Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter

Ride Yami is my plan.
    But I might get a used 400 Yami for the worst part of winter.
    Unkle Crusty

Comment

79SF running out of things to do on her time for number two!

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...psb1dde65e.jpg
      Last edited by Buckmaster79; 10-21-2013, 11:22 PM.
      79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
        What is winter?
        Hi Sparky,
        it's one of the world's longest 4-letter words.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy
          Jerry, 3 cord thats it?
          We donate the wood to an animal rescue group who heats their building with a wood stove through the cold months. They get wood from other sources as well and our donation gives them enough wood to get through the winter.

Here is photo of about one-third of a cord cut and ready to deliver:

I like the Jonsered 2245, nice little saw. It is working out well for my current cutting needs.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

That's very cool to donate wood like that. I have a jonsered weedeater. Man that thing is sweet.
            Jeff
            77 XS750 2D completely stock
            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post

Here is photo of about one-third of a cord cut and ready to deliver:

Back home, everyone sold wood in cord (4' x 4' x 8') but everyone here sells it in ricks... 1/2 a cord.

Cutting wood growing up is how I made spare money. I had an old blue Homelite, and my log splitter was two steel wedges and a shop hammer.

I'd be perfectly happy if I never had to do that again...
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                We donate the wood to an animal rescue group who heats their building with a wood stove through the cold months. They get wood from other sources as well and our donation gives them enough wood to get through the winter. - - -
                Hi Jerry,
                in Saskatchewan that's a "face cord". 8' x 4' x one log (16") deep.
                Not lawful here to advertise wood like that because it's mostly written
                faceCORD to fool you about the price.
                BTW, we stack the ends criss-crossed so the stack will stay square but those slopy ends look good too.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

For the uninitiated, a cord of wood measures 4 feet wide, 4 feet high, and 8 feet long. (128 cubic feet.) Wood is cut into 16 inch lengths, 3 lengths = 48 inches so 3 rows make up the width of a cord. A face cord is 1 row of wood that is 16 inches wide by 4 feet high and 8 feet long, or 1/3 of a cord. Some dealers advertise a face cord without telling you what you will be getting. Not exactly kosher but not illegal. The term "rick" is not in common use around here or in the mid-west where I grew up although I have heard it.

I used to cut wood for the paper mills when I was in high school and early college years, that was back in Wisconsin in the late '60s and early '70s. Generally got in about 120 cords of wood per year, but not cut into short blocks. The mills prefered the trees in 100 inch lengths. However I did have to peel the bark off the trees, leave them to dry all suumer, then haul / stack on a road where a trucker could get to them. My gear consisted of a tractor, heavy chains for dragging, 2 saws, one for falling and one for limbing, and gear to peel the bark off the trees. Poplar (related to aspen) was the wood of choice. I would contract with farmers to cut on their land then pay them per cord I cut.

When I first lived in Colorado (1977 - 1985) we heated with wood, generally 5 - 6 cords a year. The Forest Service issues permits in 3 or 5 cord amounts and we generally got the 5 cord permit. I built a home-made splitter which helped prep the firewood for burning. Wood was mostly pine and some juniper.

So...I am quite familiar with wood cutting both for comercial purposes and home use. These days I am reduced to building a fire in a fire pit - outdoors - which takes very little wood but is nice to sit around a fire on cool mornings with a hot beverage in hand. Have not burned wood for house heat in many years.

I got into cutting firewood for the rescue agency to have an excuse to go into the woods and work, something I inherited from my Dad who loved being out in the woods.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  BTW, we stack the ends criss-crossed so the stack will stay square but those slopy ends look good too.
                  I didn't bother to stack the ends as this wood was ready to be loaded into my truck and trailer and hauled off the the rescue agency. There we did do a better job of stacking. Point well taken.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.

Comment

Everything Jerry noted is correct regarding unit of measure (Cord vs Face Cord) and dimensions. It is commonly advertised and sold by the face cord locally when it is split and ready to burn. Of course you can request the supplier cut it longer, which is still referred to as a face cord, but the price may be adjust accordingly. We typically dont use the term rick but I have heard of it. And to make matters worse I see a lot of people incorrectly advertising the sale of face cord as cord. Or you'll find someone trying to make a buck by selling 12" long pieces as face cord.

I can purchase 6 cord (18 face) of unseasoned (green/wet) logs for $700 and that's enough for one heating season. Fortunately, I support my heating needs by taking wood off mine and my neighbors properties.

I have a 24" firebox so I typically cut my firewood no shorter than 16" but shoot for 18-20". Anything over 20" in length and it seems splitting becomes exponentially harder by hand with my maul.

One thing is for sure about burning firewood, you have to like manual labor. Especially if your splitting everything by hand.

Jerry, you've probably heard the old sayin' firewood heats twice.

I have about 4 face cord of red elm that needs cutting, I'll see if I can get a picture.
                    Last edited by WMarshy; 10-24-2013, 03:39 PM.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Update

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                      yeah, winter looms and although it's still unseasonably warm here in Saskatoon I don't see me riding much after Halloween.
                      Even if the rig can't fall over in the snow the bike tires have zero grip running on frozen roads and I lack the $1,000 to buy the appropriate snowmobile gear.
                      Big XS11 plans? Push the rig to the back of the garage until spring is about it.
                      Priority is to make sure the snowblower is running good.
                      After that, now that I've finally dragged my long neglected XS650 out of the back shed and into the garage, I will get it fixed up to ride again.
                      OK, now it's 4 days past Halloween and for sure I ain't riding until next spring.
                      It's minus 5ÂșC and an inch of snow atop sheet ice on the streets.
                      Replaced the snowblower's thrower drive belt and it started great. Stupid new belt flew off a few times but after I told the machine that the next time it threw it's belt I'd buy a new snowblower the belt stayed put and the sidewalk & driveway got cleared.
                      XS11 plan is to get the new front tire installed then mothball the rig until next spring.
                      XS650 revised plan is to build it a subframe and attach my newly acquired '82 Velorex 562 sidecar onto it.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Sucks Fred I plan on riding everyday till snow hits, then the list of projects begins immediately.
                        1979 XS1100F
                        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

As it stands right now, I'll be riding in the snow.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            As it stands right now, I'll be riding in the snow.
                            Me too, but on one if these like this!

http://youtu.be/0sXxuMjXoAY
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

In my youth I went up to Hayward many times. That video is not exactly "cross country" though...mostly lake running. The area has a lot of connected lakes. I water skied there as well as fished for sturgeon. Area used to host a major snowmobile race every winter, probably still does.

My old Yamaha Vmax 540L could hit 100+ on long open stretches like that, at least acording to the sled's speedometer. (Sled was not entirely stock.) My current Yamaha Mountain Max 700 is not quite as fast but has a long track more suited for mountain / powder snow travel. The 700 is completely stock.

Some areas in Colorado already open for winter use, but only just so. Top of Vail Pass (10,600 ft) is one place where I've already seen snomobiles out running but even there the snow is marginal. Best riding won't start till January or so.
                              Jerry Fields
                              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                              '06 Concours
                              My Galleries Page.
                              My Blog Page.

Comment

Working...
                              X