ignition pick up coil gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition pick up coil gap

does anyone out there know what the gap between the pick up coils and the roter are supposed to be on a 79 special? also what is the corect way to mesure it?
    any help would be great!!
    thanks!

Pickup Coil Clearance

Tony, I have never seen it written anywhere but when I did mine I used; .004" to .006". And it worked fine. I used a brass feeler guage that I had laying around from an old English car tool kit.
    I would think the closer the better as long as they do not have any physical contact.
    Hope this helps. Maybe someone out there has found it written down and give you the "Official" setting.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

I ran into the same thing quite a while back.The information I got was .020 gap between the relutor to pickup coil gap.Hard to gap but I have it set as close as I can and not touch.Hope this helps.
      Bill Harvell

Comment

Pick up Gap

I posted a lengthy article from Meriam Cycles regarding this a while back but can't find the post now. Setting the gap as close as possible without touching is best. Recommend .004 to .006 as suggested before. They (Meriam cycles) said they had cured several problems from not starting to poor running with this fix.
        Sorry I couldn't find the article. HTH
        Unless you are the lead sled dog the view never changes.

Comment

great!! thanks for all the help!!

Comment

Working...
          X