Time for Newer bike - suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for Newer bike - suggestions

I am thinking that I want to purchase a newer bike. I am still thinking about staying with Yamaha - V-Star maybe in the 2005-2007 range.

Does anybody here have any thoughts positive or negative about the newer yamaha bikes?

Thank you,

Steve
    79 XS1100 SF

I have a 2007 FJR1300 and love it. I've put 53,000 trouble-free miles on it.
    79 SF

Comment

I dont see how you could go wrong with any model from ant of the big 4 Japanese companies. Myself I would pick a model that 1- was pwerfull enough (any v twin under 1000cc wont have suffecient accelreration power) 2 pick a popular well selling model so parts are eeeeeeeeeeasy to get quickly!!!!

Comment

I have an '03 Honda ST1300 that I really like. ABS, automatic windshield, heated grips, good hard bags, quiet, 50mpg at 65 mph.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

newer bike...?

I just sold my 2007 V-Star 1100. I put about 10,000 miles on it in the 18months I owned it, had 3,000 on it when I bought it. Very nice bike for cruising, 40mpg all the time, very low maintenance, changing the oil filter is a pain in the butt(gotta remove the front exhaust header), suspension rode very nice on the hiway up to about 75mph then the engine vibrates a lot. kinda annoying on a long ride. very low seat height, bike weighs about 650 lbs. but easy to push around in the garage or parking lot. nice bikes.

Comment

When my XS650 would not start because of me putting MIC 36 MM racing carbs on. I ran a Suzi 850 Valusa to go get plugs, (his purchase was influnced by me ) Never got used to a bike so fast, did the job and could not believe how easily I settled into it.
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

If I were not happy with my XJR, I'd get myself a full power V-max. If I had loads of money too, I'd buy the 1700 cc version. They are not renowned for their handling but are extremely fast.

Personally, Yamaha got me when I bought my first Xs1100 brand new. The bike was a quantum leap in design at the time. It might look old hat now but when they first came out, they were cutting edge and on top in th super bike war for a couple of years. They were the only Japanese manufacturer to use Allen bolts on the engine and not those horrible cross head bolts made of soft metal. Also, the bike looked a lot more stylish and well-finished than the other three makes. They introduced (over here at any rate), the idea of black engine casings, oblong headlamp and many other new ideas. Honda were still into shiny alloy a la CBX1000. Suzuki had the renowned GS1000 which, IMO, has to be the most boring looking bike in motorcycling history. Kawasaki looked chunkier and more angular...I had a GT750 and went from Scotland to St Tropez non stop (apart from a one hour ferry crossing) without missing a beat. It was an excellent bike but.......

So, once hooked, I've stuck with Yamaha. Its weird because when I have other makes, it never quite feels right. I've had loads of bikes but a Yamaha does it for me!
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by JTNWEvo View Post
                I have a 2007 FJR1300 and love it. I've put 53,000 trouble-free miles on it.
                I'd second that... I have the xjr1300 (as I keep telling everyone...sorry folks) and it's a excellent engine. I still wish it had 6 gears though!
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

For some reason, I also only have yamaha bikes. Get a supersports bike.
                  1980 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                    I'd second that... I have the xjr1300 (as I keep telling everyone...sorry folks) and it's a excellent engine. I still wish it had 6 gears though!
                    I've got the XJR1200, which is a better bike altogether, shame it wasn't imported into the States.
                    This is my brand new bike, still on the showroom floor, Triumph Tiger 800XC, these are available in the States.

Comment

As Skids stated, the St's, in the earlier 1100 or the bit more sport riding position of the 13 are both excellent choices that are as trouble free of a scoot you'll find. Older folks seem to be the majority of owners of either, so they don't get hammered very hard. Several on the STowners site that are well over 300k and still get rode some serious long distances. Just a great bike that does it all WELL, as the bike rags have stated.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

OFC I too can attest to the durability and longevity of the ST1100 platform and to a certain extent the 1300 platform as well...but the bulk of my experience is on the 1100...rock solid and will go 300000+ miles. A ton of info and people to help you fix anything and everything under the sun. These bikes dont excel in any one area but they do everything very well...and is a well balanced machine...V4s' Rock!
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
                          I've got the XJR1200, which is a better bike altogether, shame it wasn't imported into the States.
                          This is my brand new bike, still on the showroom floor, Triumph Tiger 800XC, these are available in the States.
                          Handy wheels, that bike. I'm curious... In what way(s) are the xjr1200's considered superior to the 1300 version? Is that a generally held belief or just your own? We all have our preferences and dislikes (sorry, all you GS1000 devotees out there..wasn't trying to be rude) but it would be interesting to see how the 1200 differs..

Comment

I'm joking with you. They are exactly the same really.
                            Only said it because i made my XJR1200 from my old FJ1200, so actually it's got more power than the standard XJR12 or 13. 130bhp compared to 95 or 100 is it?

Comment

Suggestions? Spend one tenth the price you would on your new bike and put it into your XS11 and ride it another 30 years.
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own