Opinions please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please!

What do people think of this? Yesterday, I contacted someone about buying their XS1100. It would have been a good restoration project (as long as my XJR 'wife' didn't notice). We agreed a fair price and the seller said "we have a deal" (all done by email). Then, once I'd got into gear to have the bike collected by a bike delivery man I use and asked what payment method he wanted, the 'seller' said that perhaps he'd been a bit hasty because his auction had lots of watchers. So, he'd decided to leave it on the auction but would "offer it to me again" if the auction didn't do very well (and which presumably he'd cancel at the last minute, therefore disappointing the bidders and abusing the ethics of the auction). I was pretty disgusted and said not to bother contacting me. What would others have done? Am I being old-fashioned? Is a deal a deal? Or do people think its acceptable to back out after agreeing a deal?
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

I think you're being old fashioned, it seems to happen more and more these days. I 'spose he had the decency to email back and tell you he'd got cold feet on the deal so you didn't waste money on a collection van/man.

He played his hand telling you he'd see how the bidding went and decide whether to let you have it, if I was you I'd have let the bidding play out and if the bidding was less than your agreed deal I'd have dropped my offer, after all it was the way he wanted to play it.

I'm of the same opinion as you, a deal is a deal, but then I'm old fashioned too.
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

obviously not a man of his word...people these days don't say what they mean or mean what they say...I would have told him to stick it where the sun don't shine...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        obviously not a man of his word...people these days don't say what they mean or mean what they say...I would have told him to stick it where the sun don't shine...
        Yes. I kind of did that, politely.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Well James, welcome to the post Gordon Geco world. "Greed is good" and it is run amuck IMHO. Real men are few and far between. The kind of folks who put honor and personal reputation above monetary value. Where a hand shake is more binding than any written paper.

I am of the opinion you should force the man to live up to his written agreement. You have an email accepting the offer, that is a written contract. Then again, your laws on that side of the pond may differ.

But yes, I to would have informed such an unscrupulous person that I no longer wanted to be involved in any dealings with them. After all, if he will back out of an agreement for money, what lies has he told you to get the sale? What is really under the covers of that bike that he figures you will not see until it locks up on your ride home? Better to not do business with that sort IMO.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

+1 Took the words right out of my mouth Don. Well said!
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

James a man like this needs a lesson. I actually had a simular situation several years ago over a compressor I was buying for my father. I said sure call me after the auction I may even be able to spring for a few extra bucks cause I really want it. I then strung him as far along as far as possible and offered less than I did before. After 3 days he called and said ok. I then told him I never had any intention of buying from him because of the way he did in the begining.

I've seen people like this have people drive 100's of miles in rented trucks to pick up stuff and find they sold it to someone while the other person was in route.

I feel you are a man of morals James and this goes against your belief but ethics are so often ignored these days that unless a man is taught a lesson that cost him real money he learns nothing.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                - - - Yesterday, I contacted someone about buying their XS1100. - - -
                Hi James,
                the guy's word can't be trusted so you are well out of the deal.
                Who knows what undisclosed condition or ownership problems there could be?
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

comment on bike deal

It did not cost you any money to find out that the person you were dealing with is a person not to be trusted. Walk away and look for another deal. Life has a way of getting even with those that choose greed over integrity. Be the man you know you are and let the karma take care of buddy...

Comment

Life's too short to let this "New Fashioned Jerk" rent space in your head.

James, IMHO, by ending the transaction in a polite, "Old Fashioned", manner you've kept your dignity and honor. Good on you

Live and let live.
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Dignity and honour? hmmm

Dunno if you have the saying "biting your nose off to spite your face"

James may have lost a bike he wanted to keep dignity and honour.

I'm on the fence on this one.
                      Tom
                      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                        Dignity and honour? hmmm

Biting his nose off wouldn't have yielded, James, the bike either.
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                          Dignity and honour? hmmm

And that, Tom, is exactly the response that leads to the continuation of these types of tactics. One person chooses greed over ethics, the next person says well lets not loose out on a good deal over a little thing like ethics, and s on, and so on.

Yes, I know it is a bit pie in the sky thinking to suggest the world will ever be Andy Griffith and Leave it to Beaver again. But, for me at least, I hope to infect the world with decency one person at a time, by simply living it. And for me, that means losing out on a "deal" in the name of virtue and ethics from time to time. But my eternal life means more to me than this one.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm as old fashioned as James and understand his stance, I was simply raising the question that he may have lost the bike for the sake of playing along with the seller. I would have played the sellers game, you can still tell him where to shove it at the end of play.

Clearly James wasn't that bothered about buying the bike which allowed him to walk away, using a cool head not his heart is good.
                            Tom

Comment

The prom

Kind of sounds like "I'll go to the prom with you if nobody else asks" lol So the only fitting reply would have been "if you put out".....I'd have offered him less $ for being a jerk.
                              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                              79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                              X