very cool gadget!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very cool gadget!

i just discovered this last night and ordered one this morning, its a code reader for your car that hooks up via bluetooth to your smartphone and displays all your car's sensor data on the screen.

product . .
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-ELM327-V...item35cf4fcc1e

app . . .

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

it does 1/4 mile times 0-60 etc, plus torque and hp, coolant temp, throttle positon etc etc etc.

not sure how it would know torque and hp but i can't wait to try it out.

seems like a good buy compared to the $200 code reader from canadian tire (on sale now for $100)
    Last edited by kevxs; 02-21-2014, 02:13 PM.
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

It works well. I have had it for a few years. Most of the calculations are however estimations. The only way it can get a real measurment is if there is a specific sensor for that value.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I got one that plugs into laptop, looks like those geeks in 2Fast 2Furious, lol

and for $40 that I payed for it on Amazon, payed for itself many times over...
      Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Nate, do you have THAT one (or at least similar size) or is yours bigger?

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-...dp/B005NLQAHS/

I was looking into these a while ago, and this was the one I found to be most highly recommended. Supposedly the smaller size one is more limited or something. I prefer the smaller size of the blue one since it can be left plugged in and not stick out quite as much.

Also, supposedly a lot of these devices are clones and use an old version of the OBD interpreter code, before ELM started putting copy protection on their chips. That makes me a little less enthused about buying a clone, but I'm not so pretentious that I would not buy one of them.

http://www.elmelectronics.com/obdic.html

My newest vehicle is 1999, so I have a feeling that the old version of the code will be just fine for me.
        '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
        '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Mine is like the amazon link you have there. I have left mine plugged in without issue, it was a little in the way on my wife's manual trans Hyundai Elantra but not so much that I worried I would snap it off.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Cool, I just might have to get one and give it a try on my S10.
            '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
            '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Working...
            X