No announcement yet.

My First Eleven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best part is we are still good friends, much to the chagrin of our spouses. She can't wait to ride on my SG for old times' sake, which should happen soon. We probably won't tell the spouses about that one!
    Steve R

'80 SG
    "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
    1978 XS400E Red
    1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

The XS400 was a POS from the point of view of being a serious ride longer than 60 miles...thats based upon the limits of my tolerance to sit on it before my body was screaming to get off... Over 50 mph and the parallel twin puts out so much vibration that the mirrors are buzzed useless to see anything behind you...that same vibration numbed my hands within 5 mins anything more was an endurance test...so from the standpoint of actually going on a day trip it sucked completely....BUT around town it was fun and easy to ride...I rode the XS400 in Arizona and it was woefully inadequate for those roads...ah but I was young and stupid...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        The XS400 was a POS from the point of view of being a serious ride longer than 60 miles...thats based upon the limits of my tolerance to sit on it before my body was screaming to get off... Over 50 mph and the parallel twin puts out so much vibration that the mirrors are buzzed useless to see anything behind you...that same vibration numbed my hands within 5 mins anything more was an endurance test...so from the standpoint of actually going on a day trip it sucked completely....BUT around town it was fun and easy to ride...I rode the XS400 in Arizona and it was woefully inadequate for those roads...ah but I was young and stupid... YMMV
        Fixed it for you ...
        Marco

Current bikes:
        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
        1979 Honda CBX
        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Marty,
          Now I have to go find the scan of a photo from September 1977. My XS1100 with me and then gf. The color is off because of the old photo, but I may be able to bring it back a little. Tonight I'll look!
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

ha ha Marco...it ocurred to me that I omitted that...I knew you'd fix it...LOL YMMV
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
              I have had an XS400 offered to me recently. It is in poor shape. Looks to be mostly there. It is in a barn. A real barn find. Have not gone after it yet. Price is right. It is free!
              Where is it? If you do not want it I could use a second project.

Bill
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

I used to have an XS400 that I received many tickets on. I also had a RD350 and RD400. The good old 2-Cycle engines. They sure were easy to work on.

I also had a XS650. That twin 650 had a lot of torque.

The good old days...

Bill
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                  My XS400 Special was a 1980 model.

I know I have a bit of nostalgia for the bike ...

But I have to say that riding that little Special gave me some of the greatest riding pleasure and fondest motorcycling memories of my entire riding life.

Definitely not designed for LD rides.....

It excelled around town...

.... Definitely not a POS ...
                  Key words there. First bike I owned was an XS400. Made me want the XS11. My son Dylan learned to ride on an XS400 too until he needed a bigger bike.

I think its fine around town.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                  X