Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't throw in the towel just yet..

Don't throw in the towel just yet...
    After a pretty bad dirt bike accident I had the surgery on my left hand,I was lucky enough to have a doctor take payments ..It took a while to pay off but 12 yrs later no problems..I can't remember the exercises I did to recover but I am sure there is info out there...Good luck
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Might Help

Before my accident I was taking Elations glucosamine chondroitin, liquid joint juice, had tried the pills before and felt little if any help for my bad knee, this liquid at a bottle a day with breakfast seemed to work fast, $6.54 per 6 pak Elations Raspberry at Wally.
      Now I find Wally is bringing in a less expensive product, Joint Juice $4.42 per 6 pak Cran Pomegran... Seems to work just as well !

Hearing about my knee Jim Griner founder of the 650 Society offered a very expensive product called Ninxia Red with many juices in it Wolf Berry, Cherry and much more, close to $50 w/SH per bottle 2 oz. 1-2 Xs a day. This did not seem to do anything for my knee.

He then heard about my crash and suggested I try it again, it really helps ! Mentioned it to one of my physical therapists and she said the cherry is a good anti inflammatory, she did not know about the other juices in it but suspected they were also similar in there medicinal properties. I would not spend this amount every month or so (I take about 2oz. a day) but I have for the last 4 months, I feel it helps me move, and be comfortable doing more things or nothing at all. Still it takes a little while for it to kick in. I've felt so good a couple of times I quit taking it, not to long and I was hoping my next order would show up soon !

I would think a lower priced cherry rich drink with other fruits might help ?
      I could supply a list of what else is in the Ninxia Red ?

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
      Glucosamine helps, I just can't afford it. They only had one type of sugury when they did mine, slice your hand open. Much more recovery needed from that. After the stitches were out, I had physical therapy 3 times a week for 6 weeks. The mild heat is best for relaxing the hand before I do my stretches. While ice can help with relieving the pain, the cold actually draws blood to that area and can increase the inflammation.

Larry
      Originally posted by Yahman View Post
      Glucosamine helps, I just can't afford it. They only had one type of sugury when they did mine, slice your hand open. Much more recovery needed from that. After the stitches were out, I had physical therapy 3 times a week for 6 weeks. The mild heat is best for relaxing the hand before I do my stretches. While ice can help with relieving the pain, the cold actually draws blood to that area and can increase the inflammation.
      Last edited by donebysunday; 12-18-2014, 11:12 AM.
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments...I'm not ready to sell off SwampGurl...but if I do Randy you're at the top of the list... I just got the XJ airshocks and still want to get them installed...I cant do any work as my hands arent letting me so eventually I'll be headed over to Mark's house which is a good 60 mile round trip...just about as far as I'd want to go...Also am looking into healthcare options that would get me covered for the micro surgery...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          Most will say on the bottle if the mercury has been filtered out. Now whether that's actually true or not...
          yeah the bottle says "purified to remove Mercury"...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
            I'm not ready to sell off SwampGurl...but if I do Randy you're at the top of the list...
            OK, just don't make me bend over TOO far lol.

Daine just got a new Bonneville, so I see us 2up on the wing a lot less now, so there would be a place for another sport tourer in the stable
            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
              Before my accident I was taking Elations glucosamine chondroitin, liquid joint juice, had tried the pills before and felt little if any help for my bad knee, this liquid at a bottle a day with breakfast seemed to work fast, $6.54 per 6 pak Elations Raspberry at Wally.
              Now I find Wally is bringing in a less expensive product, Joint Juice $4.42 per 6 pak Cran Pomegran... Seems to work just as well !

Hearing about my knee Jim Griner founder of the 650 Society offered a very expensive product called Ninxia Red with many juices in it Wolf Berry, Cherry and much more, close to $50 w/SH per bottle 2 oz. 1-2 Xs a day. This did not seem to do anything for my knee.

He then heard about my crash and suggested I try it again, it really helps ! Mentioned it to one of my physical therapists and she said the cherry is a good anti inflammatory, she did not know about the other juices in it but suspected they were also similar in there medicinal properties. I would not spend this amount every month or so (I take about 2oz. a day) but I have for the last 4 months, I feel it helps me move, and be comfortable doing more things or nothing at all. Still it takes a little while for it to kick in. I've felt so good a couple of times I quit taking it, not to long and I was hoping my next order would show up soon !

I would think a lower priced cherry rich drink with other fruits might help ?
              I could supply a list of what else is in the Ninxia Red ?
              There's plenty of people that claim cherry juice helps with joint pain. I have not tried it yet. I add things like that to my routine one at a time so I can evaluate if they help or not.

Thanks,
              Larry
              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
              82 XJ1100
              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                OK, just don't make me bend over TOO far lol.

Daine just got a new Bonneville, so I see us 2up on the wing a lot less now, so there would be a place for another sport tourer in the stable
                A new Triumph? Well thats a step up from the Vstar...tell her congratulations and continued good luck...riding on Long Island isnt for the faint of heart and if she is cutting her teeth there on two wheels she'll be as tough as you are...she'll be able to ride anywhere...how is that?
                As for bending you out of shape...not to worry my good man...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Good luck

Good luck with the options on surgery, Guys I know up here in Nova Scotia have had them and there good to go after 6 weeks rest.....our decades catch up to us in one way or the other I guess. But like some have said, give it a chance to see what they can do for you...I will be 65 in a couple days dont know how many more years I will be in the saddle....I was thinking the other day of this older Guy on an XS1100 that showed up at our 2002 XS east rallie, he had to be 77 anyway dressed and looking like Buffalo Bill Cody, rode 200 miles to get there.
                  Bruce
                  Bruce Doucette
                  Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

As when young there comes a day when there is no fear. In between young (no fear) and old (no fear) it can get scary !

Originally posted by desert1 View Post
                    I was thinking the other day of this older Guy on an XS1100 that showed up at our 2002 XS east rallie, he had to be 77 anyway dressed and looking like Buffalo Bill Cody, rode 200 miles to get there.
                    Bruce
                    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                    80 XS650 G Special II
                    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                    80 XS 1100 SG
                    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Joint pain

Put a box of "Golden Raisens" in a mason Jar. Cover them with a Good GIN
                      ( has to be made with Juniper Berries ) let sit for a couple of days.
                      I had severe knee pain and this fixed it.

Google "Drunkin Raisens "
                      78E, 79F, 80G

Comment

Originally posted by Donmystic1 View Post
                        Put a box of "Golden Raisens" in a mason Jar. Cover them with a Good GIN
                        ( has to be made with Juniper Berries ) let sit for a couple of days.
                        I had severe knee pain and this fixed it.

Google "Drunkin Raisens "
                        So you put "good gin" on your knee?
                        -Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Two spoonfulls of raisins, one in the morning and one at night .all the pains go away.
                          78E, 79F, 80G

Comment

Hi Madmax.
                            I had carpel a carpel tunnel release (big cut) done a couple of years ago.
                            Like you I had no health insurance. I was advised to get both hands done but only got the worse one done, as I wanted to be able to wipe my bum afterwards. In hindsight it was a great move as my left hand has been fine since,strangely this is a common scenario.
                            I don't know what the operation costs there in the U.S however it was $3,000 here. All in all it was money well spent. I am a woodworker/sculptor and can still use all my chisels and other hand tools. Also still riding my bikes....with no numb fingers anymore.
                            I guess it took about 6 months for the hand in question to get back to normal.
                            79 SF
                            Honda KO 750
                            Honda K2 750 Bobber in progress
                            Moto Guzzi 1000cc mongrel custom
                            HD FXST 2008
                            Bonneville SE 2010 (wifeys)

Comment

Over here, $3000 won't get you a colonoscopy. They'll get $300 for and aspirin and a Kleenex! I understand your frustration, Ben. Insurance to cover those costs is extremely expensive!
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

There are supposed to be subsidies for low income folks who cant afford healthcare...medicaid for one...whats more scary is not having some health insurance when your health goes south...just see how far you get when you need care and they find you have no money or health insurance...
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X