No announcement yet.

Standard Tank wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Fred! I like your idea, it'd be an easier solder/brazing job to plate up the original rectangular hole and cut a round hole for one of them caps.

I might steal that from you if you don't mind. Now then, where's that old knackered dented tank of mine, whilst the top is out I can knock out the dents too
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I thank you all for your feedback and great ideas. Unfortuntately I do not weld so I would have to have somebody local weld the the new piece and the cap to the tank for me. I do know a couple local guys who would do this for cheap and do a good job.

As far as cleaning, how many of you prefer the electrolysis method as opposed to some acid base solution for cleaning your tanks? I'm not sure if there was a poll someone on this subject but it would be great to find out how these methods matched up to one another. I will clean the tank first and report back with my results one I decide which method would work best with this challenged gas tank.

Thanks!
      Stephen-Catskills

1980 XS1100SG
      Raptor 660 ACCT, Kerker turnout exhaust, progressive fork springs, Showa shocks and Tkat forkbrace.

Previous ride.
      1982 XJ650 SOLD!

Comment

Acid will destroy good metal as well as rust. The electrolysis method in theory does not harm good metal, only the rust. I would go for electrolysis over acid. It is more difocult and takes longer but is safer for the tank.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
        X