Off-topic: Cat D2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-topic: Cat D2

I was out riding my Concours yesterday and had an interesting trip. I was running down a side road when I spotted some old ('30s - '50s) crawler tractors sitting in a yard. I rode up to the house, introduced myself, and found myself talking to a guy who has been collecting old crawlers for many years.

To make a long story short, after getting a tour of his place, including his sheds where he has some pretty rare machines (including a 1918 Cletrac with a steering wheel) he invited me to drive one of his D2 Cats. I had never driven a dozer before.

He started the pony engine, then started the main engine. I hopped into the driver's seat, raised the blade, and put the Cat in gear. Having used a hand clutch before the gearing and clutching was not new, but steering with the two levers - they activate left and right-hand track clutches - was new.

It was a hoot. It took very little time to get the measure of the steering clutches and gauging how the amount of lever movement translated into actual steering changes. I did not push any dirt but still had a good time.

I was invited back, and the next time I'll have my camera with me...this is one of the few times I had not picked it up when I left for my ride.

I realize that antique dozers are not everyone's cup of tea, but for those who might have an interest, if you ever get the chance to pilot one of these old Cats around, take it. While I may never own one, although I would like to, I can now say I have completed a Bucket List wish of running a Cat dozer, even if it was an antique.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Originally posted by Jerry View Post

he invited me to drive one of his D2 Cats. I had never driven a dozer before.

He started the pony engine, then started the main engine. I hopped into the driver's seat, raised the blade, and put the Cat in gear. Having used a hand clutch before the gearing and clutching was not new, but steering with the two levers - they activate left and right-hand track clutches - was new.
    Jerry,

that's quite and experience. Nice the guy was so friendly.
    Good that you were out riding too.

Was curious about that Pony Motor you mentioned
    so I had to see what that looked like

Guess you can check another one off your bucket list???

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Great that you had a chance to drive a track! I've done it, but in the Army. Had my 30 minutes as a APC driver. Same basic design, just with an aluminum box around the driver and a periscope to look through..
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

That sounds like a hoot

I never have had the opportunity to drive a tracked vehicle, sat in the drivers seat of a few of them, but never running.

I'd love to see pictures of older Cat's..
        Thanks for sharing!
        79 SF & 80 LG MNS
        73 & 74 RD 350's
        73 Honda CL 450
        Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Dozers are fun!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've had the pleasure of pushing some dirt around on my Dad's old Cat . . .

He has all kinds of old metal around the farm, a few dozers, a crane or 2 and a homemade wheel trencher for putting in drainage tiles. He says many guys replace the pup (pony) engines with electric start but he's a 'purist'. He brought home a dozer with 30 year old diesel fuel in the tank and didn't even bother to change out the fuel (he got it running). No wonder he can't understand why I'm always talking about bad gas and cleaning carbs etc.
            1979 XS1100SF 37000km
            Green Dyna Coils
            Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
            kevXS

Comment

Later Cats replaced the pony (starting motor) with an OEM electric starter. Some had pony motors with electric start, the D2 I drove was not one of them. Rope pull wrapped around the pony engine flywheel...the classic way to start an old Cat.

kevxs...if your Dad has some old iron he would like see go to a good home, let me know. I would like to pick up a D2 or D4 of any age.

My Dad used to drive Cats, mostly larger D8s, in logging operations in northern California in the late '30s and into the mid-'40s. His dream was always to own his own machine but, alas, it never came to pass. I grew up on his stories of "cat-skinning", as it was known at the time. That's why operating a Cat was a Bucket List item for me...wanted to get some idea of what my Dad experienced back in the day. (He passed away 4 years ago.)

It really was a hoot. I've moved dirt with a backhoe and put in the driveway on our recreational lot with one, ran a lot of farm tractors and equipment when I lived in Wisconsin, but always rubber-tire equipment. I could use a small crawler on the lot, at least that is what I tell SWMBO....

This guy also had a lot of Cletrac crawlers, later produced by Oliver, but they quit producing them in '61. I need to do some research on that brand.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.

Comment

I had the pleasure of working for a major Cat dealer for about 10 years. Access to all kinds of big boy toys. Fortunately, rigs like what you saw have come along way. Old school rigs were a bear to operate and beat you to death. I remember when we got the first (read prototype) D10 high track dozer. It was a big departure from traditional dozer construction and at the time was king of the hill (kinda like our Xs's). We had to keep it under a tarp when it wasn't running so the "competition" couldn't get a look at, or take pictures of it. Electronic controls, air conditioned cab, air ride seat and even a cassette deck. It was being tested in a uranium mine outside Grants New Mexico. Meet a unfortunate death when a turbo lube line ruptured and caught fire. Anything that could burn did. The windows even melted. I still remember the night we played soccer with a dead Honda car in our test pit. Two excavators made short work of it. When we got done, we just dug a really deep hole and buried the evidence.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Soccer with excavators and a Honda? Oh, yeah!
                  <vuzuvelas>
                  Go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-a-a-a-a-l!
                  THUD
                  </vuzuvelas>

Jerry, it's a good thing it wasn't a D7:-
                  Killdozer!

-- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

picture

my Dad had his fleet all lined up when I was back at the farm over Easter. Thought I'd share a pic . . .

1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                    Green Dyna Coils
                    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                    kevXS

Comment

Quite the line up. Thanks for posting.

If anyone is interested I have added some more old equipment photos to one of my on-line galleries titled Old Machinery:
                      http://www.appleattic.net/Galleries/old_machinery.html
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.

Comment

Working...
                      X