Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 V smoke missing!

Hey folks,

This is NO April's Fool thread. A couple of nights ago, was doing the laundry, and noticed that the dryer seemed to be running a long time. Checked the clothes....and they were still damp and COLD! Rechecked the settings, changed from SENSOR dry to Timed Dry, same thing, NO HEAT!

Read up on it...a Maytag Commercial Grade dryer from some 16 years ago, found a parts/price listing....and figured the most common cause of loss of heat was a fried/broken heating element! Found one for about $85.00! But I also found some other repair links, learned about testing it with an OHMMETER first!

Tonight after dinner, got into it, had to pull it out from it's upstairs hallway slot, disconnect the power and exhaust vent, then pulled the front off first.

Then got down and looked up/back towards the heating element...and was a bit surprised to see this!

Pulled the bottom loose so I could get better access, and pulled the wire and crimp on clip off and laid it against the dryer for this shot.

This plug is at the END of the heating coil elements, and apparently gets rather warm/hot...note the blue discoloration of the prong! The copper wire was STIFF, the crimp on clip was actually MELTED apart from the wire!!!

So...I went to my local auto parts store, got some nice 10-12 gauge 1/4" crimp on clips for a few bucks, cut about 2" off of the end of the burnt wire to get to clean copper, stripped the insulation back a bit, and crimped on a new connector, plugged it back onto the heating element prong, put it all back together, and VIOLA it's heating again!!!!

SO....nice not to have to replace the $85.00 heating element, just a $0.50 crimp on connector and a couple of hours of labor....now I can do my laundry this weekend!!

Hope you enjoyed the show! T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

That right there

is a reason dryers start so many house fires.

I'm really glad you found it before something bad happened.
    79 SF & 80 LG MNS
    73 & 74 RD 350's
    73 Honda CL 450
    Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Nice job!

Make sure you clean the lint out of the exhaust duct and vent line before you put everything back together.

If the heated air doesn't exhaust freely it can hold in heat. Long-term it cooks things like the upper wire terminal and the ceramic block you just fixed; short-term it'll trip the overtemp sensor or the lint will catch fire.

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Like the old electrical saying: "to measure is to know." Good thing u did your research prior to purchase. However, I'd be more curious to know what caused the resistance for that connector to super-heat . . .
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Great job TC...you may have fixed the problem but i would stll pay attention to things under there...thats alot of heat to melt the connector and i would be concerned as to why and if its still doing it...16 years is a good run....
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Burned Connector

I have been involved with a lot of these failures in various voltage ranges and it turns out that the culprit causing the problem is the crimp-on connector itself. Over time resistance builds to a point that something is going to smoke/burn. There are theories that the metal type that the crimps are made of cause the problem. Another theory is that the crimp loosens after repeated loads. These types of connectors are not able to carry a lot of current and thus fail. The feature of the "quick connect" is why they are used. They save manufacturers lots of $ in assembly costs. They work best when used to trigger a relay.

TC that was a good find and fix on your dryer. Still a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher nearby. By the way, Maytag needs more people like you.
            Last edited by MPittma100; 04-02-2015, 06:46 AM.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Hi TC,
              yeah, they cheap out on the connector size and wire gauge so they will do that.
              BUT the $2 fix don't always work on a newer appliance.
              When my son's modern dryer quit he had it all apart on his basement floor and phoned me for advice.
              I told him, the heater connector has burned out and he said no, it's fine.
              The internet told him what to check with his multi-meter so he did and WTF was a thermistor anyway?
              And thanks to this list's information about the XS11Special fuel warning light, I was able to tell him!
              3 weeks & $30 later his dryer's new thermistor arrived and we ain't doing his laundry any more.
              "Gee Mom, you folded the shirts and paired the socks, too."
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey TC. Not to rain on your parade, but the crimp you used will likely fail in short order. Did you notice that the remaining brass terminals have a second crimp point on them. One to hold the wire, and the other to hold the outer sheath. They are also a folded crimp, not just a squashed one. In an element circuit the second crimp has a very important job. To stop the joint flexing and coming loose in the high current, high heat environment where it work. Because the element is typically pulsing on and off to maintain the heat, and prevent overheating, so is the current load in the joint pulsing in and off. What this translates to for the poor old spade terminal is rapid, and repeated expansion and contraction of the wire, and terminal. Without something holding the outer sheath this very quickly allows the wire to flex and come loose, creating a high resistance joint, and an end result such as you've seen. Automotive crimps have their place but it's not inside a 220v drier.
                And to add, most dryer fires are actually caused by failing to clean lint filters, not failed joints as mentioned above. Most joints that fail in appliances simply stop working, as in your case, or short out to earth and blow a fuse. When insulation overheats in appliance wire it rarely causes a fire due to the insulation having self extinguishing properties. Only time It's an issue is when there's combustibles in the immediate vicinity.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I believe it's an open barrel crimp tool that you need, but my experience with these is limited. I'm sure one of you experts will correct me if I'm wrong.

This is what you use on our old Yamahas at the connectors.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

You're right as always Marty. As always, Tony is the place to go for those connectors and crimpers.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Good Work, T.C.!

Sheesh! T.C. fixes his dryer and gets flamed for the crimp job!

Man, he has clean, dry clothes and and and the dryer works!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for one night.
                      Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!"

-- Scott
                      _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Scott,
                        I wouldn't call that flamed. That was constructive criticism. There's a big difference in my book. Learning is the purpose of this forum. Yes, TC is far more capable than the average bear.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Ok, I'll rain even more on this parade.....

TC, it's going to fail again. I went through this with my furnace, so I've BTDT.

The crimp connectors used in high-heat applications (furnaces, dryers, stoves, particularly for heating element connections) aren't the same as 'regular' crimps; they look the same but are usually made of plated steel or special alloy brass to take the heat involved. The heat cycles will quickly cause the joint to fail again with a 'standard' copper or brass crimp. You can buy the correct crimps at most appliance repair shops, and yes, you'll need the correct crimper.

But that may not be the whole problem. Many of these heating elements (particularly furnaces and dryers) aren't one element but multiple elements connected together. If the element is starting to fail, or one section has failed, you can have increased current or spikes that can overload even the 'right' connector. I went through this on my old furnace. Furnace quit, found a burned-off connection. Replaced it with a 'regular' crimp. Burned off again several times... Found out about the high-heat crimps, switched to those. They now lasted longer, but still kept burning off. Finally checked the elements (my furnace had 12 separate elements), found 3-4 failed 'open' and another 2-3 that were partially internally shorted. These high currents don't do the switching relays any good either.

Now, you may get away with this. But if it fails again, check the element over carefully; if it looks overheated or damaged anywhere, you'll need a new one. You should also replace any burned sections of wire, once it's got that hot the electrical properties are changed. Again, this is special wire, same source as the crimp connectors.

As a side note, I ended up replacing the furnace. The 'obsolete' heating elements were going to cost way more than a whole new furnace did....
                          Last edited by crazy steve; 04-06-2015, 02:05 PM.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah, I know it wasn't a Genuine Flame(c) but what else can you call it in a electric dryer fire thread?

Steve, where they are allowed a lot of the crimp connectors I've used for single and poly phase heating elements are stainless spring steel. Barring ''spendy exotic metals and connectors for stringing NASA booster stages nothing else could handle the current and the heat.

And I know you don't want to know about the crimp tool I've had for a going on thirty years now that came (FREE!) as part of a 99 cent terminal kit.

-- Scott
                            _____

Comment

I realize the element wasnt your issue but Something we used to do when I was young, instead of replacing the heating element you just hook the coils of the heating element over eachother so that it is reconnected. Not saying it is the safest but we did it for my whole childhood, probably a dozen+ times with one coil, and never had a issue with it. Still worked fine when my parents got rid of it because the washer died and they got a new set.

And this was one of those sweet avacado green appliance sets!
                              Last edited by natemoen; 04-06-2015, 06:21 PM.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X