Replica badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replica badges

Here's the man for replica badges..made of metal. I bought a rear seat cowl badge for my XS11.;, metal with real gold plating. Much better quality than OEM actually.

http://www.badgereplicas.com.au/badges_yamaha.htm
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

James,

A friend of mine bought badges for his XS-2. He had to send them back as there was no way to make them fit.

I have heard others say they are flat and have to be bent to conform to the side cover or tank. I also understand they are shrunk 10% from the originals and the mount holes do not line up. What was your take on it?

I have new OEM badges to go on my tank. I was considering leaving the side covers badgeless.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

BBookmarked that site. Thanks James.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The Australian badges are distributed by some vendors in the US.

Diablo Cycle
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          James,

A friend of mine bought badges for his XS-2. He had to send them back as there was no way to make them fit.

I have heard others say they are flat and have to be bent to conform to the side cover or tank. I also understand they are shrunk 10% from the originals and the mount holes do not line up. What was your take on it?

I have new OEM badges to go on my tank. I was considering leaving the side covers badgeless.
          the European XS only has one badge..on the rear seat cowling. The others are under the lacquer decals. So I only bought the seat cowl badge. It was exactly the same size as OEM. However, it was flat. I bent it very slightly, without any problems to the plating and the two mounting prongs lined up fine. Having paid about $40 for it though, I used double sided sticky tape and also small circular grip washers on the little prongs.

Bending might be an issue if the side panels are very curved though. The badges are die-cast metal, then electroplated. I suppose a drastic bend might crack the plating though! Maybe ask them about it?
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I would not recommend them at all. Bought a couple for my Special, they were flat and did not match the curve of the sidecover. Also the lugs did not fit the holes in the sidecover properly. I tried to gently bend one of the badges to suit the curve of the sidecover and it snapped in two! I was getting pretty angry by this stage and contacted the supplier who in fairness sent me another one. Ended up buying an original one off ebay. The metal ones are still in the shed wallowing in disgrace.
            It's true these badges look good, they are nicely finished. On the other hand they are very heavy for the size of them. Much, much heavier than the actual sidecovers onto which they go.
            79 SF
            Honda KO 750
            Honda K2 750 Bobber in progress
            Moto Guzzi 1000cc mongrel custom
            HD FXST 2008
            Bonneville SE 2010 (wifeys)

Comment

James,

Hi Marty,

You are correct in what you have heard about the badges. The tank emblem mounting holes do not line up with existing tank holes. They can be made to work, but you have to drill and tap one new hole in the mounting bracket on the tank on both sides. Side cover emblems have to be bent ever so slightly to fit. Must be careful as they are easy to break. The emblems are metal and much heavier than stock. They are also quite expensive and take a while to obtain them sometimes. Not a whole lot of options other than finding them on Ebay on occasion.

The link that I have used in the past is as follows and I am pretty sure it is the same people as James is referring to:

http://www.kz900.com/
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

James,

I also understand they are shrunk 10% from the originals and the mount holes do not line up. What was your take on it?
                TRUE, Marty. I installed them on mine. They are very nice, but slightly smaller and I needed to drill / tap one end of the mounting flange on the tank. It was a nitroglycerin moment to say the least.
                Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Well, that bottoms that one out! All useful info. Looks like I'll be buying only seat cowl badges from them!

Glad everyone posted. Very handy to know for the future.....

Comment

Emblems

Originally posted by James England View Post
                    Well, that bottoms that one out! All useful info. Looks like I'll be buying only seat cowl badges from them!

Glad everyone posted. Very handy to know for the future.....
                    James, their badges obviously are not an exact fit, but are usable - especially considering that there are not a whole lot of choices. Seems like they could adjust a few things in production/manufacturing and have a real winner. If it was my company, I would see to it that they were corrected to fit.

Mike
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                      the European XS only has one badge..on the rear seat cowling. The others are under the lacquer decals. So I only bought the seat cowl badge. It was exactly the same size as OEM. However, it was flat. I bent it very slightly, without any problems to the plating and the two mounting prongs lined up fine. Having paid about $40 for it though, I used double sided sticky tape and also small circular grip washers on the little prongs.

Bending might be an issue if the side panels are very curved though. The badges are die-cast metal, then electroplated. I suppose a drastic bend might crack the plating though! Maybe ask them about it?
                      Not completely true James The 3x0 and 3x1 both have the fat logo's and he is also offering these.

i think the logos can be heated a bit and then will be easier to curve them around the hump or side cover. Maybe dip them in warm water for a while and give it a try.
                      XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                      MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                      Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                      Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                      Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                      Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

For that kind of money, I want badges that fit.

New OEM tank badges are available for the SG and SH. They will fit the SF. The cost is far less than the reproductions.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

I got the side cover replicas from the Canadian Diablo cycle ended up they came from an Australian company took more than 2 months to come in. They were flat but I used soft cloth and shims to slowly bend them in a vice to have the cupping to fit the side covers. Took about 2 hours being slow and carfull to get them right. They fit the holes but I still put some 2 sided tape on the edges so they would not slide around and for sure I did not want to loose one on the road. Actually originally mine had a thin rubber backing on the side cover badges. The replicas are much heavier than the plastic. If there was a difference in size I could not see it. For the gas tank I got 2 original Yamaha part number plastic badges from a Yamaha shop on EBAY selling old stock. The tank badges where not cupped perfect but when the screws tightened down they fit perfect. I do have the standard model which is different from the special and that is where I had been told there was a difference as far as holes lining up.
                          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                          1980 G Silverbird
                          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                          1198 Overbore kit
                          Grizzly 660 ACCT
                          Barnett Clutch Springs
                          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                          122.5 Main Jets
                          ACCT Mod
                          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                          Antivibe Bar ends
                          Rear trunk add-on
                          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

These are chrome instead of gold but for $4.04 each who really cares? And, the screw holes match perfectly.

They are actually for a golf cart and are flat but with a little heat (on the back ) they can be formed and fit just fine.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...161-01-00.html

This is what they look like on the tank......

Last edited by BA80; 02-12-2014, 06:56 PM.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Emailed Oz

I emailed the badge company in Australia and directed him to the forum thread re these badges... Here is the reply I received...

Hi and thanks for the link to the forum comments re the Badge Replica badges.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there re the badges we sell and the comments reflect this.

Yes the badges are heavier as casting them is the most cost effective way to do them and keep the price reasonable.

Most of our badges have been altered to suit the mounting holes if they are fitted with pins on the rear of the badge.

Badges with holes are very difficult to alter and as such are a bit more difficult to fit.

When cast (mold is made from a NOS original) the badges are no more than 2-3% smaller not 10% as mentioned.

I have owned this business for 3 years and in that time I must say I have had 99% of satisfied customers, the unhappy customers are generally dealt with to a satisfactory result and on the rare (very rare) occasion I have refunded money for badges returned, (twice this last year)

Considering the several thousand badges I sell each year I consider this a good result.

I am always trying to improve badges where it is possible but sometimes the quantity sold does not warrant the expense.

We are trying to provide a service and a product that is no longer available and feel we are doing a good job.

If only people contacted me rather than venting on forums I might be able to help them.

Thanks again for the link as it is always good to hear what people think, good or bad.

Regards
                              Cal Merlo
                              Badge Replicas
                              www.badgereplicas.com.au
                              cal@badgereplicas.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X