Time for Newer bike - suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unicorncomputer View Post
    I am thinking that I want to purchase a newer bike. I am still thinking about staying with Yamaha - V-Star maybe in the 2005-2007 range.
    Does anybody here have any thoughts positive or negative about the newer yamaha bikes?
    Thank you,
    Steve
    Hi Steve,
    what to buy next is such a personal thing that I dunno what you should get.
    Here's what I'd look for if I had the money.
    NOT a cruiser. I don't see myself atop a 10 foot long 1,000lb monster.
    The XS11 is as far as I'd go in that direction and I had to hang a sidecar on it to feel safe.
    NOT a sportbike. I don't have the figure for the monkey humping a football riding position or a 3'-6" tall sex midget to ride pillion.
    What's left? Not much.
    With the lack of normal sized bikes that'd carry two in comfort I'd have to look at (shudder) one of the super-scooters.
    Does Yamaha make one?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My newest bike (to me) was a 2005 Vstar 1100, very classic looking, good low end, easy maintenance, but as someone already pointed out, it was very tedious after 125kms/hr on the highway. Lots of vibration made for a bike I kept for 2 years but seldom rode out of town. I sold it for a fair price and bought a katana 600 sport touring bike, better handling, good ergonomics, cheap, but lacking being awesome at any one thing while being a good all rounder. Bang for the buck in my view is still the old bikes. A little modification, some paint, and you've got something bulletproof that'll still turn heads a be an absolute "grin factory" to ride around on.
      81 H "Traumaha"
      06 KLR 650
      06 Katana 600 (Sold)
      05 Star 1100 (Sold)
      78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
      79 RD400 (Stolen)
      78 KE175
      Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

possible new bike?

As Garagamus pointed out, for some of us an older bike gives us the biggest "bang for the buck". I found that I hardly ever rode my V-Star 1100 after I bought my XS1100 because the XS is just as reliable, way faster, way smoother, and WAY cooler and more interesting. I get into a conversation every single time I ride the XS because it is the only one in a vintage show or in the parking lot at bike night. That didn't happen with the newer bike.

Comment

I have a lot of bikes, and my XS bikes get the most likes and convos going. Usually "what year is that?" or, "wanna race?"
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hard to beat an XS11. Swapped rides with a friend on a 03 Road Star 1600. Gorgeous bike, fantastic handling. At road speeds the engine thumped so much it felt as if the wheels were out of balance. He was impressed with my XS, first, because I could keep up with him (!) and second, after he rode it, because it was so smooth. If I could buy a new bike I'd look hard at the new FZ 9 Yammy. 415 lbs wet, 113 bhp. standard riding position, 44 mpg. What's not to like? Oh yeah, and the howl of a triple. For $8K.
            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

New bike

Nearly all the new bikes are good.
              First decision I would suggest is sport bike or cruiser.
              If it is a cruiser your own preference might be your guide.
              Personally I would would not ride any of the over weight tanks.

If it is a sport bike you might let price be your first guide. Some are around $10,000 and some are twice that. Some sport bikes have no options for saddle bags or a top box. If you want to carry stuff that may limit your options.
              My other bike is a 006 SV1000S Suzuki and I love it. Has good power and handles well. Have the bags and box for the extra gear.

And one more consideration. Will you ride solo or two up.
              Mrs Snippets much prefers the XS11S Yami over Bluzu the Suzuki.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

I have a Suzuki V Strom 650,doesnt have the power of the XS, but its very comfortable,alot of leg room,handles well in the twisties, great mpg's, and you can get any gadget;s you could possibly want. Oh, and for a added bonus, if you find a fire trail you want to explore,have at it. I know people who have 240,000 mi. on it,with no problems.
                FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

For 3 choices-- check this Honda out-

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb...w_cb1100_pmt_p

I would consider a new (or a year or 2 old ) Triumph T100.

I rode a 1991 K75 BMW, not my cup of tea, but quite civilized. They made them up to 1995. I would check out the fairing outfitted K75S, or K75RT.
                  79 F
                  Previously owned: (among others)
                  1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                  1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                  1973 Suzuki TM 125
                  1979 XS1100 F
                  2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                  1991 BMW K75

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Steve,
                    what to buy next is such a personal thing that I dunno what you should get.
                    Here's what I'd look for if I had the money.
                    NOT a cruiser. I don't see myself atop a 10 foot long 1,000lb monster.
                    The XS11 is as far as I'd go in that direction and I had to hang a sidecar on it to feel safe.
                    NOT a sportbike. I don't have the figure for the monkey humping a football riding position or a 3'-6" tall sex midget to ride pillion.
                    What's left? Not much.
                    With the lack of normal sized bikes that'd carry two in comfort I'd have to look at (shudder) one of the super-scooters.
                    Does Yamaha make one?

Yes Yamaha does make a "Super Scooter" it's the Majesty. It's 400cc. I looked at a used one on Craig's list. It was under $2K, but there was something wrong with the steering, I drove it half a block and that was almost too far. They seem like nice bikes, this one must have been abused.

Honda has the silver wing I think they're 600cc, and Suzuki has the Burgmans at 400 and 650cc.

I ended up getting not one, but two Burgman 400s (one's running, and the other is a work in progress). They're pretty quick, not like an 1100, but not bad. I put a Givi windscreen on and now I can cruise at 75 on the highway in comfort. top speed is in the 90's, nice stable little ride that gets a little bit better than 60mpg around town.
                    Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
                    1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
                    2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
                    2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      Suggestions? Spend one tenth the price you would on your new bike and put it into your XS11 and ride it another 30 years.
                      Gotta say I am with Tod on this one...

What kind of improvements would spending $4,000 on your XS get you vs $8-10,000+ for a new(er) bike? Heck you could afford fuel injection and cartridge suspension!

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

If money was no object then I would recommend a Motus MST-R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DByGC5AlY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFl79fI4Hw
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                        X