Opinions please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TomB View Post
    James may have lost a bike he wanted to keep dignity and honour.
    A worthy loss then.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

James,

IMHO, you handled the situation just as you should have. Politely tell him not to contact you, and not have any

further dealings with him in the future. After all, as others here have said, who knows what else he lied about or

didn't tell you just to get your money. Better to let it go; in time another one will come your way, I'm sure!
      Last edited by Prisoner6; 02-05-2014, 03:51 PM.
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Indeed I too am old school...where honor and reputation take precedence...I am in the process of paying off a car i bought from my neighbor/mechanic. We made a deal and a deposit was made...We also agreed to terms for monthly payments. I have 2 months left and everytime the payment is due...i am there.He made a comment that very few people follow through on their word...in his dealings..so he was impressed that I have been true to my word...younger generation has lost the ethical teachings of integrity,,,honor and honoring your name...sad indeed...Well since the majority of us are old school it isnt surprising to find people here who have that charatcer that seems to be lacking out there in the mainstream world...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I'm young, but had "old school" beat into me with a belt, dial bar of soap after an oil change, and a size 12 Sperry docksider worn by my dad, lol. No worries, some of us were raised right by the baby boomers.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Update

Originally posted by James England View Post
            A worthy loss then.
            The eBay seller who agreed to sell me his bike then reneged on it, hoping to get more for it on eBay (whilst trying to keep his options open with me) ended up cancelling the auction at the last minute today since it didn't even reach what I offered. So, not only did he renege on a deal with me, he also wasted a lot of interested parties' time and bids on eBay..hardly the spirit of an auction and a poor show.

Needless to say, I won't be contacting him about it. No bike is worth that...
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

on the other hand ....

not meaning to stir up the pot, so to speak, but is it the bike's fault it's current owner is a spineless shmutz? Maybe the XS11 deserves a better owner. I mean, all this posturing over the character defects of the current owner doesn't help the XS11 live a longer, healthier life in a more loving environment, does it?

FREE THE BIKE, BRO! (lol)
              Mike Farrington
              Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
              Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by mfarrington View Post
                not meaning to stir up the pot, so to speak, but is it the bike's fault it's current owner is a spineless shmutz? Maybe the XS11 deserves a better owner. I mean, all this posturing over the character defects of the current owner doesn't help the XS11 live a longer, healthier life in a more loving environment, does it?

Interesting way to look at it
                XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Legally speaking you had a binding contract. Pretty iron clad that it was by email. The other party repudiated your contract leaving you free to sue or walk away. Douchebaggery is on the rise.

I don't think you need good behaviour "Beat into you". I think you can learn it many ways including having parents who are horrible, leaving you wanting to be treated better and consequently treating others how you would like to be treated.
                  Living to EXcess.
                  1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
                  Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
                  1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by mfarrington View Post

No, it's not the bike's fault, BUT ...

If this seller treats potential buyers the way James has indicated, then you absolutely must question the

condition of the bike, i.e. is the seller being truthful about it's condition. If not, then James could be getting more

trouble than he bargained for, and it could potentially end up costing him a lot more $ in the long run.

So, I still believe it's best to let this one go ... JMHO
                    Last edited by Prisoner6; 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM.
                    Marco

Current bikes:
                    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                    1979 Honda CBX
                    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Well, I'd be buying it unseen and having it collected. The seller says no 2nd great problems, good engine etc but anyone that dishonourable is probably lying about that anyway. I did notice from questions and answers on the listing that someone wanted to look at the bike and the seller then started saying it hasn't been started for a very long time, engine "very cold" and all sorts of other things which gave me the impression that it probably won't start or run properly.

No..better off leaving him to it.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                        ...better off leaving him to it.
                        Good call, James.
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

James, you did the right thing. Anyone who arranges a deal then backs out due to greed should not be trusted or accomodated.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I think you definitely did the right thing James but i do like XS11LOVER's idea on letting him continue the auction then low balling him after he ends it. i just saw a gray 79 SF with 2nd missing here in the panhandle of Florida. Wouldn't be one in the same would it?
                            79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by southgarebelec05 View Post
                              I think you definitely did the right thing James but i do like XS11LOVER's idea on letting him continue the auction then low balling him after he ends it. i just saw a gray 79 SF with 2nd missing here in the panhandle of Florida. Wouldn't be one in the same would it?
                              No. I live in England and the bike is this side of the pond........

Comment

Last spring my dad told me he was selling his old work car. Little crappy 92 Plymouth Colt but it runs great and gets 35 mpg. I wanted to get it so I could stop driving my 10mpg Chevy truck everywhere however I had just started a new job and didn't have an extra $500 laying around to buy it. I gave him my word that if he held it for 5 weeks I would get it.

3 weeks later and I was again jobless. Instead of going back on my word I sold my truck (which I loved) so I could follow through on it. I'm sure it wouldn't have been a big deal for him to wait a while longer but when I give my word its a guarantee. I expect the same out of everyone I deal with, even anonymous sellers on eBay.
                                Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                                Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                                Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                                Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                                Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                                K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                                81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                                X