hplv paint guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That cheap dryer will work.

No matter what type of compressor you have water condensation is an issue. Compression and expansion (especially rapid expansion) causes water to condense. That is why tools that have high volume needs it is suggested you have a dryer on it.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The filter picks out the oil, the dryer takes out the moisture that condenses out of the air. The compression drives the moisture out, when the air pressure is reduced it could reabsorb the moisture, but typically that's after the moisture got into the tool or paint etc.

The $8 dryer would put you ahead of what I use, which is none.. If your only using it when you paint, and only use the compressor every now and then, it should do fine for you. Just check the state of the desiccant before you go painting after you have used it for a year or so.
      Last edited by DGXSER; 12-03-2013, 05:53 AM.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I'll be using the gasoline one first I would say and I know it has oil ( in the compressor anyway).
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Sorry, getting my doodads and thingies mixed up there, the bit of kit I got from work was a combined filter and dryer and dopey was mixing the two up DOH!

At work we run oil free compressors for instrument air, plays havoc with your air tools, for that we have oilers, bloody hope I don't get them mixed up.
          Tom
          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Just a word of warning if you're going to move up from rattle cans to pro mixed paints, cheap gun is fine, cheap compressor is fine as well...spend the money on your protective mask. The paint and reducer chems are very nasty, and it doesn't take a lot of exposure to wind up opening a big can of "mess-u-up" fast.
            81 H "Traumaha"
            06 KLR 650
            06 Katana 600 (Sold)
            05 Star 1100 (Sold)
            78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
            79 RD400 (Stolen)
            78 KE175
            Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
              Just a word of warning if you're going to move up from rattle cans to pro mixed paints, cheap gun is fine, cheap compressor is fine as well...spend the money on your protective mask. The paint and reducer chems are very nasty, and it doesn't take a lot of exposure to wind up opening a big can of "mess-u-up" fast.
              Hi Garagamus,
              me too with that.
              Even a cheap gun paints better than the average amateur.
              Cheap compressor is OK except DON'T buy a direct drive oil free one.
              In the brief time before it self-destructs the high noise level will be a real annoyance.
              Check pawnshops or Kijiji for used belt drive cast iron oil using compressor unit instead.
              And YES, breathing that sh1t will rip your lungs out on it's way to destroying your innards.
              Check out a modern paint booth. The painters are all wearing hazmat suits and breathing through remote-air-feed masks.
              Last edited by fredintoon; 12-06-2013, 09:27 AM.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I will definitely agree on the respirator. I am using one from HF, but it works fine.

Even in the world of automotive paints, low VOC is catching on. They are less toxic than they used to be, but still the respirator is needed. I had a close friend who was taken by cancer at 36, he fought it for 11 years, got it at 25 years young. He always swore it was from all the auto painting he did with no protection.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                X