Accessory Battery Question for Vehicle Mounted Ham Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessory Battery Question for Vehicle Mounted Ham Radios

I will be installing a few different HAM radios and other related gear in my pickup. What I want to do is mount a separate battery that everything will be connected too. I want the separate battery to charge off the vehicle alternator but then I want it to be disconnected from the vehicle system when the key is off so that I can still use the equipment and not run the vehicle battery down.

1) I was thinking a deep cycle battery would be best for this situation but have heard that you shouldn't charge deep cycles at that high of a charge rate from a vehicle alternator, but I get a lot of contradictory opinions here.

2) What would be the best way to wire it in? Would a battery isolator be enough?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Nate- With your LEO background, you should talk to your motor pool and see what kind of higher-output alternator is available for your truck. I'd suggest that over an additional battery.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Optima Yellow tops are kind of a mix deep cycle and starting battery. I use one as a main battery in my truck, but its more tolerant of deep discharge if worklights or winch is used.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        Hey Nate- With your LEO background, you should talk to your motor pool and see what kind of higher-output alternator is available for your truck. I'd suggest that over an additional battery.
        Not currently affiliated, I move to frequently these last few years. Plus the benefit of a second battery is that I DO NOT have to keep the vehicle running all the time.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

my sailboat had a Perko 8503DP battery switch. that hooked up to both batteries I could use both for starting or 1 for starting and running the engine and the other for all the lights and stuff when running the switch was on both for charging when stopped the switch was in the #2 position the batteries i used were from Canadian Tire Nautilus Group 27 Starting and Deep Cycle Battery specs 730 marine cranking amps, 100 amp hours, reserve capacity of 160 minutes, which were about the same price as a car battery, which did well for me . how many radios and how much of a draw are they all together. transmit should be the big draw and you probably wont be talking more than listening right you just need to remember to switch things over
          Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
          Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
          and SOXS
          2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Set it up the same way a motorhome dual battery system is; the secondary battery is only connected to the chassis electrical system when the ignition key is on. Connect all the radio gear to the secondary battery only. You'll need a high-amp-rated relay for the connection to the chassis electrical, power the relay off the ignition circuit.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              Set it up the same way a motorhome dual battery system is; the secondary battery is only connected to the chassis electrical system when the ignition key is on. Connect all the radio gear to the secondary battery only. You'll need a high-amp-rated relay for the connection to the chassis electrical, power the relay off the ignition circuit.
              Hmmmmmm, that's going to be an expensive relay!

I kinda like the boat switch idea.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                Hmmmmmm, that's going to be an expensive relay!.
                Doesn't have to be..... McMaster-Carr has a 50A continuous/150A inrush one for under $11, or a 100A continuous for about $25. And I've used the older (56-70s) Ford 'starter solenoid' relay to do this on a couple of vehicles with no issues and those are only about $20 at any parts house. Is the marine boat switch that cheap?....
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Battery Isolators

The device/tool made to do what you are trying to do has been available for quite some time. It is called a battery isolator. Been used in all emergency/police vehicles for a while. They can be had from various manufacturers and different amperage ratings. It allows both batteries to be charged by the alternator, but the first battery is protected from drain by the sceond (accessory) battery. You can have as many accessory batteries as you want. Once installed, you do not have to manually switch anything on or off. It is automatic.

One example here:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=379959_0_0_

Another example here:

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetai...tery+isolators
                  Last edited by MPittma100; 01-27-2014, 05:15 PM.
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                    The device/tool made to do what you are trying to do has been available for quite some time. It is called a battery isolator. Been used in all emergency/police vehicles for a while. They can be had from various manufacturers and different amperage ratings. It allows both batteries to be charged by the alternator, but the first battery is protected from drain by the sceond (accessory) battery. You can have as many accessory batteries as you want. Once installed, you do not have to manually switch anything on or off. It is automatic.

One example here:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=379959_0_0_

Another example here:

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetai...tery+isolators
                    My second question was asking about the battery isolator.

Steve, the switches are in the $15-$30 range as well.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      Doesn't have to be..... McMaster-Carr has a 50A continuous/150A inrush one for under $11, or a 100A continuous for about $25. And I've used the older (56-70s) Ford 'starter solenoid' relay to do this on a couple of vehicles with no issues and those are only about $20 at any parts house. Is the marine boat switch that cheap?....
                      Hi Steve If it says Marine and has a picture of a boat anchor it is atleast $50 plus the cost of the part Actually i think the made in china switch is about $30 and makes sense on a boat but I like your set up better for a vehicle.
                      Engine running aux. battery is charging. Key off Radios are not discharging the motor battery. Never have to say I'm...... Oh ****
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I have had dual batteries and a isolator in my pickup for years with no failures. Isolator is automatic, no switches and pretty easy to wire in. You didn't say how old your truck is. I was able to get 2 grp24 batts to fit on the stock battery tray by turning them sideways and fabing a new hold down. 2nd batt runs aux lights and at one time my camper. It is a deep cycle. Can run the aux batt dead but still start the truck. Isolator will charge main battery first then charge aux batt.
                        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                        X