Ready to cash it in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to cash it in...

Well Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands has grounded my riding/saddle time to a halt... Worst in my right hand ...I can no longer feel what my hand is doing or it is too painful to grip the throttle for any length of time...for a while I thought I could get by using the throttle lock thats on there but it still isnt enough. I need to have surgery on the right hand or risk nerve damage if I let it continue....being retired and on a fixed income i fall into that class of people who have no health insurance and cannot afford any...
    So at this point it looks like I'm done riding motorcycles after 38 years on street machines and a childhood on borrowed mini bikes and dirt bikes...Will keep the bike for a while yet as I'm just not ready to severe all ties.....but the writing is on the wall...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Sorry to hear that my friend. I am sure we all will still hope for the best for you!
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I know just how you feel. 25 years ago I had to quit riding and sell my GS850 for the same reason. I just didn't feel safe and under control anymore, and that was after having surgery on both hands. My XJ is the only bike I have been able to ride for any real distance since then. That's why I will never part with it. Don't get rid of your bike unless you have to. I wish I had kept my Suzuki, even if I couldn't ride it.

Heat therapy then stretching exercises for the hands, rest and time are the only things that have helped my hands. Learning to do things differently with less strain to the wrist. Little change's can help. The frequency of the vibration in the handlebars and the diameter of the grips makes a big difference.

Larry
      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
      82 XJ1100
      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
      64 Yamaha YA-6
      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

gonna try a couple things before surgery...one is the use of Glucosamine Sulfate...that will take at least 30 days before feeling any effects...the other is rest and applying ice which seems to help more than heat does. There are 3 types of surgery and the latest technique is a micro surgery that is the least invasive procedeure...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Glucosamine helps, I just can't afford it. They only had one type of sugury when they did mine, slice your hand open. Much more recovery needed from that. After the stitches were out, I had physical therapy 3 times a week for 6 weeks. The mild heat is best for relaxing the hand before I do my stretches. While ice can help with relieving the pain, the cold actually draws blood to that area and can increase the inflammation.

Larry

82 XJ1100
          64 Yamaha YA-6
          77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

My Mom had the micro surgery done and it worked fine minimal recovery time or PT needed I seem to recall and minimally invasive...a month's supply of glcosamine is 12 bucks...you cant afford that? I have been told Fish Oil has the same benefits...so I got a 2 month supply of softgels 1000mgs for 6 bucks...from Walmart...Thanks Tod..
            Last edited by madmax-im; 12-17-2014, 02:43 PM.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              My Mom had the micro surgery done and it worked fine minimal recovery time or PT needed I seem to recall and minimally invasive...a month's supply of glcosamine is 12 bucks...you cant afford that? I have been told Fish Oil has the same benefits...so I got a 2 month supply of softgels 1000mgs for 6 bucks...from Walmart...Thanks Tod..
              With the cost of medical, I'm always looking for ways to reduce it. I just started taking Fish Oil a week ago, it is supposed to help with my Psoriasis. If it helps my hands that's all the better. Thanks for the info.

Larry

82 XJ1100
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

Comment

I have been told by those who know...to take Glucosamine Sulfate not the other with hydorchloride
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                  I just started taking Fish Oil a week ago, it is supposed to help with my Psoriasis.
                  Larry
                  I recently heard some doc on the radio say to take krill oil instead of fish oil. Fish oil can be contaminated with heavy metals. Krill oil isn't.

Ben,
                  You can watch carpel tunnel relief surgery on Youtube. It looks simple, but I don't think you should do it yourself. Hopefully, 2015 will be a better year.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Thanks Marty...I dont particularly care to watch surgeries nor will I performing any self inflicted procedeures...but it does look like I should follow procedeures to winterize my bike... cause I'm taking the winter off...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ben,
                      I'm picking on you again. I admit it. Be well!
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        Ben,
                        I'm picking on you again. I admit it. Be well!
                        yeah I thought you were pulling my leg...just had to make you think i was clueless...ha ha
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

sorry, but don,t sell Max !

Aug 27 1953, so I am just a little behind you in years. Still riding but the only therapy I get during the winter is working on the bikes ( even just a little polishing and tinkering helps. Sometimes I get up in the night just to go out in the garage and tinker.
                          79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                          85 Honda v65 Magna
                          70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                          02 Road King (retirement gift)
                          First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            I recently heard some doc on the radio say to take krill oil instead of fish oil. Fish oil can be contaminated with heavy metals. Krill oil isn't.

Most will say on the bottle if the mercury has been filtered out. Now whether that's actually true or not...
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

So sorry to hear this, Ben. Hopefully a couple of months off and the pill / heat/ cold therapy will make riding possible again, even if for short hops.

Keep us posted on your progress, and as vedgar wrote, please don't sell Swampgurl!

But if after all else has failed, you do decide to sell I call first dibs!
                              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Working...
                              X