeping up with you when you decide to crank it up!
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Good to hear from you Ray.

Glad to hear from you Ray. Speaking of the Baha Cantina, I was hoping to get you down to go over my skoot, and maybe ride it with me riding "bitch"
                              to the Cantina. She hasn't been started since my fall, and needs some exercise! That will probably be the only way I will ride it for a while.
                              Hope you had a great trip.
                              Special Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X