First Ride of the Season . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
    You know, I've always been more of a fan of the Specials ...

But after seeing your bike, Ian, I'm starting to see more and more what great-looking bikes the Standards are! And it's making me want one!

You've achieved such a balanced look with your bike ... IMO, yellow is a hard color for a motorcycle to pull off - it has to be just the right shade.

Well, you have just such a shade ... it looks great! But I think what really makes it work is the blacked-out engine with highlights ...

Yellow and black go together very well. FWIW, it might look really cool to have that "chrome rail" on the seat painted black ... JAT

Is that rail easily removed from the seat? Anyway, very sharp-looking bike - really like the Euro-conversion!
    Thank you everyone for the compliments! Glad nobody pointed out some of the flaws you'll find if you look closer

I had different intentions with the bike in the fall-time. As the deadline closed, I abandoned the idea and painted it black based-off James England's Black Beauty. S/S SHCS's all around (not cheap), new side covers from Andreas, etc. I did this very thing with my 750 twice, using a gloss black the first time, and flat the second. With the 750, I blacked everything out, with no chrome. I wanted to mix it up this time and see how well it looked.

Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 03-21-2014, 08:25 AM.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

After looking at the pics above, it reminded me to re-bolt the seat down with the lip under the gas tank, and to re-route the gas lines.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I definitely appreciate those personal touches, bike looks great!
        Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

I think the chrome grab rail gives balance to the whole appearance.

Only thing that would add to it's already great look is one of these on each side of the tail piece:

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Names

I like the Yellow/Black/Chrome touches- it has class.

I would call it "Bumblebee".
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
            X