A photo of my XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
    Fred, it's not a hardtail. It's got a monoshock. Read post #4.
    Hi Eveready,
    I can't zoom the photo big enough to see for sure but post #3 led me to suppose that the "home made shock" supported the seat rather than suspended the swingarm.
    Perhaps snapondreamer can post a more detailed photo or explain what was done?
    Certainly I'd prefer to think that the bike had an updated rear suspension than that the rear frame had been moved back to the 1930s.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Can you see how the rear suspension works now?

I know its not a good pic of the shock but under the sadle is a rocker arm that is pushed by the struts that are bolted to the swingarms original shock mounts.I shall try and take some pics later that show it clearer.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by snapondreamer View Post
            Can you see how the rear suspension works now? - - - under the saddle is a rocker arm that is pushed by the struts that are bolted to the swingarm's original shock mounts. I shall try and take some pics later that show it clearer.
            Hi snapon,
            I see it all now.
            You wanted the "look" of a bobber without getting your spine punched up into your skull by a hardtailed frame.
            Bloody brilliant!
            I now surmise that you only driving as far as Cornwall can be attributed to swapping in the smaller Special tank and has nothing to do with being 25 years older these days?
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I made the tank from a Kawasaki Z440 LTD.But I re-made the underside.Its smaller than a XS specials tank.I wanted it to make the motor look bigger.So far the farthest i'v travelled is 70 miles,it has no taps due to how close the carb tops are.Generaly I re-fill every 50 miles.This is only my town/commuting bike not a tourer.

Comment

This bike is really nice. Very neat rear suspension. Kinda neat to see something from outside the box...well done mate!
                Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
                  Fred, it's not a hardtail. It's got a monoshock. Read post #4.
                  Hi Eveready please do not confuse Fred with the facts...we love his rants against hard tails
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

hi snapondreamer,
                    Nice design. Does the rear suspension work as well as you expected?
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hi Mr MaximPhil,the rear suspension is ok but my home made shock is very crude and doesn't give a very plush ride.But the sprung saddle makes up for it.The saddle has some very clever high density foam in so it's quite comfy not got the tank range to really test my ass tho

Comment

Originally posted by snapondreamer View Post
                        Hi Mr MaximPhil,the rear suspension is ok but my home made shock is very crude and doesn't give a very plush ride.But the sprung saddle makes up for it.The saddle has some very clever high density foam in so it's quite comfy not got the tank range to really test my ass tho
                        Hi snapon,
                        to misquote Yoda
                        When as old as me you are, as short a ride distance as me you will also be comfortable with
                        That is, a large gas tank lets you plan your journey around "where is the next area of natural beauty or architectural interest or decent beer?",
                        rather than "where is the next effin' petrol pump?"
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My virgin ya right!

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/bu...de65e.jpg.html

thinking about another to polish!
                          79 SF

Comment

Working...
                          X