Enterprise: 1981 XS1100H Bob Jones Custom aka The Navy Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enterprise: 1981 XS1100H Bob Jones Custom aka The Navy Bike

I was hoping to take better pics but time is getting away so I am posting anyway.

So Russ had acquired a couple of Bob's bikes and bought various stuff when Merriam Cycles closed including a killer bike lift (more on that later). He decided to let the bike go but "keep it in the XS family" so to speak since I knew a guy who knew a guy sort of thing.

Only issue was the starter clutch going out. Unfortunately its embedded in the center of the engine and requires splitting the cases to change. If I had to do it alone its a 2 year proposal. With the XS brain trust however all things are possible.

A plan hatched for a rally at Russ' house to help fix the Navy bike and allow me to fly in to Kansas City and ride it home to Texas. I trusted it would happen so only bought a one way ticket. My son Ryan would ride up to KC and ride back with me.

Russ and Jenny hosted us. Harry picked me up from the airport. Ryan met Greg and Doc in Oolagah, OK and they rolled up soon that Friday evening. Dan rolled down from Wisconsin.

Tod drove up in a cage full of moonshine and homemade wine. Ivan blew in from Kansas too. After dinner, we started stripping it to the frame making good progress by midnight.

Jenny cooked us up a great breakfast to counteract the moonshine hangovers and work resumed. The teardown and reassembly went well. Harry supervised.

Dan was welding the exhaust.

Tod and Greg were on the case splitting/reassembly including swapping in a starter clutch kit and installing gears for a kickstart and changing to automatic cam chain tensioner and Barnett clutch springs.

Con't....
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Ivan kept me leak free on gasket making patrol. Doc worked on brakes.

Russ changed tires and rewelded the fairing support. Even Bohn came by to watch the proceedings on a nice looking XS750. There were breaks for the heat.

By 2300 it was running, briefly, as it was loud and late, and it was not long after as we sat enjoying beers the cops arrived. Some neighbor called in a noise complaint but we were already being quiet so nothing big happened but they did comment "Nice bike"

This sign was not there but I think its apropos...

Finishing up the details on Sunday morning we set off after lunch with Ivan toward Wichita and then on to Texas. Riding 85-95 she still averaged 31.5 mpg. No issues noted. She ran strong pulling to speed easily with that big bore kit. She has full floating EBC rotors front & rear and a Nissen master cylinder, SS lines that help stop all that power.

Thanks to everyone who came because otherwise it could not have happened.

Ryan and I will be riding out to XS Southeast Rally in September so hope to join up with other Bob Jones customs. I have some things to work on, the exhaust welds are a temporary fix to get me to Texas. I need a new exhaust, prefer OEM but may have to go with a new MAC to get a nice one. I am going to try and salvage the cracking clearcoat cover on the tank graphics because recreating them would be very hard. And a new clutch cable to go with those new springs.

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Wow! This is quite a story. How long did it take to put this band together?
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Very, Very Cool! Sounds like a really good time to me. Glad to see the navy bike is getting so much needed attention.
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          Wow! This is quite a story. How long did it take to put this band together?
          Ha ha ha ha.......it doesn't take much to get us together. Offer some free booze, free food, and great company and you'll have a houseful of hungry potty mouth drunks in short order.

We spent 2 days there drinking up the booze, eating the groceries, and losing Russ' tools but in the end JW rode The Navy Bike home to San Antonio without a problem.

I'll be making the trip to XSSE with JW and Ryan this fall. I'm not coming to visit the nurses at the hospital this time. I'm bringing my own.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            I'll be making the trip to XSSE with JW and Ryan this fall. I'm not coming to visit the nurses at the hospital this time. I'm bringing my own.
            I'm glad to know you're coming back! You may help us discourage folks from following in your footsteps. The countdown to seeing all you folks again is killing me!

Tee shirt thread is up. hint hint

Anyone know what the expected attendance of Bob Jones customs is?
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

We know Mike is bringing Limie Accent....

John

Comment

+1 Marty!

John, are you going make it to Colorado for the rally?

Now it's almost time for me to go pull a '79 head out of the carb dip, clean off the rest of the corrosion and carbon and start prepping it for some paint. Bleh, reading the forum is a lot more fun.

-- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Nice John.............from pics, that would have made your assignment in charge of photogoraphy.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

You may help us discourage folks from following in your footsteps.
                    Is that a gig Marty? Am I the poster child for crash survivors?

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                    Bleh, reading the forum is a lot more fun.

That's what always happens to me when I take my laptop to the garage too.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Is that a gig Marty? Am I the poster child for crash survivors?
                      You know, if you're willing, it may not be a bad idea. We'll put you on the rally staff, and pay you the same as the rest of us.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

You know, if you're willing, it may not be a bad idea. We'll put you on the rally staff, and pay you the same as the rest of us.
                        So, how much will that cost me?
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

You can do as well as $0.00, or maybe a lot less.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Coming to Colo.............we 'll pay $$$$ for showing up.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Planning on it Brant. I think I have Bohn Frazer and XJOK2PLAY talked into coming along.

Maybe they will chime in here and call a liar or something.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X