First Ride of the Season . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ride of the Season . . .

Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

I still don't see any of your pics.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

One pic came through-- looks real sweet.
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

Was able to chip the ice away from my garage and pull the bike out today. Got about halfway down the driveway, before I decided to pull-over and find that oil leak. I thought I found it: left-side shifter cover. Drained the oil, found some old gasket material, cleaned it, applied some Gasket stuff, put it back together, and I think that fixed that one. However, I think there is a different leak from the oil pan. I looked, and it looks like you cannot pull the pan until the exhaust is removed. I think you can pull the pan with the Mac exhaust, maybe not so with OEM.

Second issue was the clutch. The detent ball bearings were out of place when I installed the Barnett springs, so when I pulled the clutch all the way in, the clutch arm actuator popped-up. I searched for the fix on the forum and had my answer. Got that fixed.

After all of that, I left for a nice ride. Everything was very smooth. I did not want to run it too hard with an oil leak, but the tune seems very nice. I noticed a flickering of the headlight, which worried me. Ate some McDonald's for dinner and noticed the bike was a little hesitant to start. Battery?

Got home as it was starting to get cold quick. Turned the bike off, and she was not turning over. Either the battery or the R/R. I'll re-check grounds, and run some electrical tests before my next ride whenever that may be.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

All pics now. Looking good. Good luck with the few gremlins you are chasing, hopefully they will be minor to fix.
          79 F
          Previously owned: (among others)
          1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
          1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
          1973 Suzuki TM 125
          1979 XS1100 F
          2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
          1991 BMW K75

Comment

There they all came up! Looks good! Glad you got a little time on her!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Alright! Boy is that bike YELLOW. ...
              Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
                Alright! Boy is that bike YELLOW. ...
                I told you! haha. You didn't believe me.
                78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
                79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

I almost changed colors to a GM Sunburst Orange. I changed my mind after I realized how much I love that color and the attention it gets. Just hopefully not the same thieves whom stole one of my 750's in the same color.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

That's right, I forgot you live in Flint
                    Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Lookin great!
                      Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                      Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                      Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                      Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                      Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                      K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

She's a Looker !!!

Nice job on the Euro conversion Ian

What bike is your kick start lever from ?
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

It's a spare from one of my 750's.
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Very nice Ian....love the Yellow...
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You know, I've always been more of a fan of the Specials ...

But after seeing your bike, Ian, I'm starting to see more and more what great-looking bikes the Standards are! And it's making me want one!

You've achieved such a balanced look with your bike ... IMO, yellow is a hard color for a motorcycle to pull off - it has to be just the right shade.

Well, you have just such a shade ... it looks great! But I think what really makes it work is the blacked-out engine with highlights ...

Yellow and black go together very well. FWIW, it might look really cool to have that "chrome rail" on the seat painted black ... JAT

Is that rail easily removed from the seat? Anyway, very sharp-looking bike - really like the Euro-conversion!
                              Marco

Current bikes:
                              1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                              1979 Honda CBX
                              2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                              WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
                              X