New to site. Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    I was looking for the "before" picture of that bike Ben but I couldn't find it. Ask Randy for it.
    I have it somewhere.....
    this is the only surviving before pic of SwampThing...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 11-05-2014, 07:24 AM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

This pic is after the bike was pulled out of LA and brought back to Stroudsburg PA...It was actually a complete bike and Randy statred taking pics of it as he was dis-assembling it...He had a whole blog write up with more pics but lost it when he lost the server...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

That's the one I was looking for.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Heres something else to consider...

I bought this '81 Special from the original owner...he did all the mods back in '81 wwhen there were no controversies over keeping it in its purest form...while many folks here arent overly thrilled with this bike...I absolutely loved it...Was it 100% pure?...NO...but it still was done in respect to keeping it as faithful to a stock XS as possible...so to me this is acceptable.
          The original owner wanted a bad assed no nonsense Streetfigher look and he achieved that without butchering the bike up...I did sell this one and like all my previous sales...regretted it after the fact There are alot of mods on this one see how many you all can count...;-)
          Last edited by madmax-im; 11-05-2014, 07:47 AM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey again,

The spare pipes you have are OEM headers with aftermarket turnouts grafted to them. Your bucket-o-parts have the OEM turn signals, the OEM tail light, the OEM Air Box intake/carb mounting boots of the airbox....they are good for making modest velocity stack type mounts for the Pod filters...see the tech tips!

I think I remember you saying that you're 25 y/o. Most folks that are chronologically challenged think that everyone else out there on the road are the same as they are, with good vision and hearing. The truth is that our general population is aging considerably, and with that comes loss of hearing and vision, and reflexes. I would like to invite you to go to the MISC forum, and read/review the WHY WE ARE INVISIBLE thread/tech tip I posted a few years back! IT may open your eyes....pun intended....as to the possible perils and folly of using SMALL tail/brake light and turn signals. We want you to be around for many decades to come, both enjoying your bike as well as the rest of your life in good physical condition, not mangled due to a severe car/motorcycle interface!

As has been stated, the charging system may have problems, but you won't be able to tell until you get the harness connections all cleaned up first, don't forget the large white plugs for the ALT that are BEHIND The main fuse/electrical panel.. Some have found them melted due to the corrosion and resistance/heat that can occur!

Yes, a wandering affect can come from poor/worn/aged tires, but surprisingly it can also come from old dried up steering neck bearings. You'll want to take the forks and then Triple Tree apart and inspect, clean and repack the steering head bearings for optimal performance and ease of steering.

T.C.
            ps..the speed thing was the chicken crossing the road kinda of thing!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              Hey again,

Most folks that are chronologically challenged think that everyone else out there on the road are the same as they are, with good vision and hearing. The truth is that our general population is aging considerably, and with that comes loss of hearing and vision, and reflexes.
              Yep, I just learned today that an old friend of mine lost his life. Safety needs to be foremost.

http://www.kulr8.com/story/27282074/...edium=facebook
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Nice bike. I saw that on craigslist last week. I think the ads still up
                81 xs1100 SH
                81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                80 suzuki gs550et
                07 suzuki S40

Comment

Yep, I just learned today that an old friend of mine lost his life. Safety needs to be foremost.

Possible alcohol and speed, according to the coroner. No other vehicle involved. That's a lesson for everyone.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I'm sorry, Greg. You'd think he was old enough to know better. Some mistakes have terrible consequences.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

[QUOTE=BA80;453147]Yep, I just learned today that an old friend of mine lost his life. Safety needs to be foremost.

Sorry for your loss. May his friends and family find peace. He was doing what he wanted to do. RIP
                      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                      80 XS650 G Special II
                      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                      80 XS 1100 SG
                      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        ... The truth is that our general population is aging considerably, and with that comes loss of hearing and vision, and reflexes ...
                        Very sad ... I'm sorry for your loss, Greg.

To all my fellow XSives ... I know it sounds like a cliché, but please "ride responsibly" ... and we all know what that means.

The risk is too great if we don't ...
                        Marco

Current bikes:
                        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                        1979 Honda CBX
                        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                          Very sad ... I'm sorry for your loss, Greg.

To all my fellow XSives ... I know it sounds like a cliché, but please "ride responsibly" ... and we all know what that means.

The risk is too great if we don't ...
                          The risk is to others as well as ourselves. I don't want any of my loved ones wiped out by a drunk/drugged/speeding driver.
                          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                            The risk is to others as well as ourselves. I don't want any of my loved ones wiped out by a drunk/drugged/speeding driver.
                            Agreed, James ...

That is precisely what I meant ... An impaired or irresponsible rider/driver puts everyone on the road at risk.

And life is too short for any of us to risk our lives or others' lives by acting foolishly when we ride or drive.

As Greg said, "Safety needs to be foremost."

Safety in our diligence in keeping our bikes/cars functioning properly and, of paramount importance, safety in our own behavior.
                            Marco

Current bikes:
                            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                            1979 Honda CBX
                            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
                            X