Replica badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
    Not completely true James The 3x0 and 3x1 both have the fat logo's and he is also offering these.

i think the logos can be heated a bit and then will be easier to curve them around the hump or side cover. Maybe dip them in warm water for a while and give it a try.
    never seen that one Matth. I must say, I'm not reply a fan of badges. They always get gunked up with road dirt, or chrome cleaner. Or a bit snaps off after catching on your trouser leg. Plus, some of the export version are so OTT. I'm thinking of removing them from my XJR actually , if I could find a decal that's similar. I liked the seat cowl one on the original XS1100's as it was understatement and very cool (and, yes, I'm very biased!).
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      I emailed the badge company in Australia and directed him to the forum thread re these badges... Here is the reply I received...
      Hi and thanks for the link to the forum comments re the Badge Replica badges.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there re the badges we sell and the comments reflect this.

Yes the badges are heavier as casting them is the most cost effective way to do them and keep the price reasonable.

Most of our badges have been altered to suit the mounting holes if they are fitted with pins on the rear of the badge.

Badges with holes are very difficult to alter and as such are a bit more difficult to fit.

When cast (mold is made from a NOS original) the badges are no more than 2-3% smaller not 10% as mentioned.

I have owned this business for 3 years and in that time I must say I have had 99% of satisfied customers, the unhappy customers are generally dealt with to a satisfactory result and on the rare (very rare) occasion I have refunded money for badges returned, (twice this last year)

Considering the several thousand badges I sell each year I consider this a good result.

I am always trying to improve badges where it is possible but sometimes the quantity sold does not warrant the expense.

We are trying to provide a service and a product that is no longer available and feel we are doing a good job.

If only people contacted me rather than venting on forums I might be able to help them.

Thanks again for the link as it is always good to hear what people think, good or bad.

Regards
      Cal Merlo
      Badge Replicas
      www.badgereplicas.com.au
      cal@badgereplicas.com.au
      Nice action James and nice comment. He is right about commenys on forums. These people need their feedback to do things right.

@Marty: thanks, I did not know that!
      XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
      MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
      Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
      Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
      Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
      Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Sorry to jump on this thread but I have emblem related questions.

I have a 1981 XS1100SH I'm restoring and I can't figure out what badges to use. Looking at the forum and on sites it seems to be all over the map.

As for the tank, I have the teardrop tank and there are impressions on the side of the tank that a previous owner filled in with bondo.

So my questions are:
        1. What color emblem goes on the tank, gold or silver?
        2. Is it curved? Looks like it should be?
        3. If I buy an emblem do I need to dig out the bondo? Like to avoid this.
        4. What emblem goes on the side panels? Conflicting information on this one.

I also need a good, cheap source.

Thanks
        1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
        2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Originally posted by RichV View Post
          I have a 1981 XS1100SH I'm restoring and I can't figure out what badges to use. Looking at the forum and on sites it seems to be all over the map.

As for the tank, I have the teardrop tank and there are impressions on the side of the tank that a previous owner filled in with bondo.

So my questions are:
          1. What color emblem goes on the tank, gold or silver?
          2. Is it curved? Looks like it should be?
          3. If I buy an emblem do I need to dig out the bondo? Like to avoid this.
          4. What emblem goes on the side panels? Conflicting information on this one.

I also need a good, cheap source.

Thanks
          Your XS1100SH gets gold badges. For your bike, OEM tank badges are available. Yes, they are curved. Under the filler on your tank is a mount bracket that the badge mounts to with screws. It may have been cut off by the PO before he filled it. There's only one way to find out.

Here are the badges: XS1100SH Fuel Tank #13 & #15

Side cover badges for your bike are available only on the used market or replicas. They have a check mark on them.

Replica badges will set you back about $100 for a pair. Reviews on this site say they are flat. You will have to adjust them to fit your side covers. They come from Australia and there are a few vendors in the US that distribute them.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I have one more question: has anyone used trim mounting tape to attach the emblems? I'm talking about the 3M stuff.

Also have:

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Originally posted by RichV View Post
              has anyone used trim mounting tape to attach the emblems? I'm talking about the 3M stuff.
              I may have seen the replica badge folks recommend it. The OEM plastic badges have countersunk holes in them for a screw. The OEM screws are black. You may want to cut the heads off and secure them in the holes.

Reproductiondecals.com is a US vendor for Badge Replicas in Oz. I copied what follows from their site.

Screw-on type Metal Tank Badges
              These badges are easily stolen (just a screwdriver is required!), so this method actually improves security. Affix the badge using double-sided automotive adhesive tape (available from most auto stores) or silicone glue, ensuring the tape/glue is used only in the recess on the back of the badge. One screw can be used as normal, the other should have the thread removed and the head glued (epoxy or silicone glue) to the badge.
              Sidecover Badges
              The sidecover badge fixing holes may need to be extended slightly (inwards) with a small round file. Automotive tape or silicone glue may be used to affix badges, with or without spring clips.
              Bending to Shape
              You may need to bend the metal badges to fit exactly. Be very careful to bend no more than necessary, and use finger strength only.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the great help. I think I'm going to just leave the area's filled in and use the automotive trim tape. That should make it easier. I'll make sure the holes for the tank mount are easy to locate once painted.

Also have:

Comment

Emblems

The tank emblems for the 1981H are in a league of their own. No screws, stick-on only. Probably a good fix to a tank with filled-in emblem locations. Unfortunately, I cannot find a source for them anywhere. Part numbers are
                  2H7-24161-00-00 and 2H7-24162-00-00.

Mike
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                    The tank emblems for the 1981H are in a league of their own. No screws, stick-on only. Probably a good fix to a tank with filled-in emblem locations. Unfortunately, I cannot find a source for them anywhere. Part numbers are
                    2H7-24161-00-00 and 2H7-24162-00-00.

Mike

Yamaha XJ750 Maxim, Seca and others
                    Fuel Tank Badge
                    Same as YT11, but has no screw holes

Gold/Black

YT 10
                    $47.50 USD EACH
                    including worldwide postage
                    Reproductiondecals.com
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG