Excited for winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excited for winter

Anyone else excited for the off season or just me.

I have some huge plans for the E but all of it requires a complete tear down. Replacing everything possible with stainless steel, rear sets, clubman bars, complete seal/gasket kit for the motor, new piston rings, clutch plates, powdercoat everything possible, Jet-coat exhaust, paint job for the tank and side covers. Basically a complete rebuild of everything weather it needs it or not.

Anyone else have big plans for their 11s once its too cold to ride?
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Well, it is really not that cold around here yet. And we still get several riding days on any given month throughout winter. But, I am keeping my eye out for a Standard project bike.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I'm with Don. Everytime I pull any one bike out of service for work, we get sun & warmth that allows a ride, and I miss out.

I do plan on pulling the engine and checking valve clearances, then painting it. With my tax refund I'm thinking about Supertrapp exhaust for the bike. I want to upgrade the fuseblock to TC's box, and then clean every connector from bucket to tail light.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post

I have some huge plans for the E but all of it requires a complete tear down. Replacing everything possible with stainless steel, rear sets, clubman bars, complete seal/gasket kit for the motor, new piston rings, clutch plates, powdercoat everything possible, Jet-coat exhaust, paint job for the tank and side covers. Basically a complete rebuild of everything weather it needs it or not.

Hi Nate,
        yeah, winter looms and although it's still unseasonably warm here in Saskatoon I don't see me riding much after Halloween.
        Even if the rig can't fall over in the snow the bike tires have zero grip running on frozen roads and I lack the $1,000 to buy the appropriate snowmobile gear.
        Big XS11 plans? Push the rig to the back of the garage until spring is about it.
        Priority is to make sure the snowblower is running good.
        After that, now that I've finally dragged my long neglected XS650 out of the back shed and into the garage, I will get it fixed up to ride again.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'm going to ride all winter. I have to. I'm committed to the bikes and without a car. Ask me how I feel about this when February gets here.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
            Cleaned and relubed, torqued everything to specs, even polished some stuff while I had it all apart. Test ride was 90% better than when I started so its beer time. I'll do the swing arm bearings next weekend.
            Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
            Oh, now I see my problem. I started beer time then just watched TV and fell asleep. No wonder I don't accomplish anything ............. Guess that drinking beer and watching TV isn't really true multi-tasking??

Guess we southern riders (at least me) need to plan our maintenance work a bit better since we get little or no weather down time. Its more fun to just ride than tackle any maintenance. Glad you got those steering bearings taken care of pronto. Riding those NC, GA, SC, TN roads are tricky enough without having tire, bearing, brake, tranny or motor problems. Now you are all set for Iron Horse 2014 SE Rally.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              I'm going to ride all winter. I have to. I'm committed to the bikes and without a car. Ask me how I feel about this when February gets here.
              I ride during the winter a lot, but I've got a pretty short commute to work at @ 7 miles. I've ridden lots of times down into the single digits with my regular mesh jacket with a liner, then a thin windbreaker over that. As long as it blocks the wind out, I'm good. That and some decent gloves (Snowmobile mittens work great.. keeps your fingers together and much warmer) and a smock thing for my neck, and I'm good to go. If I go any distance, some insulated Carhart coveralls help my legs. Went almost 1200 miles dressed like that one day where it got as low as single digits and never got above 37. BUT.. I had one of those air activated hand warmer things in the toe of each boot and in each mitten.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Last year I rode mid way through December (around 15 degrees). This year I just have too many plans to push it that late.
                Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Winter rebuild

We plan on going through the top end.The shop owner/mech says he wants to do some porting on the head.While were doing that Carbon will be getting a big bore kit put on.Can't wait to feel what those Keihin 39mm's do with them slugs.These carbs turned this into another bike.Working on another xs in the garage right now and it's going to be hotter then Carbon.

Comment

this winter I am going to paint the xs11 and check valve clearances since I have never did it. I am going to take the engine out of the xs750 and paint it and it needs the valve shims done.
                    Jeff
                    77 XS750 2D completely stock
                    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

What is winter?
                      79F
                      "Excelsior"
                      Honda gl1100 handlebar
                      Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
                      OE headers,Jardine slipons
                      Hid headlight 6000k
                      Stock jets
                      Shinko 712 F & R
                      Oe hardbags and luggage rack
                      TC fuse block
                      K&n filter with oe airbox
                      Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Not exited at all! 'Still gottta get some more firewood in too!
                        On the other hand, currently 45 degrees here but should hit about 61 today.
                        Kick stands up at 8AM this morning, ride to Staunton VA, meet Keith on his 'Wing at 11 AM. then ride to Snowshoe WV, then to Seneca Rocks where we will part ways and return home. 'Should be a good ride once it warms up. I just hope that the Wild Life stays in the woods!
                        Greg C.
                        '93 KLX 650-C
                        '86 GL-1200 Aspencade

Comment

Originally posted by xsivebiker
                          'Still gottta get some more firewood in too!
                          Just finished my 3 cords. New Jonsered 2245 helped. May get a little more but snow on my lot at 9,600 feet has more or less put an end to most work.

Originally posted by sparkfly88
                          What is winter?
                          Looks something like this:

Biggest job is yardwork as Cottonwood trees in my and neighbor's yards are starting to drop their leaves. Rake, mulch, rake, mulch.......
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                            Just finished my 3 cords. New Jonsered 2245 helped. May get a little more but snow on my lot at 9,600 feet has more or less put an end to most work.

Looks something like this:

Biggest job is yardwork as Cottonwood trees in my and neighbor's yards are starting to drop their leaves. Rake, mulch, rake, mulch.......
                            Jerry, 3 cord thats it?

I just move my firewood for the season up to the house, all 6 cord of it. Still cutting some smaller stuff that laying around thats ready to burn. I burnt about 18 face cord last year and I think this season might be a good one so I want 20 on hand just to be sure. Im getting the basement all cleaned up and ready for the heating season. Its been really nice weather up here, mid to upper 60's and clear. Just had a front come through that brought rain and now highs in the mid 50's will be setting in, time to start a fire.

The Johnsered's are great saws! I have a 2159 and love it.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                              Well, it is really not that cold around here yet. And we still get several riding days on any given month throughout winter. But, I am keeping my eye out for a Standard project bike.
                              DG, you could work on my E/megasquirt project

I've stalled on my project that I started in the spring. Too many other summer/fall projects around the house. I was hoping to get some painting done and get the engine back in the frame

I acquired an '83 Honda Nighthawk 550 that needs some TLC this winter and need to get my XJ650 fixed up to sell in the spring.

It sounds like I should spend some time getting the garage cleaned up and organized so I can get some work done AND so that my wife can park in there this winter!
                              82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                              Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X