220 V smoke missing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Scott/3Phase and Steve and Marty and Nate, etc.,

No flame interpreted...I knew the crimp wasn't as good as OEM, but it was after hours, had the dryer all out and apart, and just wanted to get it working again ASAP. I'll get with an appliance repair shop in the near future and get the proper crimp. The only part that I could see the discoloration from overheating was actually at the crimped slip on tab....the heating element just behind that connector looked just great, and I used it this weekend and it worked flawlessly and flamelessly! The test specs told me that the element should measure ~10-15 ohms, and it was just a tad over 10 ohms, it's one continuous coil that is just positioned with a variety of spacers.

Scott, you must have vice grip strength in your hands to be able to use the regular scissor/plier style crimper that comes in the crimp set. I used that same style of crimper, but then used my actual VICE GRIPS to be able to apply much more pressure on the crimp area.

All advice is taken seriously, and I will apply them to make the repair back up to OEM grade very soon. Now I have to deal with a 12V loss on my bike next...look for another thread soon!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I know, T.C., I'm just cracking up because it spawned a whole new crimper thread! A busted dryer isn't funny at all but the follow-up after fixing it has been hilarious.

No, it doesn't take any unusual strength to work the crimper I've got. It has the big orange padded PVC grips on the handle and it actually has decent leverage. Best of all: it works so I kept it!

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Why not drill the hole slightly larger on the connector, feed the wire through and make a strong mechanical connection and use some silver solder to fix it forever?

Why keep the plug? It was simply used to make assembly quicker/cheaper.
        1) Fire up Internet Explorer
        2) http://www.yahoo.com
        3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
        4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Working...
        X