No announcement yet.

Enterprise: 1981 XS1100H Bob Jones Custom aka The Navy Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mounted them to the case guard bolts - not the case guards. The side to side aiming is limited by the guard bar and probably not useable with the reinforced tribar guards.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Thankyou John...I have the 3 bar case guards...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

If you had a clamp that allowed you to bolt on top of the tribars you could mount them higher.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Hi John,
          That is a nice neat installation of the lights. in the picture it looks very close to the exhaust ? I hope that is just the angle of the photo.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
            If you had a clamp that allowed you to bolt on top of the tribars you could mount them higher.

John
            Yeah I would prefer them higher up like how TC mounted his near the headlamp...but the lights look easy to adapt for various places to mount them...I wonder if they could be mounted on the forks down by the wheel area...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
              Hi John,
              That is a nice neat installation of the lights. in the picture it looks very close to the exhaust ? I hope that is just the angle of the photo.
              Phil

No Phil its about 1 cm from the exhaust - but its an aluminum housing - the last set had a plastic housing same distance without distortion so it should be OK.

John

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                Yeah I would prefer them higher up like how TC mounted his near the headlamp...but the lights look easy to adapt for various places to mount them...I wonder if they could be mounted on the forks down by the wheel area...
                Down by the wheel would put the wiring in a constant flex situation and the fork lowers are un sprung so they would be taking the full brunt of any road shock. Bulbs would have a pretty short life.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  Down by the wheel would put the wiring in a constant flex situation and the fork lowers are un sprung so they would be taking the full brunt of any road shock. Bulbs would have a pretty short life.
                  Good thing they are LEDs!

John

Comment

LED does NOT stand for indestructible, not to mention the casings.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

John, that's looks fantastic! I didn't know they even made a clear Sharkhide, have to try some of that stuff.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I did not know they made anything BUT a clear Sharkhide.

I originally bought it to protect polished aluminum from oxidizing which is what its made for - but it says it works on other surfaces too so I tried it on areas that are kind of hidden first and it wiped on easily and shined up paint that was looking tired. Its a bit tough to keep it from being streaky - I may try a foam applicator next time.

I had found this Vivilon stuff that has been around a long time to renew clear finishes:

http://www.vivilon.com/recrepics.html

But its made out of Pure Gold - it costs $150 to $275 per QUART depending on the classic formulation or the new formulation. And I thought Sharkhide was expensive at $65 per quart!

John

Comment

You know what? I was thinking of that black stuff they use on the beds of those giant mining dump trucks. Never mind!

Say, have I mentioned how good your bike looks with the paint and bags all snazzed up along with those totally cool LED lights? Oh, well it looks great! Excellent work! <exit, stage left! --> >

-- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

John,
                            Kudos, Bro!
                            Navy bike looks great.
                            Nice work.

Dig the lights,too.
                            Bob
                            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Navy Bike

Hi John,

Very nice job on the Navy Bike. Bob would be proud. I'm sure that Mrs. Jones will like it too.

Are you planning to come to the XS Southeast rally?

Mike
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                                Hi John,

Very nice job on the Navy Bike. Bob would be proud. I'm sure that Mrs. Jones will like it too.

Are you planning to come to the XS Southeast rally?

Mike
                                Mike...I'm pretty sure thats an affirmative and bringing the navy bike
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X