Moved to North Carolina not without some pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved to North Carolina not without some pain

Recently, I have moved from way out west to North Carolina. Once here, I notified PORGESSIVE of my new address, they in short order sent me a revised M/C policy with new address and proof of insurance cards.

AAA did the same for my truck.

I obtained my NCDL with M/C endorsement.

So today, I set off to the local NCDMV office to register my XS and truck properly bestowed with all accoutrement of documentation to pull this off with minimal pain.

I have the original license plate that came on my XS when new. It is my wish to continue that vintage plate on my vintage XS.

The NCDMV person sez, “Here in NC, you can do that
    ‘IF’ the vehicle is recognized by NC as vintage.” NC recognizes my XS as an antique – check in the box –

“BUT” I must go to the number one NCDMV office in a city far, far away and plead my case to some sort of czar.

“IF” said czar agrees to my request, I can continue to display my vintage plate on my vintage – uh – antique XS.

“BUT” I still have to obtain a NC M/C plate

“AND” keep that NC plate somewhere on my XS.

“Okay,” sez I “gimmi the NC plate.”

“Can’t” sez the NCDMV person, “Your PORGESSIVE M/C insurance ain’t no good here in NC.” (paraphrased sort of)

“Okay,” sez I “I have AAA with my truck, I’ll just give’m a call and they’ll fix me up.”

“Maybe,” sez the NCDMV person, “but only if it is NC MEMBERSHIP AAA insurance. Just AAA insurance won’t do.” (paraphrased)

So I got out of line and called my local AAA agent to get fixed up.
    To end the suspense, I do have NC MEMBERSHIP AAA and my agent fixed me up with NC MEMBERSHIP AAA M/C insurance that is underwritten by PORGESSIVE.
    “S**T!” sez I (not paraphrased)

I left with my new NC plates and a spinning head and some more hoops to jump through.
    1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
    Braded stainless brake lines
    4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
    V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
    Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
    Vetter Windjammer III faring
    Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
    James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Gotta get your Recommended Daily Allowance of Bureaucracy!
    Mike C
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Now you know why I moved BACK to Can'taffordya after my stint at Fort Bragg, NC. I don't do well with people that need to make themselves feel important. I had a vehicle "inspected" when I bought it there. It passed and it had holes through the front brake drums! The only thing holding it together were the cooling fins on the drums.
      No, I DON'T think much of the NCDMV....
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
        Now you know why I moved BACK to Can'taffordya after my stint at Fort Bragg, NC.
        They can keep Fayetteville.
        Mike C
        Lake Orion, Michigan
        '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

OK then. We'll be expecting.you at XS Southeast in September!

I transplanted to Georgia in 1987. I ain't goin' back!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Bullcrap..I live in Nc and I have Progressive on my bike...IF your bike is 35 years or older its automatically an antique and Inspection is not required...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by je2wheeler View Post
              I left with my new NC plates and a spinning head and some more hoops to jump through.
              I pushed Troops through ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) a Camp Lejeune following my second tour. I bought a CB750 and a ’64 Impala SS Convertible off another Gunny.
              I don’t recall any problems back then. At that time, Jacksonville was over the top anti-Marine and still I had no problems I can recall.
              Dang, sure wish I kept that SS eventhough it had suffered the raviges of the swamps and coast.
              1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
              Braded stainless brake lines
              4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
              V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
              Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
              Vetter Windjammer III faring
              Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
              James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

Working...
              X