hplv paint guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hplv paint guns

I am wanting to buy a paint gun and have no idea what to look for. I saw some at tractor supply ranging from $99-$29. Also they have a job smart set of 3 for $49. I want to use it to practice on stuff and then paint my motorcycles. Anyone know what to look for? Thanks
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

As usual, the more you spend the better the sprayer.

That said. If it is not a profession, no sense to go overboard. The cheap ones like that spray good but at that price they are more a throw away gun. Parts are hard to come buy and usually cost as much or more than the gun if you find them.

If you want to shoot metal flake you need to be able to get different nozzles for it so that you can get one large enough for the flake.

Other than that just make sure you have a regulator and a dryer on your air line.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks nate. I know nothing about painting but I want to learn. I actually painted my xs750 orange with a rattle can and everyone loves it. I want to get a gun and practice so I can paint my bikes and whatever else. oh, the 3 gun set for $49 has a regulator in it too. I didn't see a dryer, don't even know what they look like but I will look next time. thanks
      Jeff

Comment

Hey Jeff,

I got the two gun set from Harbor Freight for about $50. I'm not going to say it is truly professional grade equipment, but it is what I used on Ruby and the Katana (for clear only on the Katana, color was rattlecan from Autozone). Like any new gun takes some adjustments to get the spray where you want it, but the guns did a good job for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-94572.html

Here are the options at HF for a dryer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ssed+air+dryer

These are simple desiccant dryers. If your looking to go professional level, you can buy electrically powered refrigerant driven dryers that actually cool the air down to pull the moisture out then use it as condenser air to warm it back up. VERY pricey and overkill for what your looking to do IMO.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks a lot don, I may get that 2 gun set. Would I need the more expensive dryer or would the $7.99 be all I need?
          Jeff

Comment

I'm wanting to try spraying as well, I powdercoat everything at the moment and thought of having a go at a tank but I really need one with no dents as dent fillers don't powder coat so well.

The last bike's panels I painted I did with rattle can and found it Ok as long as I got lots of coats on and cut it back, to cut it back I started with wetted 1200 grade wet+dry paper, then cutting compound, lots of work but it looks great now.

So I figured as long as I can get lots on I'm Ok, not the way a professional would do it I know, too time consuming, but Ok occasionally.

It was Crazy Steve who steered me towards with the guns but unfortunately when the XS11.com server crashed a few months ago I lost all the info.

Steve, if you have time please could you post the info here again?
            Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Its completely up to the level of quality and longevity your after as to what you need to buy. Honestly, I do not even use a filter or dryer. I have been happy with the quality I get from that, but my compressor is oil less. Its a total system, so everything form how dirty the local air is, to the compressor your using, and the line cleanliness all add up to what comes out the gun.

IMO, for what your looking to do, personal use only paint projects, and not show quality, or for hire (professional level) work, I would get the HF filter/dryer and put it in line.

Keep in mind, that those devices cause a pressure drop, so you will need to have a regulator of some type downstream of them to make sure your getting the pressure you need at the gun.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

The HF HVLP guns that Don linked to are what I have and after several years use, I'm very, very pleased with them. A semi-pro buddy of mine tried mine and was impressed. For painting bikes, the smaller 'detail' gun in this set is perfect as long as you're not shooting metalflake; the larger full-size one will be too big for everything else except shooting primer. Make sure you thoroughly clean it after each use as getting repair parts is nearly impossible, but what do you want for $50? I partially disassemble mine and wash it in lacquer thinner or xylene until I've got it as clean as possible, then reassemble and spray more cleaner through it until it shows clear.

I installed a mini-regulator right at the gun and run mine right around 25 psi.

Tom, IIRC what I linked to for you was comparable guns available 'over there', with emphasis on guns that had a better range of tip sizes available. And I think these guns were slightly larger than the HF unit, but still not a 'full size' gun. The automotive guns put down too much paint too quickly for painting the smaller bike parts and it's hard to avoid runs.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

For you guys just learning this as I have been over the past year or so, I found a lot of help by watching youtube videos.

In particular is DIYAutoschool, or SWRNC. The guy is a bit of a nutter, and you have to deal with his "colorful" language and descriptions at times. But he really seems to know what he is doing. I followed a lot of his tips and techniques to get the results I have achieved.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

I think the type of guns you recommended were like these Steve.

0.8mm and 1.3mm? do they sound like the right size tips?

I'll have a look at the videos, I need help.
                    TIA
                    Tom
                    Tom
                    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

Tom, that's essentially the same setup. Slightly smaller tip on the detail gun so it will shoot a bit less paint, but should work fine. Comes with a regulator, nice bonus!

Once you figure one out, you'll never go back to rattlecan for finish work.
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                        I am wanting to buy a paint gun and have no idea what to look for. I saw some at tractor supply ranging from $99-$29. Also they have a job smart set of 3 for $49. I want to use it to practice on stuff and then paint my motorcycles. Anyone know what to look for? Thanks
                        Hi Jeff,
                        first, check your compressor's CFM number against the paint gun's air consumption number.
                        You may find yourself in paint a bit then wait a bit territory if the paint gun needs more air than the compressor puts out.
                        Even when you use a reducer to drop the compressor's ~120 psi tank pressure down to the ~50 psi that most paint guns work best at you will eventually run out of air if the compressor can't keep up.
                        Which will be OK so long as you expect it.
                        And fear not, even a low cost paint gun works better than the average amateur's ability to use it.
                        So long as you do a total teardown and solvent-clean immediately after each time you put paint through it.
                        What I reckon is, if it looks good from 6 feet away, it's good enough.
                        Last edited by fredintoon; 12-02-2013, 02:26 PM.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for the info lads, hope it helped you as much as it did me Jeff, kinda stole your thread there.

Now to add one of them sets to my xmas wish list ....well they always complain they don't know what to buy me.
                          Tom

Comment

That's cool tom, your posts helped me too. My air compressor is one of those dewault wheel barrow types with the 2 tanks and gas engine. I am swapping it with my dad for his electric for a while cause he needs the portable one. His electric is huge, like for a shop. I appreciate all your guys comments and the you tube hint too don. Thanks guys, that is also my Christmas present. Don, would that cheap $8 dryer work?
                            Jeff

Comment

Check whether you need a dryer Jeff, some electric compressors are oil free, generally the smaller ones though.

I scrounged a dryer from work coz my electric compressor is oily.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X