No announcement yet.

Enterprise: 1981 XS1100H Bob Jones Custom aka The Navy Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John wanted to wait until the Navy bike was all cleaned up really well to take some good pics to post, but here's one he posted to Facebook. At least it shows the complete bike instead of just its guts all over the floor. John, if it makes you mad that I posted this because it wasn't as good as what you wanted to post.. tough! Post some better ones as well then. lol.

Friday, we all got there and went to get a bite to eat. John picked up everyone's tab, so kind of mad I didn't get the T-bone. We got back to Russ and JENNA's house and started tearing the bike down @ 9pm. Got everything down and cases split... mainly because on my way to Kansas, I was falling asleep. So, I drank a 5hr energy thing. 30 minutes later, still falling asleep, so drank another. Still falling asleep, so stopped and got a 32 ounce jug of coffee. At 3am, I still wasn't the slightest bit tired...
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Nice Work!!

Kinda sounds like the Midwest/Southern Plains XS11 Geek Squad All-Stars to the rescue!! Amazing what a bunch of guys who know what they are doing can accomplish in such short order...Outstanding and it looks like a great time was had by all.
      Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Nice John.............from pics, that would have made your assignment in charge of photogoraphy.
        Officially I was in charge of gasket scraping. But I learned a whole lot watching these guys - the engine gets a lot less scary the more you look at the insides. Works the same way with people too.

Tod - I was building that thread in Notes over time and had not taken the FB pic then!

I have it taken apart (cosmetically) again working on cleaning, polishing and fixing things that we're not quite right (like the clock) and replacing some dash bulbs with LED equivalents to decrease load.

Got my Rox pivots moved over to these handlebars for more adjustability. Replaced those highway pegs with my favorite Buffalo brand. Fixed my loose headlight and cleaned up some wiring SNAFUs. Mounted a new weatherproof 12V outlet in the fairing. Got my extra tall windshield to put on to keep buffeting down.

I am still working on how to fix the tank cracking.

Sorry I won't make Colorado guys. But XSSE, yes I will be there.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Nice job fellas...What happened to the matching samsonite luggage? I'm just a little confused as to who is getting this bike? Yours John?
          Last edited by madmax-im; 07-07-2014, 04:38 AM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ben confused? Never!

Its mine now. Apparently the matching Samsonite luggage was blown up (twice) by Bigfoot (Harry) in some bike to bike mating rituals some time back. Russ gave me several other Samsonite cases along with one that had an original emblem on it that I will use to put together a new set of matching luggage with.

You will see it in September as I should be done getting it show ready by then no problem. I have some different brass Navy emblems on order I will use and just got some close matching gold/yellow paint this week. I am having trouble sourcing some Samsonite keyed bolts (I need 2) for the side cases as I only have 1 for the trunk. If I have to I will convert it to simple bolts - but I rode it home from KC with nothing but bungee cords holding them on so they should be good regardless as long as Harry is in the next lane

I have the gauges apart this week to replace the bulbs with LED replacements and will be on the lookout for some LED driving lights to replace the current Halogen ones as well due to current draw.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Wow-- What a beautiful piece of history! Excellent.
              79 F
              Previously owned: (among others)
              1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
              1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
              1973 Suzuki TM 125
              1979 XS1100 F
              2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
              1991 BMW K75

Comment

Hey John,

Did you see this post I added to the HID headlight thread a little while ago?

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...7&postcount=93

I posted specs and everything, even photos, they won't be quite a strong as 55Watt halogens, but close, and a whole lot less power drain!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Congratulations John...that is an amazing bike as are all of the Bob Jones Customs...Its going to be the most incredible XSSE rally ever!!! Bike mating rituals??? I dont wanna know....
                  TC those are amazing lights!!
                  Last edited by madmax-im; 07-07-2014, 09:32 PM.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi John,
                    Congratulations on a great bike. Nice write up too.
                    Looking at the pictures i realized I have met most of the participants
                    I better start making plans to see Navy Bike at XSSE.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks for the reminder TC...got some on order.

Be good to see you again MaximPhil!

John

Comment

Getting closer....out for pics after finishing touch ups of graphics and clearcoat and adding LED driving lights (thanks for the reminder TC I liked those before and would have had to search). I think the LEDs appear brighter than my darn headlight!

I used clear and Sharkhide on the Samsonite bags to darken and refresh the sunbleached bags. Those plaque emblems I ground off the hangers and epoxied.

Sharkhide on the tank helped refresh a tired clearcoat. Spendy stuff but very versatile.

Got the Sound Cycle mounted and wired too but that radio has got to be replaced. Maybe a satellite radio!

John

Comment

Lord have mercy! Where can I obtain a set of those Buffalo hwy pegs?
                          Last edited by madmax-im; 07-13-2014, 10:07 PM.
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi John,
                            Very nice. I am tempted to get some of those LED lights too.
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                              Lord have mercy! Where can I obtain a set of those Buffalo hwy pegs?

fleaBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GL1800-GL150...c28b60&vxp=mtr

John

Comment

Thanks John...they look real nice...gonna get a set of them and the LED work lights too...
                                John...if you could...I'd to see some closeups pics of the LED lights and how they mount to the engine case guards...Thanks
                                Last edited by madmax-im; 07-14-2014, 02:45 PM.
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X