No announcement yet.

Marriage and Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, about $50 to mount and balance the two. By the time I bought spoons/irons and a couple of bearings to balance them myself... of course I'd have to get these new irons made by PB Baumann. They're really good stuff. (Uh, oh. Here I go again.) I havent used the Carbtune yet, but it looks great. If anyone is considering the better Motion Pro unit (they make two models) it's only $30 more. I know that's a decent amount of beer, but less than a bottle of Johnny Walker, and I am trying to think long term.
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

I have to revise that last entry. $30 to mount and balance 2 tires at a local shop. I think that is pretty good. What have other XSer's paid recently?
      2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Most of the time my tire changes coincide with annual inspection, so my guy either does it for nothing, or $5, or $10, whatever he feels like that day. I don't complain.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

FWIW, in retrospect, it might be best to park the bike until the proper time to buy the tires. You got married! You'll be a lot happier if you learn to compromise sooner than later.

BEST WISHES!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Maybe just...gulp...ride on the back of hers for a while. She may get tired of that real quick, and want you back on your own ride.

Comment

Uhh, it's a 250 Rebel. People might start to wonder if I "play for the other team", if you know what I mean. Also, with my wife and I on board, I'd hate to be next to all those Festivas and Metros at stoplights. Could be a little embarassing.
              2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Ya know Tommy, my wifes first bike was a 450 Nighthawk. Great little bike...until we went two up. I have had to ride on the back of her FJ1100 a couple of times, but I just play it up at the stoplights. Besides, I've got some really great 'handles' to hold onto!

Comment

Originally posted by tommystinson
                  I have to revise that last entry. $30 to mount and balance 2 tires at a local shop. I think that is pretty good. What have other XSer's paid recently?
                  That is better than me. I paid $20 per tire.
                  Robert
                  79 SF

Comment

tires

I always install and balance my own,just a couple of large screwdrivers and lots of elbow grease, im what you would call frugal or cheap whatever!!!..MITCH
                    Doug Mitchell
                    82 XJ1100 sold
                    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Re: tires

Originally posted by mitch
                      I always install and balance my own,just a couple of large screwdrivers and lots of elbow grease, im what you would call frugal or cheap whatever!!!..MITCH
                      Screwdrivers almost always scratch the rim and damage the tire. Try getting a sent of old auto type tire irons. I've been using a set for almost 25 years and they're almost always enough for the job. I also have 1 Michelin motorcycle tire iron. Between these, they're always enough.

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Just tell her your last girlfriend wouldn't have minded.
                        Manley manners rule #4: Woman like to be reminded that they weren't your first.
                        79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                        07 V-star 1100
                        Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Hey Geezer

Nice pic bye the way, I forgot to mention lots and lots of dish soap, time i get my tires on my hands are all girly!! lol They are eazy to clean up though. You will cringe when i tell you how i break them down, dont laugh but it involves my wifes car 2 pieces of two by four and a 5 foot long piece of six by six, i bet you got the pic now !.......MITCH
                          Doug Mitchell
                          82 XJ1100 sold
                          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Re: Hey Geezer

Originally posted by mitch
                            Nice pic bye the way, I forgot to mention lots and lots of dish soap, time i get my tires on my hands are all girly!! lol They are eazy to clean up though. You will cringe when i tell you how i break them down, dont laugh but it involves my wifes car 2 pieces of two by four and a 5 foot long piece of six by six, i bet you got the pic now !.......MITCH
                            I get the picture but it's not a prettty one. ;o) BTW, after a dozen years in the computer biz, my hands have gotten a bit girly too.

When I had to change the rear skin on the Special I sold last year I was able to break it down with tire irons and a lot of swearing.

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Well, with the new house in the works, I decided to do it myself. I got the tires off, cleaned the rims real well, and got the new ones on okay. I'm waiting on my new bearings so I can balance them. Had to buy new valve stems. Turns out they are Marchesini, and aluminum. Seems funny, putting lightweight stems in a 600 lb. bike. Marchesini makes wheels for the well heeled racing motorcyclist crowd. Some of them cost more than $2000. EACH. So now I'll tell folks I've got Marchesini's on my bike, and let them make wild assumptions about my sanity. Or checkbook. LOL
                              2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Here's a link for some wheel prices at bikebandit.com. Just make sure you are sitting down www.bandit.com.au/indexmarchesini.html Ouch!
                                2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Working...
                                X