Engine transplant success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine transplant success!

I just got home from spending 10 hrs over the last two days putting a repainted and hopped up engine into my bike. Actually, my wing-man DiverRay did all of the technical work while I played “step-and-fetchit,” and tightened nuts and bolts. The result is a 1980 XS11 Special with an over bore kit, high compression pistons, ported heads, and a racing cam. Previous work included a heavy duty clutch and the “second gear fix’ to the tranny. It will have way more power and speed than this old man will ever use, but it will give me bragging rights! The engine is painted black simi-gloss with gold bolt on parts.
    This is the first stage of a “Steam Punk” style conversion which will include getting many of the parts copper or brass plated. I am also going to experiment with gluing wood veneer to the gas tank, and Ray is interested in helping me create a custom steel tank without compound curves that will be easier to cover with wood veneer: I’m thinking walnut burl over a vaguely casket shape.
    The most successful exhibit ever held at the Guggenheim Museum was “The Art of the Motorcycle.” My bike will be my canvass. Ride on.
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

There is no reason you shouldn't be on display also while being safe with all that new giddy-up

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Ride Report.....

The Other Earl
      80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
      and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Special Parts

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
        I just got home from spending 10 hrs over the last two days putting a repainted and hopped up engine into my bike. Actually, my wing-man DiverRay did all of the technical work while I played “step-and-fetchit,” and tightened nuts and bolts. The result is a 1980 XS11 Special with an over bore kit, high compression pistons, ported heads, and a racing cam. Previous work included a heavy duty clutch and the “second gear fix’ to the tranny. It will have way more power and speed than this old man will ever use, but it will give me bragging rights! The engine is painted black simi-gloss with gold bolt on parts.
        This is the first stage of a “Steam Punk” style conversion which will include getting many of the parts copper or brass plated. I am also going to experiment with gluing wood veneer to the gas tank, and Ray is interested in helping me create a custom steel tank without compound curves that will be easier to cover with wood veneer: I’m thinking walnut burl over a vaguely casket shape.
        Thanks, The most successful exhibit ever held at the Guggenheim Museum was “The Art of the Motorcycle.” My bike will be my canvass. Ride on.
        Special Ed
        Special Ed,

Sounds like you have built quite a bit more power than Yamaha did. Do you know approx. how much HP you are now making? What compression ratio did you end up with? Looks like you will likely have to rum premium at least.

Where did you find the camshaft(s)? What CC is the engine now? Tell us more about the engine.

Thanks, Mike
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Did you install a Halon system or sprinklers?
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I don't know specifics about HP, compression, etc., but I can definitely feel the increased low end torque. I'm still breaking the engine in, so I haven't wound it up past 4500 RPM. Last year the local Ghost Mountain Riders had a portable machine to measure HP and torgue at their Biker Appreciation Day (BAD) event: if I go, and can afford it I will have it tested.
            I considered a sprinkler system LOHO, but I think I'll just purchase a mini fire extinguisher to strap on under the luggage rack. Needless to say I am very wary of gasoline leaks now!
            Special Ed
            P.S. Yes, I'll have to purchase premium gasoline now, and the gas mileage will undoubtedly go down.
            Last edited by Special Ed; 03-28-2014, 09:02 PM.

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

Hello Special Ed,
              Interesting name you have chosen for your bike as well as an interesting story. I too suffered the same type of scenario with my Special. When I bought my bike back in 1999 the previous owner had tried to start a bike that had obviously been sitting for a considerable amount of time with quick start either. The results were horrific. He was burned extensively about his face and hands that required a trip to the hospital. The bike suffered a small but damaging fire that melted the air box, wiring and scorched the tank. I spent the better part of a year rebuilding and replacing and it is still my ride today.
              As you have renamed yours The Phoenix, mine is simply called "Phoenix". Hopefully, you will enjoy your ride for many years to come as I have enjoyed mine.

Wayne
              80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
              Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Ed's frame is no longer the '79 Special he started with. He picked up an '80 that had been sitting for a long time, but was started every few months. Second gear went out shortly after he bought it, and we still had the RC Engineering engine that was a combination of two '79 bikes. The engine has an 1186cc kit, ported heads, and I think a cam. The big thing is the RC kits have a taller dome than the Weisco kits, and more HP and Torque as well. With Ed being 120 pounds wet, don't try and catch him! Even my BMW with my 240 pounds on it has a hard time keeping up, and he hasn't REALLY opened it up yet! When I did the jug/head swap, I put in new crank and rod bearings as his bottom end had about 120K on it. Until he gets about 1000 miles on it, he can't use everything that will be available.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yeah, it's amazing how more compression can wake a motor up...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have read several pieces on souped up motors and the recommendation was to romp on it once you were sure there was no metal in the crankcase. Meaning 20 minutes or so of engine time with a magnetic oil plug then an oil change to make sure there were no metal in the oil.
                    Although they were talking V-8 auto engines. I took it that the 500 mile break-in was meant to get people used to their car before driving too fast?

This should get a dialog going. Just wondering if that would apply to bikes as well?
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post

This should get a dialog going. Just wondering if that would apply to bikes as well?
                      http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Comment

Break in

We could not exactly break in the engines in the road race bikes. We would fire them up and scare all the neighbours, to be sure they would run.
                        At the track we would do a couple of laps, again to be sure everything was running properly and bolted together. Would also do plug checks. Then it was full bore. Was more cautious with the four strokes. The small two strokes had to be screamed just to get them going in first gear.
                        Biggest problem in the 70's was the published piston clearance, and variation of piston size. If we ran one thou clearance as described by the manuals, they were bound to seize. 1 1/2 thou with a good piston and no high spots might work. 2 thou and change rings often and we were off.
                        Part of the above problem was due to tuning. The bang is bigger as the fuel is leaned out. Which means more power. But the oil is also leaned out which means a possible seize.
                        The metallurgy and oils are much better these days, and the old problems all but gone.
                        Higher compression does not automatically require premium gas. Depends on the shape of the combustion chamber. My higher compression Suzuki runs on regular.
                        And for those that do not know. Increasing the bore size, increases the compression.
                        Unkle Crusty

Comment

Ed, I thought you were gonna call it "The Zippo"?
                          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Hey Phoenix Rider: thanks for the input:very nice bike. “Sparky” had a queen seat which my better half loved!
                            I went for a ride up Carmel Valley Road and up over Laurel’s Grade Road down to the entrance to Mazda Raceway on Hwy 68 this afternoon.. Beautiful scenery, and a fun ride, but we who live here pay a premium for the privilege. The bike ran strong: I love the increased torque: winding it out will definitely be fun! I haven’t really gotten into cosmetics, but it has already attracted a lot of attention. I’ll post pics as soon as I can figure out how to do it from my “flip Phone.”
                            Special Ed

Comment

Wonderful story, Ed. And a shout out for Ray, resurrecting another old bike and another old biker. Eager to see the pix.
                              1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X