No announcement yet.

Just my luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With my last comment about advice I was just trying to inject a little hummor into it all. Your profile comment (Wow, did I just give advice? should I be doing that?) Is where I was comming from We all give advice about locking things up when this happens then we become the next in line to have it happen to us. And what do we say " Wow that just happend to me".

Honestly its not a joking matter but we have to laugh or cry get over it.

I personally can not stand a theif and even if its a stupid way to for me to think it might become a life and death matter for anyone I catch. Seems anymore we have a sociaty that supports no punishment for those that steal. You catch a theif and the court lets them go. You injure one you get a law suit. You kill one and hundreds crowd the streets wanting to hang you.

I hope you do find out who did it.
    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
    1980 G Silverbird
    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
    1198 Overbore kit
    Grizzly 660 ACCT
    Barnett Clutch Springs
    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
    122.5 Main Jets
    ACCT Mod
    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
    Antivibe Bar ends
    Rear trunk add-on
    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I thought that was what u were talking about. Lol. I was scratching my head on that one. Lol lmao
      79 SF

Wow, did I just give advice? should I be doing that?

1983 GL1100 bored to a 1300 sold
      1976cb750 project gifted to brother
      1979 xs1100s currently working on

Wanting to have that head turner that makes people shut up!

Comment

Floatless

Hi Don,
        good that Andreas had a set of carbs for you, mine wouldn't have worked for you.
        I finally checked that '79 carb rack to find they'd been robbed of their floats, float needles, slow running needles, jets & slide return springs.
        I suppose the $30 I paid is a fair price for a set of XS11 carb body castings?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Don,

I hate to bring this up, but the carbs are almost totally pure aluminum, and heavy, and with scrap metal prices nowadays, the theives just probably grabbed them because they were LOOSE. I would contact a local scrap metal place to see if anybody brought in a set of carbs for scrap!?!?

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey Fred. if you bought those at the Red deer swap meet a yr or so ago the you bought them out from under me. I was trying to decide if I should spend the cash on them and when I went back he had sold them to an older gentleman. Oh well you snooze you lose.
            If we are talking about the same set, he did tell me that they were far from complete and were basically bodies only. However I have bought a bike from him and do stop in and get stuff at his shop so maybe he knew better than to try to sell me something I could bring back the next day and yell at him.
            I also bought a set of crash guards for a Susuki GS 1100 L that day from a seller farther away. They do not fit the bike it was said they would. Now I have a brand new (NOS) set of crash bars that I have no idea what it fits. The box it came in said it was for the bike I bought it for. Far more in gas money to return them than I spent on them so I may eventually find out what they fit, but I am stuck with them.
            I guess buyer beware is the way to approach these swap meets.
            Last edited by Rasputin; 07-15-2013, 06:29 PM.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              Hey Don,

I hate to bring this up, but the carbs are almost totally pure aluminum, and heavy, and with scrap metal prices nowadays, the theives just probably grabbed them because they were LOOSE. I would contact a local scrap metal place to see if anybody brought in a set of carbs for scrap!?!?

T.C.
              Hi T.C.
              because the carbs have other materials (steel, brass, rubber) mixed in with the aluminum the scrapyard will only pay the "dirty aluminum" price which means the thieves will need to steal a pickup truck load to haul to the scrapyard to pay for their gas.
              That's delay #1
              Then a scrapyard worker will dismantle all the "dirty aluminum" items to upgrade them to "clean aluminum" for the melting pot.
              That's delay #2
              Scrapyards will happily sell anything on their scrap pile (I once bought a complete XS650 {admittedly in sorry shape}from Inland Steel for $45) by the pound at mebbe twice their buying price.
              So Don still has a reasonable chance of finding his carbs if he's quick.
              Last edited by fredintoon; 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                - - - he did tell me that they were far from complete and were basically bodies only. - - -
                Hi Rasputin,
                he never told me that. I was surprised he agreed on $30 so easily, now I know why. But WTF, those castings are in great shape. And the diaphragms alone are worth more than that unless the bastards got holes in them.
                Last edited by fredintoon; 07-15-2013, 07:26 PM.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X