JB Weld on gastank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB Weld on gastank?

Bought this Honda civic cage to save gas on my commute and now I find the gas tank has a leak on its bottom side. How well would JB weld work to plug a hole
    about 2/3rds the size of a dime?
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Temp repair until you can fix it right by replacing it.

Gas tanks are usually easy to remove and replace if empty.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Temporary is what I'm looking for... definitely not a permanent solution...Getting all the gas out of it before attempting to patch tank...won't take it out...too much rust...Thanks John
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        Bought this Honda civic cage to save gas on my commute and now I find the gas tank has a leak on its bottom side. How well would JB weld work to plug a hole
        about 2/3rds the size of a dime?
        Hi Madmax,
        JB weld by itself might fall out from vibration from that large of a hole.
        Here is a bodge.
        Get a wallboard anchor, the sort that has 2 little legs you poke through a hole and they spring out inside then you do up the screw to tighten it.
        And a fender washer.
        Put the fender washer on the wallboard anchor.
        Slather the side of the fender washer that will face the tank with JBweld.
        Shove the fastener legs through the hole and let them spring out inside the tank.
        Tighten the anchor screw so the washer tightens onto the tank and the JBweld squishes out.
        Let the JBweld set up before you put gas in.
        Should hold OK until the rest of the tank rots out.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Better still, your local auto parts store may have some purpose made putty to fix that leak.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

JB Weld turns into mush from gas exposure! The auto parts store has specific products. Ive used this with success but the area needing repair must be dry!

nail hole filler image

Seal-All® —

Gas & Oil-Resistant Adhesive

The contact adhesive and sealant that's the Mechanic's Choice. Seal-all adheres with superior strength to all substrates and materials except paper, cardboard and Styrofoam™. In a class of its own, the "repair-kit-in-a- tube” is ideal for automotive and garage repairs. Available in 2.0 and 1.0 fl oz carded packaging.

• Practical: Seal-All is resistant to gasoline, oil, paint thinner, and most solvents.
            Seal-All is also water resistant immediately upon application.
            • Thin Formula: Seal-All is a thin adhesive.
            • Quick Dry: Perfect for all your craft needs. Sets in 2-3 minutes.
            Fully cures in 2-6 hours.
            • Waterproof: Use to decorate craft projects in and around water.
            • Paintable: Paint over for UV-resistance.

Comment

Interesting fix Fred...I. will want something that is resistant to gas and other solvents...so my question about jb weld was bourne from ignorance. Thanks for all the replies folks...will be heading to the autoparts place tmrw.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

+ 1 on seal-all. Good stuff for fuel leaks.
                79 F
                Previously owned: (among others)
                1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                1973 Suzuki TM 125
                1979 XS1100 F
                2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                1991 BMW K75

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARGO-QUIKST...-/170699425913

Scroll down and read everything it's good for. I've used this stuff for years. Any auto parts store or Walmart carries it. I've used it under oily conditions out in the middle of nowhere when I punched a hole into my crankcase on the dirtbike. That was 2 years ago and it's never leaked. I've punched a small hole in the bottom of my fiberglass boat on a sharp rock and dove down to install it in the hole under water. Years later, it still never leaked a drop. You won't have to drain your gas tank and it'll be a permanent fix. Even with the gas dripping, knead it together like Playdough for a couple minutes, then smear some into the hole, then build a quarter sized patch around it.

I thought about trying to use it on a broken float post. Seems impervious to about everything that I've thrown at it. I try to always carry some in my tool bag on trips. Maybe next time we'll try it on Greg's ribs?
                  Last edited by trbig; 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM.
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks Tod..sounds like that's just what I'd want
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

ebay price with shipping is a ripoff...but locally at Advaned Auto its 6 bucks...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Interesting fix Fred...I. will want something that is resistant to gas and other solvents...so my question about jb weld was bourne from ignorance. Thanks for all the replies folks...will be heading to the autoparts place tmrw.
                        Hi Max,
                        If JBweld don't stand up to gas by all means use a better suited compound as a sealant but stop by the builder's supply store
                        on your way to buy that better class of goop because I reckon you still need the wallboard anchor and fender washer
                        What I'm worried about is the size of the hole you are trying to fix.
                        A hole "3/4 the size of a dime" is just over a half-inch in diameter.
                        An unsupported blob, even of stuff that gas won't touch, has a good chance of falling out of that big of a hole.
                        That's why I suggested the ol' fender washer and wall anchor trick.
                        Last edited by fredintoon; 10-08-2013, 11:46 PM.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                          Hi Max,
                          I've only ever fixed pinholes and solder works for that.
                          If JBweld don't stand up to gas by all means use a better suited compound as a sealant.
                          What I'm worried about is the size of the hole you are trying to fix.
                          A hole "3/4 the size of a dime" is just over a half-inch in diameter.
                          An unsupported blob, even of stuff that gas won't touch, has a good chance of falling out of that big of a hole.
                          That's why I suggested the ol' fender washer and wall anchor trick.
                          Hey Fred...i think perhaps a combination of your method with the quiksteel will fill the bill...and the hole is more like a 1/4" around...there is considerable rust on this tank and i am concerned that using an anchor bolt... as you describe it...would futher damage the area that is already compromised...the main deal is just to plug this well enough that it stops leaking and then i will just sell the car... to really repair it right is prohibitively expensive.
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey Fred...i think perhaps a combination of your method with the quiksteel will fill the bill...and the hole is more like a 1/4" around...there is considerable rust on this tank and i am concerned that using an anchor bolt... as you describe it...would futher damage the area that is already compromised...the main deal is just to plug this well enough that it stops leaking and then i will just sell the car... to really repair it right is prohibitively expensive.
                            Yes JB Weld is fine with oil but with gasohol E 10 it will melt, have not tried it with real fuel ? Believe it or not super glue is resistant to gasohol. Maybe you can find a way to use this, bolts,gaskets or what ever ? Also on my 79 silver trans am I just used stuff from the auto parts store and never had a problem.
                            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                            80 XS650 G Special II
                            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                            80 XS 1100 SG
                            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

I've been repairing fuel tank leaks for years using simple fibre glass matting and resin, when I say years I mean I've done a few and the've been on for years, '94 Ford car and VW bus/camper.

Wire brush the tank, paint with resin, apply glass mat, apply more resin. I have the Ford with tank repaired 10 years ago, still Ok now. Why do a temp repair, make it permanent for a few $$

Tom
                              1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                              1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                              1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                              1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                              X