My First Eleven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Eleven

Many years ago (1978) I went to my local Yamaha dealer to buy a 1978E. They had one in stock. The dealer had just gotten it in and was using it as a demo. He had ridden it a couple of hundred miles. I asked when the next one would be there. He said this was the only one they were getting? I politely told him "get off of my motorcycle". I rode it home. I remember loving the bike but not the color. I felt like the bike would look great in black. I returned to the dealer on one occasion to get some touch up paint. All they had was a "kit" that consisted of base coat - clear coat. I declined.

Had the bike for 3 years and moved to Atlanta (still here). About a year later I decided to paint the entire bike. Found a great painter. He painted it and did all of the pin stripes. Clear coated over them. Paint job was awesome - better than Yamaha. And yes, the bike was now black. Also replaced all of the Yamaha (plastic) emblems.

Couple years later, I decided it was (unfortunately) time to sell. So I did. First thing the new owner did was - you guessed it - changed out the perfect factory exhaust for a 4 into 1 "performance" loud one. I wonder if he still has the old one? LOL

I have not thought about that E for some time until the other day when my wife found an old picture of the bike. I took a picture of that picture (a little fuzzy) and am posting it here. "Those were the days".

Last edited by MPittma100; 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Reminds me of Jame's "Balck Beauty".
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Memories

Aah, yes, bike nostalgia ...

I know the feeling well, Mike ...

It makes you feel both happy and sad at the same time. I feel the same way about an XS400 Special I purchased new back then.

Wish I still owned it ... great memories on that bike. Seller's remorse is a terrible feeling!

That E looks great in black with the perfect factory pinstriping ... thanks for sharing that, Mike!
      Last edited by Prisoner6; 08-03-2015, 03:09 PM.
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

I still have the XS650 I bought new 32 years ago. I need to ride it, but I'm happy it's still with me.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
          Aah, yes, bike nostalgia ...

I know the feeling well, Mike ...

It makes you feel both happy and sad at the same time. I feel the same way about an XS400 Special I purchased new back then.

Wish I still owned it ... great memories on that bike. Seller's remorse is a terrible feeling!

That E looks great in black with the perfect factory pinstriping ... thanks for sharing that, Mike!
          I have had an XS400 offered to me recently. It is in poor shape. Looks to be mostly there. It is in a barn. A real barn find. Have not gone after it yet. Price is right. It is free!
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Nice throwback memories Mike...I was the original owner of my XJ1100 for its 1st 30 yrs...thought i was done when i sold it in 2012 but that didnt last too long...LOL I had '78 XS400 too..tough old bike and fun around town but do not take it anywhere out of town...its a POS mirrors vibrate at 50 mph so bad they are useless to see with...your hands will go numb in 50 miles...its a tall bike for 400 and it gets 70mpg ...top speed is all of 70 maybe 75...and it feels like it will disintergrate at any moment....
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Pit Bike

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              Nice throwback memories Mike...I was the original owner of my XJ1100 for its 1st 30 yrs...thought i was done when i sold it in 2012 but that didnt last too long...LOL I had '78 XS400 too..tough old bike and fun around town but do not take it anywhere out of town...its a POS mirrors vibrate at 50 mph so bad they are useless to see with...your hands will go numb in 50 miles...its a tall bike for 400 and it gets 70mpg ...top speed is all of 70 maybe 75...and it feels like it will disintergrate at any moment....
              Sounds like it would make a good pit bike at the race track.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                Sounds like it would make a good pit bike at the race track.
                yes it would...like I said it was fun around town but beyond that and you have exceeded its design limitations for speed and comfort...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Wow, Mike! Cool!

Look how shiny that engine is!!

Swweeeeettt!!

That one's so clean it would make Bohn jealous! LOL!
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

... I had '78 XS400 too..tough old bike and fun around town but do not take it anywhere out of town...its a POS
                    My XS400 Special was a 1980 model.

I know I have a bit of nostalgia for the bike ...

But I have to say that riding that little Special gave me some of the greatest riding pleasure and fondest motorcycling memories of my entire riding life.

Definitely not designed for LD rides, but I did take it on a few short trips back then, along with riding the wheels off it locally, both commuting and just for fun.

It excelled around town ...

And it had no problem taking me down the freeway at 70 mph (I think I weighed about 150 lbs. when I bought it new off the showroom floor).

I put nearly 40,000 mi. on that Special ... all I did was recommended maintenance, and never had one problem with it. Definitely not a POS ...
                    Last edited by Prisoner6; 08-03-2015, 11:31 PM.
                    Marco

Current bikes:
                    1979 Honda CBX
                    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Marco you forgot to add...YMMV...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

i LOVED my red 400. My roommate had the 850 Special which I inherited when he left Hawaii (where I went to school).

For a short time there I lived in Waikiki, dated a former Miss Maui, had a 1969 Austin Healey Sprite, and the two Yamahas. That was fun...
                        Steve R

'80 SG
                        "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                        1978 XS400E Red
                        1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Marco you forgot to add...YMMV...
                          You're right, Ben!

Now that I think about it ... I used to average almost 75 MPG from my XS400 ...

YMMV ...
                          Marco

Current bikes:
                          1979 Honda CBX
                          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Bergman16 View Post
                            ... For a short time there I lived in Waikiki, dated a former Miss Maui, had a 1969 Austin Healey Sprite, and the two Yamahas. That was fun...
                            I'll bet I can guess which of those was the most fun ...
                            Marco

Current bikes:
                            1979 Honda CBX
                            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Well, you know what they say, that a motorcycle is the "second" most exciting thing to put between your legs!

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X